Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Same AHI at low and high pressures
Question 
Same AHI at low and high pressures
Hi All, so I am a bit confused. I am new to CPAP, I've been using it for about a month now.

My prescription was for 6-16 to then see how that went and possibly narrow down on a single pressure (I'm currently hiring a machine, and it is much cheaper to buy a straight CPAP here, however I'm thinking I might import the machine I am hiring from the US).

I initially had no real problems adjusting to CPAP - I could wear the mask the whole night etc, however a month in, I noticed I was gassy and I was still waking up during the night more than normal. A few nights I also had issues where the pressure had gone up to the maximum and the mask leaked like crazy and I had to stop, adjust and start again.

My AHI had been ~0.4 from the very start of using CPAP - so I thought I'd try a couple of nights of lowering the pressure to see if this would make it more comfortable - expecting it to increase my events.

So I've spent a few nights now with a 4-4 pressure (I found it quite comfortable to breathe at) - and my AHI was basically exactly the same ~0.4 - I still had 3-4 OA towards the end of the night, just like the nights where I had the higher pressure. The funny thing is, this was never when the machine increased the pressure, there was always a lump earlier in the night.

From my sleep study they would have prescribed a straight pressure of 10 apparently - I had a only 2 OA, but a number of Hypos during the night as they titrated me.

I'm a little confused by the whole thing really - is it normal to have the same AHI at low and higher pressures? Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Same AHI at low and high pressures
My son's experience is similar to yours. In his case, just a little pressure seems to resolve his events. That's nice, but confusing to an old guy like me. What to do, what to do?

I think in your case and his case it comes down to what is comfortable. For me a pressure of 4 and I'm going into panic attacks because I don't think I'm getting enough air. For him, 4's not bad. We sort of compromised and set him up at 6. He's very comfortable with that, his ahi is very very low, he's able to keep a good seal on his mask (he's using a ffm also) and his father thinks he's getting enough air.

So go to where you are most comfortable. If not sure, ask your pop.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Same AHI at low and high pressures
Hi abagail_32,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success as you get into the groove of your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 126 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 118 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,422 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.