Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Setting up a Respironics ASV 960 machine as a simple Bi-Level
Setting up a Respironics ASV 960 machine as a simple Bi-Level
I saw an allergist this week, and the bad news is I am a mess: by their tests I have the lungs of an 88 year old.

I have asthma, not the kind where I can't breathe or wheezing kind but none the less an ongoing asthma…I inhale fine but have trouble exhaling, so I have a buildup of Carbon Dioxide.

Currently I am running an APAP Respironics Dreamstation machine and have not gotten up rested; NOW I think it is because there is no bi-level settings. (it has a very small bi-flex setting which does not give any real pressure relief)

My first CPAP Doctor said I have Complex Sleep Apnea, and now I am wondering if I still do… And with my special kind of asthma a bi-level machine might be much better for me.

BUT I think they missed this odd breathing problem..and I really need a bi-level machine.

I have a Respironics ASV 960 machine BUT it is way too over reactive for me as well. Every slight change in my breathing cause it to start pumping the hell out of me…which in its self-messes up my sleep, which is why I got a new sleep study and they switched me over to a APAP machine…

IS there a way to shut down the ASV settings and have the 960 operate as simpler Bi-Level machine??

Thanks.

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Setting up a Respironics ASV 960 machine as a simple Bi-Level
Get the manual from the link at the top of the page. I don't know about the RP machines, but the ResMed can be set to any operation at or below their main level: ASV -> APAP -> CPAP. You should be able to do what you are looking to do, with that manual.

Your condition seems to have the same result as someone with COPD, CO2 retention and I know that the ResMed VPAP (BiLevel) has settings for this. DO some we searching for COPD-CPAP treatment and you should find some interesting information. The way I understand it is that you decrease the TiMAX setting which cuts your inhale short, this limits the inhale stage and brings the O2 down without shortening the exhale. This causes you to breathe faster, to keep the O2 level correct and take more exhales to get the CO2 down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rich,

If you put Min PS and Max PS to the same value (like 4) or to nearly the same value (like 3 and 5) the ASV will act much like an ST bilevel machine, which has a respiration backup rate but the PS will be constant or nearly constant.

I think it would be helpful to you to have the backup rate working to help treat your central apneas a little.

But I've read that it can be very dangerous for some who have COPD to let their O2 get too high. I don't recall the details right now, but those with a certain type of COPD should target an average SpO2 (ignoring the short dips caused by apneas) around 90% rather than the more commonly recommended target of 94% to 96%.

The higher the PS is, the higher the average SpO2 will tend to be.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well got a new problem: My older Respironics ASV 960 machine is not recording my sleep time correctly.

I have not used it for this year, (was switched to a APAP in Jan. 2016) but for new medical reasons dug it out and started using it yesterday morning (7/20/16).

First night was from 3:30AM to around 6:00AM yet is only shows about 35 minutes.

Next is last night I went to sleep around 9:00PM and woke up at around 12:00AM and it only showed around 35minutes.

I rebooted it, and switched SC cards. Then slept another three hours and again it does not show the elapses time.

It does show the correct time and date, but not the total sleep time…

What can I do to fix this??

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 160 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,259 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 88 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,017 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 473 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 590 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.