Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sensitivity to Sjlicone?
Sensitivity to Sjlicone?
I have had to use a cpap and now Bipap machine for a long time. I have endure very painful muscles that nurses suggested might be fibromyalgia. Also painful hips, mostly right side that even cortisone would not help for more that a couple of days. I have tried lots of different full face masks and my pressure is 18.4 and 12.0 which may need to be adjusted with the new mask. My machine is the Resmed air curve 10 for her. I gave up on taking oxycodone for pain and found that I could somehow cope using electrotherapy for very long periods of time. Like an all day ordeal using 8 leads. 
Then something recently happened. I decided I wanted to try the New Air Touch F20 mask that uses memory foam we sleep on a memory foam bed and love it. Finally got my supplier to carry the mask and just received it about 4 or 5 days ago. I was surprised the very first morning with it actually felt good to walk, even though my muscles are quite weak. I even did a couple of laps around are home because it actually felt good to walk. I can now get around mostly without any form of support when I used to need crutches to even get to our bathroom. The only difference I know of is the mask change. 
Doctor says silicone is inert and should not be a problem, yet I cannot explain why I am doing so much better. It has been about 2 weeks since my last electrotherapy use and was extremely painful before my first night with the new mask. So I think it is more than just chance.

I am concerned as well as I am schedulted to see an eye doctor for Cataract Surgery, and that lenses are made of either silicone or acrylic. 
if my body is sensitive to silicone do I dare let some be put in my eyes.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sensitivity to Sjlicone?
A question best left for you and your doctor.
Here's an article on IOL (Inter Ocular Lens) material and lens design.
http://phaco.ascrs.org/sites/phaco.ascrs...r%2012.pdf

As I read it, the use of Silicone has fallen out of favor. There are pros and cons to all materials. You should have that discussion with your doctor.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Only way to know for sure is to see your physician who should send you to an allergist.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just a thought . What if you switch back to you old mask for a couple dats and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be that the old mask was leaking and not giving full treatment. The new mask is known for minimal leakage and could be a large part of why you are feeling better. It also may well be the silicon and there are a few makers of material liners that go between you face and mask. I'm sure someone will bring out a memory foam liner cut out of a thin sheet, to use in place of the fabric liners soon.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I really appreciate the responses received. Thank you.
It is hard to do but I am going.back to the air fit f20 cushion. This way everything is constantl except the cushion change.It is hard to do as I am certain that. I will be in.major pain tomorrow or Saturday
Now about my settings and leakages. I have fine tuned my settings and have on several occassion obtained the 0.0 AHI. The leakage has been extremely low.  I do use my machine a lot. Since I have OCPD caused by medical intervention. Some times it is easier to lie in bed and watch TV then to be tied to oxygen. I do think my pressures may need to be adjusted down the road as my AHI seem to be higher with the air touch memory foam.
About cloth,  I do not think in my situation as it is not inflammation.ation local to the silicone. The inflammation is inside my body. Similar to symptoms women with broken silicone breast implants experienced.
I know this sounds impossible but appears to be happening to me.

I really loved reading about materials used in cataract Surgery. My appointment is almost 2 weeks away and would like to be somewhat informed.

Even as I like hear typing my right hip is now trobing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update. 
Got up for nature visit around 6am local time. To ender but able to walk on.my own 4 1/2 hours later and my body is in agony. It hurts to move in bed with our to even any weight on it. In morning I tough I might be wrong and it was chance but not now. Back to air touch h mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does anyone know how to get information on materials used in cpap masks. Tried to find MSDS with no luck. Something in the mask has been causing me harm. I am tired of being an invalid now possibly caused by medical devices. I want to get well. Resmed is not saying what the mask is made of only that they call it infinity seal. Are gases used during it's construction being breathe in?
Anyone know how to get information?
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope this attachment works 
.pdf   104484_pb-590_mask-materials_product-bulletin_jan_09 (1).pdf (Size: 54.27 KB / Downloads: 87)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much. I don't know how but it is certainly hurting my hip and possibly my lungs. Silicone is something I will have to keep away from me. This will not be easy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  First Time User of the P30i - Nose sensitivity Columbiabill 7 1,705 03-09-2023, 08:29 AM
Last Post: JoeP
  Adjusting machine sensitivity to release air in response to a weaker inhale? Gugliano 4 890 05-05-2022, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Gugliano
  Sensitivity to small pressure changes logit 11 1,948 01-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Question about APAP machines and sensitivity to hypopneas slarai 4 1,714 08-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  Sleep apnea, insomnia, and sound sensitivity... gsilver 8 4,865 07-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Last Post: RonWessels
  [News] Increasing Sleep Time Reduces Pain Sensitivity ApneaNews 0 1,808 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Last Post: ApneaNews

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.