Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Setting up Craigslist ASV?
Setting up Craigslist ASV?
I came across a super cheap Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV machine with about 8500 hours on it. It was under $200, so I figured I'd just buy it and if I can use it in a beneficial way, great. If not, I'll just give it away or resell it. I don't really know much about how to set it up properly for use (I mean beyond getting into the clinical settings menu).

I'm currently using a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her with a pressure setting of 6-15 and a very low AHI (under 2) nightly, but am still struggling with middle of the night insomnia and feeling fatigued throughout the day. I've got some higher flow limits at times which respond to switching my EPR up, but then my centrals go up as well. I currently have my Autoset for her set with an EPR of 2. (My original sleep study was all centrals and hypopneas, hence why I was considering an ASV. Perhaps BPAP would be better, but when I saw this for such a bargain, I figured I'd give it a shot.)

Is this a dumb thing to do? Am I going to cause more problems for myself? I'm assuming not, but I know you all will tell me exactly what to expect.

How should I set it up to try it out my first night? Also, do I need to do any sort of special cleaning? I figure I can just use my own heated hose and my own water tank.

Let me know if you all want to see any specific Oscar data or my original sleep study.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Setting up Craigslist ASV?
Assuming you don't need the control of central apnea, you seem to do fine with an EPAP min of 4.0 based on a minimum Autoset pressure of 6 and EPR 2. So here you go, but I think you will feel disrupted...
Mode ASVauto, EPAP min 4.0, EPAP max 12.0, PS min 2.0, PS max 7.0.

Those are minimal pressures based on your current settings and will not resolve CA, but should avoid hypopnea and flow limitations at least as good as what you have now. Good luck, and look forward to hearing about your experience and seeing data. Be sure to purge all existing user data (machine reset) and format or delete the SD card before use.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the ASV is needed, it's not too hard to set-up. I have the same machine for now. And yes it would be good to refresh us on history. The sleep study and an OSCAR should be posted. Or if you've posted prior in a different thread let us know. What info is needed is about CA. The data needs to answer would be if CA were predominant in the study, or is it treatment emergent, or is it idiopathic.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay - here's the sleep study as a start. I can post some current Oscar data as well when I get home to my SD card. BTW - if you all take a look at my sleep study and thing the ASV is overkill, just let me know. It won't hurt my feelings and I'll peek around for a cheap BPAP.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry but I'd forgotten what we were working on in the past and ASV was determined to be the goal. Congrats on the find BTW.

I'm editing my first response after seeing other posts from the OP. The ASV should do well as we've established it's the right machine for your CA. See what results Sleeprider's settings give and we'll go from there to optimize it.

OK yes ASV will be a keeper IMO.

27 CA 0 OA and 109 Hypopnea...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2020, 04:39 PM)IUsedToSnore Wrote: Okay - here's the sleep study as a start. I can post some current Oscar data as well when I get home to my SD card. BTW - if you all take a look at my sleep study and thing the ASV is overkill, just let me know. It won't hurt my feelings and I'll peek around for a cheap BPAP.

Just try it with sleeprider's suggested settings and see what you think.

In the end, all that matters is how well you sleep.

The ASV feels different than the VAuto standard bilevel, but which you prefer is individual preference, etc.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well hell, your sleep test shows all central apnea and hypopnea, and that changes things.  Instead of working from your autoset settings, let's follow the Titration Guide for AutoASV:
Mode ASVauto
EPAP min 5.0
EPAP max 15.0
PS min 3.0
PS max 15.0

Here you go:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4210]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is awesome! I'm so excited to try it out tonight!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there anything I should expect by the "different feel" of the ASV machine? Chest weirdness or anything?
Post Reply Post Reply
Occasionally this ASV may blow hard and sudden when you're transitioning to sleep, within the SWJ or sleep/wake junk area right near the beginning of drifting off. It may startle so be aware, but it's not a big issue. Another AB member termed a phrase called BlowBack. Take what I say complete and literally, when the ASV acts as described, I want you to blow moderately yet forcefully back into the mask. This somehow signals to the ASV to back off, and you'll not be bothered from this for a space of days or longer. If it does this again, your reaction is again to blow back.

Otherwise I don't think it feels too much different. It will cycle with your breathing very closely.

Note down how you feel when you post with an OSCAR next. We can help adjust/titrate this pretty quick if there's no issues. Let's get you past night 1 and go from there otherwise. Best to ya on this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 424 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 382 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 2,996 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 512 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.