Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV Auto Settings
ASV Auto Settings
[attachment=5898] Just recently started treatment for Complex Mixed Apneas (40-60 events/hr) and went through a few CPAP and APAP machines without good results. Just received a new ResMed 10 ASV device without any manuals/documentation. I tried using the settings from prior devices and had very good results with the event reduction but the inhalation pressure seems too high for me causing the mask to leak pretty bad. I will work on the mask but I would like for someone to take a look at my charts to see if I'm going in the right direction with the settings. I just switched to the ASVAuto mode last night and haven't changed the default settings. I have little to no support from my doctor or equipment provider.
I will attach my ResScan data if I can.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV Auto Settings
Welcome to AB Kensheehan.

Congrats on getting the ASV. I believe running the ASV in Auto is the right direction. It gives the most pressure settings available to you. It gives you EPAP Min and Max and PS Min and Max. IPAP Min and Max get filled in automatically in response to your needs at that time, based upon in part by these other settings and whether you have apnea events or not.

More likely your EPAP Min is going to be a minimum of 6. Anything less results in too little air and will feel like air starvation.

Unfortunately, all the other settings are somewhat based on what we will see via Sleepyhead and maybe your sleep study data too.

Best to your success, myself and others will follow-up after posting data.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine is compatible with #Sleepyhead, and that is going to give us much better information.  Meanwhile, the image below is the recommended protocol flow-chart for ASV.  It's pretty easy to follow, and resolve the issues as they arise.  Obstructive apnea and unclassified events, generally require higher EPAP pressures, while hypopnea and centrals are usually treated with the minimum and maximum pressure support respectively.  Once you post some images, I'm sure we can help.  Just follow the links in my signature to learn how to organize a Sleepyhead chart and post it as an attachment in the forum.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4210]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave. Was my data attached?
Ken
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2018, 04:00 PM)Kensheehan Wrote: Thanks Dave. Was my data attached?
Ken

Sorry no it's not where I can see it.

Try here for directions: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/misc.ph...elp&hid=22
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I'll get to work on the charts. 
Ken
Post Reply Post Reply
Was finally able to get the Sleepyhead files prepped and attached. Any suggestions. I also made a few changes that I believe helped.
Thanks,
Ken S
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, IMO you're off to a real good start. AHI 1.19 for the night, large leaks under 2%, over 7 hours time for the session, and it seems to almost already be good to go. It does depend on how many nights in a row you can get similar results, and one subjective thing to consider. How did you feel after sleeping with it? Anything irritating, or didn't seem comfortable? This can bring in pressure settings and comfort/humidity settings as well, to a degree. The main thing is though to get you to use it consistently and getting similar results too.

Anything else, just ask. Happy Memorial Day weekend.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I like your changes. Try PS min at 2.0. Looks a lot better and lower overall pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ken,

I think you don’t “need” to change any settings, because the data already looks fine. Nonetheless, in view of your occasional hypopneas and Flow Limitation, I think you may sleep better if the Min EPAP (the minimum pressure the machine will ever target while you are exhaling, to help keep your airway open and free from obstructive apneas and obstructive hypopneas) is raised at least a little and if the Min PS (the minimum Pressure Support, the amount by which the pressure is boosted while you are inhaling, to help make inhaling easier and free from Flow Limitation) is raised at least a little.

Presently, the Min EPAP is 4 cmH2O and the Min PS is 3.0 cmH2O, which I think are both the default settings on your machine and, if increased, would likely reduce your tendency to suffer Flow Limitation.  Flow Limitation is the result of a type of partial restriction in your airway during inhalation which gets worse the harder you try to inhale.  When it senses FL, your machine will automatically raise PS to better open the airway, thereby reducing the amount of effort you will need to exert in order to inhale an adequate amount of air. 

I suggest you consider raising the Min EPAP to 5.75 or higher (5.75 is close to your 95 percentile EPAP as reported in the SleeyHead "Statistics" table).  The 95 percentile EPAP is the pressure EPAP was at or below at least 95% of the time, and it is also the pressure EPAP was at or above at least 5% of the time.  I think raising Min EPAP to 5.75 would actually be fairly conservative, and I suggest keeping in mind that raising the Min EPAP to 7.0 or a little higher may be even better for eliminating the hypopneas, especially since, perhaps to reduce the occasionally bothersome effects of PS jumping unnecessarily high, you have lowered the Max PS to 10. 

I also suggest raising the Min PS to 4.5 (near your median PS, which can be estimated as the difference between what SleepyHead reports as the average exhalation pressure (Median EPAP) and the average inhalation pressure (Median IPAP). 

Take care,
— Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 828 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 2,999 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  Philips Respironics Bipap Auto SV, cards and settings SenatorBirch 3 541 05-01-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Smile Help Settings for Aircurve10 V auto for a newbie jsl316 9 832 04-13-2023, 06:25 PM
Last Post: jsl316

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.