Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Setting APAP for same number
Setting APAP for same number
i read in an older thread about setting an APAP to the same number, like 12-12, instead of CPAP 12. I have been experimenting with various APAP settings and think I'll go back to CPAP but like the flow information. I started with CPAP 11 for 3 months, then on my request to try APAP the doctor set it at 11-14. After several weeks I dropped it to 10-14. I have all but eliminated OAs, but CAs and CSRs are running 5 or 6 a night usually. These are not happening at the higher pressure, but usually at 12 or below. RERAs are usually over 20. AHI is running high of 3 down to a low of 0.5. My 90% is variable from under 14 to under 12--not consistent at all and my AHI vary from one night to the next. Have done some experimenting with A-Flex from 3 to 2 to 1, but am better with 3. How much difference does this number make? Will using the same pressure numbers work? I'm going to start at 11-11, then go to 12-12 to see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Setting APAP for same number
(01-18-2016, 03:24 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: i read in an older thread about setting an APAP to the same number, like 12-12, instead of CPAP 12. I have been experimenting with various APAP settings and think I'll go back to CPAP but like the flow information. I started with CPAP 11 for 3 months, then on my request to try APAP the doctor set it at 11-14. After several weeks I dropped it to 10-14. I have all but eliminated OAs, but CAs and CSRs are running 5 or 6 a night usually. These are not happening at the higher pressure, but usually at 12 or below. RERAs are usually over 20. AHI is running high of 3 down to a low of 0.5. My 90% is variable from under 14 to under 12--not consistent at all and my AHI vary from one night to the next. Have done some experimenting with A-Flex from 3 to 2 to 1, but am better with 3. How much difference does this number make? Will using the same pressure numbers work? I'm going to start at 11-11, then go to 12-12 to see what happens.

Not sure why you would do this as it serves no purpose but yes it will work.
Though if i was going that route id go 12 min 13.5 max.
Aflex is flow based. The settings have as much to do with timing as pressure.
A setting of three will depending on your flow give a 3cm drop right at the beginning of exhale. But aflex will never end the exhale more than 2 cm below the current pressure the machine is at. Aflex if the setting doesnt match your breathing rate very well can fool the machine into flagging a false central.
3 setting seems to do this on more people than 2 or 1
I think you would be better off, and see fewer CA CSR and better AHI to set Aflex at 1, 2 at most, min pressure at 11 and open the max up to 16.
The machine wont go higher than needed anyway.
Auto isnt going to run a consistent 90% pressure. Itll average out to a relatively stable number, but not the same every night because your pressure needs arent the same every night.

But if you want to set a 12 12.5 itll run that way.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks you for your advice. I'm going to leave it at 11-14 tonight and drop the Aflex back to 2. My AHi was been great the last two night--.5 and .7. Earlier i was up to 3.3 with 10-14 and aflex 1. After a week or so will see how it goes. I'm a little afraid to go to 16 with the number of CAs I have--that is one reason the sleep doc left the high end at 14, but it would be interesting to see what happens. I am afraid, however, that I will get more mask leaks at higher pressures--I get "chipmunk cheeks" even though I have mastered the tongue suction thing.. I have an Oracle chin strap but can't wear it with the DreamWear mask. I wear a cervical collar and that works pretty well--have never had a large leak.

Post Reply Post Reply
Using Auto mode with equal minimum and maximum pressures enables the flow limitation event recording. Using CPAP mode you won't get that information.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider. That's one of the reasons I was interested in doing that. I'm going to leave me setting alone for a few more nights at least. I am thinking, however, that AP with a pressure range might be better for my upcoming knee replacement surgery since it will be dealing with pain medication.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 159 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 89 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.