Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Setting Recommendations
Setting Recommendations
Hi everyone,

I have been using CPAP for the last year or so. I think it's been going great but I want to start getting to know my equipment and settings beyond what the "myAir" app is telling me. I've gone through the first step to download and important information via Oscar but I don't know how to interpret data to make changes. I've attached a recent night of sleep for you to take a look at. If you wouldn't mind giving it a look and sharing any advice for setting changes you recommend. I'm looking to keep improving my sleep to have the best possible experience. 

Also if you have any links to general information so I can learn this on my own, please send my way. It's a bit overwhelming the information that's out there and I'm not sure where to start. Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Setting Recommendations
The link in my signature about Organize Your Oscar Charts will give us a better view than the report function provides. We really want to see the data in the left column on Events, respiratory statistics, Settings and other information that daily details graph provides. It's pretty clear that regardless of what MyAir thinks, your leaks are disruptive to your sleep and your therapy. You're using fixed pressure at 16 with EPR full time at 3. I don't see a big problem there, but you might be more comfortable with a range of Autoset pressure from 13 to 16 with EPR 3. That is a personal preference and up to you. The graphs look pretty normal, and flow limits are intermittent but low overall. So you're close to optimization. Other than working on the leaks, I don't see much that is urgent here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tips! Here is the attached newly organized screenshot.

Post Reply Post Reply
Much better! Here we see a tidal volume of 560 mL, normal respiration rate and good minute volume at 7.63 which I consider exceptionally good respiratory stats. The 95% flow limitation is 0.0 which indicates no problems with pressure support (EPR) to make breathing easier. If you have never tried Autoset mode, and a range of 13 to 16 with EPR 3, I would be interested to hear if you find it more comfortable, or disruptive. Other than leaks that is all I have. Your leaks mostly come from an open mouth with air escaping, so if you're a side sleeper and notice this, try pulling a corner of your pillow between your shoulder and jaw to help support the jaw against leaks. There are some techniques you can use to train yourself to better contain pressure, such as learning to sip water from a straw or speaking when under CPAP pressure. I don't know if you've mastered those yet or not. Your therapy has good duration and continuity without fragmentation (breaks) and it looks like you're doing very well. How do you feel?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel really good. I do notice that my mouth will open at night and I’ve used mouth tape in the past but I hate ripping it off my face in the morning and the added expense/waste. I see you also use p30i, is there another mask you’d recommend? I love that it’s a “unicorn” setup with hose out of the top of my head. I tend to alternate between back and side sleeping so this mask is great. Plus I have a little bit of a beard so no issue with that. 

My other questions I’ve been thinking about are climate control and tube temp. I’ve had it set to manual and 82 degrees, because I’ve woken up to cold air which is unpleasant. Do you think I should go auto with both of these settings? I wake up most mornings with an empty water tank which will occasionally smell bad once it is empty. I’m hoping to find a way to keep humidity but not burn through an entire tank each night. 

I’ve also got ramp off. Do you recommend anything different there? I feel like with ramp on, it doesn’t give me the airflow I hope for right when I put it on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramp off is a good thing. Little to no therapy with it running, and in ResMed with Ramp on it activates every time start is pushed.

Manual mode for the humidifier is typically better for therapy and output, maybe you might try a lower setting on the humidifier which should read between 1-8, try 1 number less humidity to enhance duration of the water.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask Type Setting impact on therapy wickedsleepy 1 60 Yesterday, 09:12 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Help with setting up AirCurve 11 VAuto BiLevel timmytoo 2 184 05-11-2024, 06:28 PM
Last Post: timmytoo
  New to CPAP, Looking for Setting Advice Jang Wonyoung 3 228 05-08-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  VAuto Trigger Setting MrIvanDrago 3 221 05-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  AirSense 10 repair recommendations in Canada? Garemenyi 0 112 04-28-2024, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Garemenyi
  F40 Mask Setting MrIvanDrago 5 275 04-25-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: BuzzaJim
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 6 365 04-24-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.