Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Set myself up for failure?
Set myself up for failure?
I got my CPAP on Jan 3 rd. My Mother-in-law passed away on Jan 6 and on Jan 10 I tested positive for Covid (still testing positive with tons of symptoms). I feel by continuing the CPAP process right now I’ve set myself up for failure. I’m fine with the mask, it’s ok comfort wise; however, I’m having a hell of a time with a couple things. 1) getting comfortable enough to actually sleep. The headgear hurts the back of my head (size seems to be right) and around my ears, and I lose the seal when I turn over. I can’t get the seal back without taking the mask off, turning off the machine and starting over. 2) I can’t find a comfortable sleeping position. I’ve tried my back and side. I have an adjustable bed and have experimented with various different heights. I’ve also tried 4 different pillows without success. 
I feel like I should walk away until I’ve recovered from Covid and try again in a month. Suggestions? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Set myself up for failure?
Welcome to the forum

Stick with it.  Post your daily charts from OSCAR so we can see what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Newbie768  Here are some references on masks and mask fitting:

Here are the links:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer

How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! | Apnea Board

I haven't used this particular mask, but no mask shouldn't need readjustment just because you've turned over.  Of course, it is challenging to find the right fit and right mask at first.  Just dealing with this strange new thing and being uncertain about it magnifies every discomfort.  It helps to spend the first several days just wearing it while you are resting or reading, just to get used to the mask and pressure.  

I would also try searching the forum for posts about your mask, especially review threads.  Also search YouTube for reviews of this mask.  I found that especially helpful at first.

I agree with Gideon on downloading OSCAR and getting advice on the settings.  Finding the right settings will also help you get more comfortable.

I also agree it's best to keep going, but if it's making you anxious, take a break for a day or two.

Best wishes for your recovery, take good care, and welcome to Apnea Board!
Post Reply Post Reply
Also on pillows, if you sleep on your side, check out the Pillow Cube that The Lanky Lefty reviewed on YouTube.  

If on your back, try to get your head into what's called the Rescue Position in order to open your throat.  With CPAP, I've found I need less elevation than before -- softer and less thick pillows.  

I have to sleep on my back and prefer Euro pillows, which are 26-inch squares under shoulders as well as neck in order not to push my head forward.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
With or without Covid, starting off on the CPAP journey is a process of steps.
Finding the right settings and equipment (mask type, headgear and so forth) can take a series of tries and alterations.

Also on top of your personal stresses at the moment, your mind and body may take time to adapt to using CPAP as well.
Try to hang in with it if you can.. but if it all becomes too much on top of everything else then perhaps take a two week break from it and then start over again.
Keep trawling through the forum gathering information from the posts of others, use the search option.. your own posts and the posts of others will also have links to other similar posts at the bottom of the pages as well.
Also keep asking questions in the group whenever you need to - the only stupid question is the one you needed an answer to and didn't ask.

Condolences to you and your husband on the passing of your MIL.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  F30 Full Face Mask - total failure?? BobH56 20 3,287 12-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rhwoe
  CPAP Failure, ASV Attempter, Still Failure ophiuchus 16 1,419 07-10-2023, 05:59 AM
Last Post: ophiuchus
  [Pressure] Maximum pressure in heart failure? edgnoj 0 483 11-04-2022, 04:58 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  Resmed F20 Touch (foam) failure points snorin2 2 740 09-03-2022, 01:54 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  Would appreciate any input, failure to find 8 hrs of sleep in more than a year. SammNeedsHelp 8 1,060 08-01-2022, 04:38 PM
Last Post: SammNeedsHelp
  The Most Likely Part Failure Sleeprider 37 4,954 06-24-2022, 12:53 PM
Last Post: AZGuy
  power failure cberistain 0 674 02-18-2022, 10:42 AM
Last Post: cberistain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.