Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - 95th % 52.8 ?
Question 
Newbie - 95th % 52.8 ?
I'm sure that this has been asked and answered many, many times but after reading many of the posts regarding this, I am still confused.

I have just started using my BiPAP at 19/23 and I get a sore throat and dry mouth. Using the on-board humidifier at 8 and nasal pillows. I always get the "unhappy face" and I think that I occasionally leak through my mouth at night.

According to U-sleep.com, I have the following numbers and I have requested a chin strap from my supplier.

Therapy Hrs: 8.18
Leak 95th %: 52.80
AHI: 1.80

How far off am I from where I need to be? What kind of 95th % number should I want to shoot for and be satisfied?

At times I will awaken because my machine has shut down and I have to restart it. I didn't remove the nasal pillows so I expect that I was free flowing through my mouth. This happens 2-3 times/night.

Is this enough info for a reply?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie - 95th % 52.8 ????????
I have the same machine as you and my 90% for leak last night was 6. There is a max point beyond which the machine cannot accurately measure what is going on. I think it is 24 (but don't hold me to that exact number).

Guessing the machine is shutting down because it thinks you have taken the mask off and forgot to turn the machine off. Leaks.

No doubt mouth breathing, try the chin strap and start looking at full face masks FFM, there are many kinds from minimal to actually FULL FACE covered

The 1.8 AHI is suspect because of your high leak rate. People have used straps, tape, and FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
For leak data, you want to use the median or average. The 95% leak rate means you were at or below 52.8 liters/minute 95% of the time. Unlike Respironics, Resmed does not report total leak, it only reports excess leak. So the ideal average leak rate would be less than 5.0. I would be looking for a 95% leak rate less than 20.

You could probably visualize this better if you download the Sleephead software which graphs the leak rate along with events, flow, pressure and many other pieces of information. A link to the Sleepyhead forum is at the top of this page.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
If the machine shuts down. It may have autostart (and stop) set to ON. A large leak, such as opening ones mouth might signal to the machine that you have removed the mask; and it shuts off the blower. Personally, I have no use for autostart; and have mine set to off.

You are running rather high pressure; and leaks may be difficult to manage; but it can be done.

And, as Sleeprider said, we might be able to infer how badly you're leaking -- and perhaps even the source (mouth?)

Regards,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie - 95th % 52.8 ?
Hi jrferg75,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a mask that will work well for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I see you using a BIPAP. I was wondering of you have experience with a CPAP before you started using the BIPAP.
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2016, 12:18 PM)0rangebear Wrote: I see you using a BIPAP. I was wondering of you have experience with a CPAP before you started using the BIPAP.

I actually was on a CPAP for 20 years at 12 cm/H2O. My CPAP suddenly died so I did a new sleep study and ended up with the BiPAP because they thought it would be better for me at the high pressure I need.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2016, 12:23 PM)jrferg75 Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 12:18 PM)0rangebear Wrote: I see you using a BIPAP. I was wondering of you have experience with a CPAP before you started using the BIPAP.

I actually was on a CPAP for 20 years at 12 cm/H2O. My CPAP suddenly died so I did a new sleep study and ended up with the BiPAP because they thought it would be better for me at the high pressure I need.

Did you ever have trouble with waking up unable to exhale with out blowing hard or removing your mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2016, 12:31 PM)0rangebear Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 12:23 PM)jrferg75 Wrote:

Did you ever have trouble with waking up unable to exhale with out blowing hard or removing your mask?

I never really did. With the nasal pillows it was a simple task to exhale through your mouth. I tried a FFM and felt claustrophobic with it on, and I'm not claustrophobic. Go figure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 15 55 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.