Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Serious Leakage the Simplus Mask
Serious Leakage the Simplus Mask
I have been having some serious leakage with this Simplus mask. I don't remember the leaks when I wake up, but Sleepyhead says it is pretty bad. What can I do to reduce it?
RedBarron

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, first for the Jew, and also for the Greek [Gentile]." Romans 1:16 CSB
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Serious Leakage the Simplus Mask
The Simplus is known for leaking up the side of the nose and blowing into your eyes - this can be mitigated by making a liner of soft fabric and draping it over your nose. That might take care of some of the persistent low-level leak. Otherwise it's a matter of ensuring the mask and your skin are very clean and dry before masking up (especially if you have oily skin) and ensuring the straps are adjusted correctly (not too tight).

Your machine has a mask fit setting which blows air at the highest prescribed pressure - use this when you first mask up and see where the air is leaking. It may be that it fits fine when you're on your back but gets dislodged if you roll over.

If all else fails (and sometimes it does) you might need to try a different type of mask. Many of us have gone through several masks before finding the right one.
Post Reply Post Reply
The bridge of the nose is where I notice the leaks. I wash my mask daily and let it dry for several hours before bedtime. How should I make a liner and would something like an old t-shirt work or would that be too porous?
RedBarron

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, first for the Jew, and also for the Greek [Gentile]." Romans 1:16 CSB
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, I have had the problem of my mask cushion separating from the frame twice in the last week and the mask is only a week old. I will be lying there asleep when a huge leak wakes me up. I try to adjust the mask by reseating on my nose only to have the mask cushion and frame separate from each other. I end up pulling the mask off and attaching my old P10 just to get through the night.
RedBarron

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2018, 05:23 PM)Barron1961 Wrote: Also, I have had the problem of my mask cushion separating from the frame twice in the last week and the mask is only a week old. I will be lying there asleep when a huge leak wakes me up. I try to adjust the mask by reseating on my nose only to have the mask cushion and frame separate from each other. I end up pulling the mask off and attaching my old P10 just to get through the night.

I have noticed the separation of the cushion and frame myself when hanging the mask up when I get up for the day. 

I don't know how well it worked, but in dealing with a lot of used equipment, I've seen a few tricks. On one mask a saw where a user placed a dab of rubber cement on the mask to keep it together. It's not permanent but I don't know if it would fume the mask. I've seen it, don't know if I'd do it.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2018, 02:57 PM)Barron1961 Wrote: The bridge of the nose is where I notice the leaks. I wash my mask daily and let it dry for several hours before bedtime. How should I make a liner and would something like an old t-shirt work or would that be too porous?

What I use is a small piece of flannelette (pyjama fabric). I fold it so that I get a strip ~20 - 25mm wide by ~100 mm long and three layers thick. Drape that over your nose then carefully don the mask so that the fabric sits between the mask cushion and your skin. Those sizes work for me but you might need to experiment to get the right size for yourself.

Yeah, I have the same problem with the Simplus cushion not locking into the frame. It seems to be a design flaw but in practice it doesn't cause me any problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
I figured a little trick last night that kept the mask from leaking most of the night. I have a pillow that I like to put over my head when the sun comes pouring through the window in the morning. I found that if I put it over my eyes and mold the edge to the area of the mask over the bridge of my nose it keeps the mask from creeping up my nose and causing it to leak. Got through the night without a leak last night. Of course, that figures since the ResMed AirTouch F20 came today. I will try it out tonight to see if it does better than the Simplus.
RedBarron

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 71 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 243 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Why do I need to get my flow limitation and leakage down? Kathy14225 12 1,417 09-30-2023, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Mask 'Pulsing/Jumping' - Plus leakage issues Jake B 4 3,163 09-21-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: HULK
  Resmed Airfit F30 Mask Leakage jerrydaw 28 7,463 09-20-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: car54
  N30i leakage alvaro212 11 1,822 07-23-2023, 04:22 AM
Last Post: BAZZA
Question [Diagnosis] Central Apnea associated with mask leakage? wdfarmer 9 1,930 07-14-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Cam12

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.