Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp & Dreamwear
Humidifier: Respironics System One
CPAP Pressure: APAP 11-11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Setting APAP for same number
i read in an older thread about setting an APAP to the same number, like 12-12, instead of CPAP 12. I have been experimenting with various APAP settings and think I'll go back to CPAP but like the flow information. I started with CPAP 11 for 3 months, then on my request to try APAP the doctor set it at 11-14. After several weeks I dropped it to 10-14. I have all but eliminated OAs, but CAs and CSRs are running 5 or 6 a night usually. These are not happening at the higher pressure, but usually at 12 or below. RERAs are usually over 20. AHI is running high of 3 down to a low of 0.5. My 90% is variable from under 14 to under 12--not consistent at all and my AHI vary from one night to the next. Have done some experimenting with A-Flex from 3 to 2 to 1, but am better with 3. How much difference does this number make? Will using the same pressure numbers work? I'm going to start at 11-11, then go to 12-12 to see what happens.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2016 03:24 PM by SideSleeper.)
01-18-2016 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

Sex: Male

RE: Setting APAP for same number
(01-18-2016 03:24 PM)SideSleeper Wrote:  i read in an older thread about setting an APAP to the same number, like 12-12, instead of CPAP 12. I have been experimenting with various APAP settings and think I'll go back to CPAP but like the flow information. I started with CPAP 11 for 3 months, then on my request to try APAP the doctor set it at 11-14. After several weeks I dropped it to 10-14. I have all but eliminated OAs, but CAs and CSRs are running 5 or 6 a night usually. These are not happening at the higher pressure, but usually at 12 or below. RERAs are usually over 20. AHI is running high of 3 down to a low of 0.5. My 90% is variable from under 14 to under 12--not consistent at all and my AHI vary from one night to the next. Have done some experimenting with A-Flex from 3 to 2 to 1, but am better with 3. How much difference does this number make? Will using the same pressure numbers work? I'm going to start at 11-11, then go to 12-12 to see what happens.

Not sure why you would do this as it serves no purpose but yes it will work.
Though if i was going that route id go 12 min 13.5 max.
Aflex is flow based. The settings have as much to do with timing as pressure.
A setting of three will depending on your flow give a 3cm drop right at the beginning of exhale. But aflex will never end the exhale more than 2 cm below the current pressure the machine is at. Aflex if the setting doesnt match your breathing rate very well can fool the machine into flagging a false central.
3 setting seems to do this on more people than 2 or 1
I think you would be better off, and see fewer CA CSR and better AHI to set Aflex at 1, 2 at most, min pressure at 11 and open the max up to 16.
The machine wont go higher than needed anyway.
Auto isnt going to run a consistent 90% pressure. Itll average out to a relatively stable number, but not the same every night because your pressure needs arent the same every night.

But if you want to set a 12 12.5 itll run that way.
01-19-2016 01:01 AM
SideSleeper Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DS560HS REMstar Auto-A Flex+ +

Other Comments:

Thanks you for your advice. I'm going to leave it at 11-14 tonight and drop the Aflex back to 2. My AHi was been great the last two night--.5 and .7. Earlier i was up to 3.3 with 10-14 and aflex 1. After a week or so will see how it goes. I'm a little afraid to go to 16 with the number of CAs I have--that is one reason the sleep doc left the high end at 14, but it would be interesting to see what happens. I am afraid, however, that I will get more mask leaks at higher pressures--I get "chipmunk cheeks" even though I have mastered the tongue suction thing.. I have an Oracle chin strap but can't wear it with the DreamWear mask. I wear a cervical collar and that works pretty well--have never had a large leak.

01-19-2016 01:37 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Using Auto mode with equal minimum and maximum pressures enables the flow limitation event recording. Using CPAP mode you won't get that information.

01-19-2016 09:57 AM
SideSleeper Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DS560HS REMstar Auto-A Flex+ +

Other Comments:

Thanks, Sleeprider. That's one of the reasons I was interested in doing that. I'm going to leave me setting alone for a few more nights at least. I am thinking, however, that AP with a pressure range might be better for my upcoming knee replacement surgery since it will be dealing with pain medication.
01-22-2016 01:00 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Acceptable nightly AHI number KCap 12 582 12-06-2016 08:46 AM
Last Post: robysue
  Medicare Advantage Coverage for APAP Evie 4 246 12-05-2016 09:49 PM
Last Post: Evie
  [Equipment] what setting for mask airsense 10 abrun7 1 180 11-17-2016 06:57 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Date Problem Reuven Gruber 6 303 11-16-2016 04:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can't Find Device Number (DN) on Back of Machine gamegrrl 5 187 11-14-2016 05:32 PM
Last Post: gamegrrl
  cpap and apap not effictive Ezil71 109 3,150 11-05-2016 11:19 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Need help with mask setting please trader37 3 288 11-03-2016 02:34 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred