Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Set CPAP to APAP 90% pressure?
Set CPAP to APAP 90% pressure?
I have been running my DreamStation CPAP Pro on auto trial for the last couple of weeks. During that time my 90% pressure has been a steady 10 cmH2O. Is that what my straight CPAP pressure should be set to?
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Set CPAP to APAP 90% pressure?
(03-14-2016, 05:43 PM)pupcamper Wrote: I have been running my DreamStation CPAP Pro on auto trial for the last couple of weeks. During that time my 90% pressure has been a steady 10 cmH2O. Is that what my straight CPAP pressure should be set to?

Think that would be a good trial, however, results should be monitored. It's possible to find out you can get away with less but again results should be monitored in case it goes the other way. I had better results at 10.2 than my prescribed 11.0 cm.

If you post results of experiments there are many here that are qualified to suggest improvement settings based on those results.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may have this knowledge already but I will repeat the definition of the 90% figure for clarification is needed..
"The 90% pressure is defined as the pressure at which the device spent 90% of the time AT or BELOW."
For example, if the device recognized airflow for 10 hours, and 9 of those hours were spent at or below 11cm, and 1 hour was spent above 11cm, then the 90% pressure figure would be 11cm. The unknowns are, how much higher was the pressure for 1 hour and what was the average of the less then 11cm in order to form a base figure. Most people strive to set their "APAP" (not CPAP) pressures to 2-4 cm's below the 90% and 2 or 3 above the 90% in order to accomadate the unknowns.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2016, 06:16 PM)JudgeMental Wrote: You may have this knowledge already but I will repeat the definition of the 90% figure for clarification is needed..
"The 90% pressure is defined as the pressure at which the device spent 90% of the time AT or BELOW."
For example, if the device recognized airflow for 10 hours, and 9 of those hours were spent at or below 11cm, and 1 hour was spent above 11cm, then the 90% pressure figure would be 11cm. The unknowns are, how much higher was the pressure for 1 hour and what was the average of the less then 11cm in order to form a base figure. Most people strive to set their "APAP" (not CPAP) pressures to 2-4 cm's below the 90% and 2 or 3 above the 90% in order to accomadate the unknowns.

Yes, that is the way I understood the 90%. My AHI had been creeping up so I ran CPCP Check for several weeks. After a while, CPAP Check adjusted my pressure from my prescribed 8cm to 9cm. My AHI dropped some, but not to it's previous level. Out of curiosity I set my machine on Auto Trial. It was a big improvement. My AHI went to below 1 and most nights below .5, with no large leaks. Last night my AHI was 0.0. This afternoon I set the machine back to CPAP Check. I assumed it would still be set on 9cm as it had been when I went to Auto Trial. I thought I would leave it on 9cm and then raise it to 9.5cm if the numbers started creeping up again. It was set on 10cm instead of 9cm when I checked it. That was the reason for my question.

Thanks for the info. I think I will follow my first inclination and set it to 9.5cm and monitor my numbers, possibly slowly raising it until I reach the point of diminishing returns.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,421 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,149 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 587 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.