Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Septoplasty and Turbinate Surgery
RE: Septoplasty and Turbinate Surgery
Sleepy today couldn't sleep properly last night noisy breathing and nose feel blocked and dry. I,m keeping the sinus rinses and taking the aniboitic but just keeping nodding off even while typing this note. doc don,t want me to use cpap till middle of next week going to make a cup of coffee to help me going through ..............noddy nodding off ...............Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
a week later, just had 1.6 hours nap with pap usual auto setting and nasal mask felt better even with a cold than yesterday nap with Quattro FX full face mask, cpap pressure set at 8 and would try sleep with pap from now.
I don,t know yet if surgery worked or not, doc appointment next week
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the updates, Zonk... really interested in finding out whether this helps your sleep apnea at all or at least a little bit.

let us know what you find out with the Doc.

Thanks
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You don't notice it's easier to breathe when lying down? That's of course without a CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 04:21 PM)zonk Wrote: I,m having the surgery next Tuesday on the 24th of April.
Any positive thoughts from those who have had the surgery and any feedback is much appreciated.

I went to see a ENT doctor yesterday, he suggests that I do the "septoplasty bilateral turbinate reduction surgery". I have not set a date yet. I have problem breathing through my nose especially I have mucus in my mouth frequently. I wonder what the risks and side effects of this surgery. Should I get a second opinion before making the decision? I appreciate anybody's inputs. Thanks very much
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2012, 01:14 PM)SamWong2012 Wrote: I went to see a ENT doctor yesterday, he suggests that I do the "septoplasty bilateral turbinate reduction surgery". I have not set a date yet. I have problem breathing through my nose especially I have mucus in my mouth frequently. I wonder what the risks and side effects of this surgery. Should I get a second opinion before making the decision? I appreciate anybody's inputs. Thanks very much
As in any surgical procedure there would be some risks or complication of general anaesthesia, bleeding, infections ...plus failure to improve the nasal airways but hopefully the benefits outweigh the risks. Try nasal washes to start (Neilmed sinus rinse, bottle or neti pot) it help with clearing the mucus from the nose and improve breathing. If the septum is severely bent than the septoplasty would help as it straighten the septum and to breathe from both nostrils, mine was blocked from one side. Having said that most people have some deviated septum to some degree and can get by without having the surgery. Get the CT scan done and ask your ENT to look into the nose with the camera.
Second opinion may be helpful but I think only go there if yourself satisfied that the surgery is the right choice for you bc as its said " if you only have a hammer everything looks like a nail" Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
3rd week still nose feel sore like been in a boxing match and never expected it to be such a pain. The swelling didn't get any better yet sometimes I have my doubt but doctor say it take time to heal and get better. I can,t use my nasal mask for now have go back to the old Quattro which leaked a lot but suppose its better than nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the update, Zonk... man, I wouldn't want to go through what you've done... sure doesn't sound like fun. I'm hoping that in the end it will have been worth the trouble and pain, though.

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, at least you're back on your CPAP therapy. Getting a better night's sleep will help with the healing. It does take some folks longer than others to heal. Are you taking an anti-inflammatory such as Advil for the swelling and pain? Are you doing the sinus irrigations as prescribed? Are you taking a decongestant?

I noticed in another thread you said you never have sinus infections. This surprises me, as the usual reason for this type of surgery in adults is chronic sinusitus.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
5 weeks post-op, its frustrating the recovery until now been miserable and not seen any sign of success

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 250 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 383 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP issues after tonsillectomy + septoplasty bloom25 14 1,333 01-31-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: bloom25
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,951 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,363 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.