Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Seperate charge for integrated humidifier
Money 
Seperate charge for integrated humidifier
How can the DMA possibly charge me seperate for a humidifier that is part of the machine?? This was not on my January bill and on February it is on there twice! I think I need to report them to someone. Do I call insurance fraud or what?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seperate charge for integrated humidifier
This is typical billing practice and is generally allowed and almost required by the method for billing DME which requires all the components to be coded for reimbursement from insurance. It maximizes the billed amount, and does not change the ultimately allowed amount. If you are paying out of pocket, however you'll be screwed.

DMEs individually code the machine, humidifier, hose, filters, mask cushion, head gear and mask frame. They can bill fantasy prices, but get reimbursed by insurance, according to a contractual allowed amount. I have heard of people complaining to their state's attorney general or consumer affairs offices and having the charges reversed. Especially if it is being paid out of pocket. The Resmed integrated humidifier really threw a wrench into the works. Respironics continues to have modules that can be separated.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seperate charge for integrated humidifier
Asked and answered.

If you are paying out of pocket, you might get relief by calling the dispensing company.
Depending on which criminals DME you are dealing with.

US Medicare has been allowing this practice; and most insurance companies follow Medicare rules.
It would be difficult to fight in court.

Most states do have a State Health Insurance Program (SHIP) that may advocate for you.
There is also a state insurance commissioner. If the commissioner is nearing election time; they might also get involved.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 786 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 514 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.