Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gasping for Air - only since starting with CPAP
RE: Gasping for Air - only since starting with CPAP
Once again - thank you all for your welcomes and your thoughts. My initial interview went well and we'll be moving forward with more interviews as part of the official process. So that's good. I'm not sure this is the company or position for me, but I'm very interested in learning more.

I feel like a loser though - we had friends over last night and stayed up late and I fell asleep on the couch without my CPAP....first night since I got it and I'm mad at myself because I was going to test one of your key theories - that my mouth is open or that the air is escaping out of my mouth.

I'm going to have to pay better attention when I wake up, but I don't think that's what's happening. The nasal pillow devise actually pushes down on my upper lip which makes it difficult to open my mouth and I sure haven't noticed that happening...on the other hand, I haven't been paying attention either - tonight!

If my mouth is open, then I'll definitely try a chinstrap as many of you have recommended -> thanks for that!

Thanks also to everyone who provided links or directions to get to the videos on how to use my ResMed S9 Elite - I watched all that I could find and that was very helpful. The clinician who gave me the machine went through all that, but I was in a bit of a daze that day. I also learned how to get into the clinician set up, but I don't think I'll be making any pressure changes on my own....yet....

jdireton suggested I modify the ramp period and pressure - that it might be too low or too long - but I had turned the ramp off completely after the first night. I guess my CPAP was set up so I could make that change.

And Sleepster - you're right - I'm going to call both my doctor and the clinician on Monday. I'm sure they'll answer my question and recommend and/or provide a solution.

BabyDoc and others suggested I could use my SD card and some sort of software to look at the details of what's happening when I wake up - I think I need a lot more guidance on that. The videos made it sound like I'd need $400-$500 of additional connections/equipment, not to mention the cost of the software....Am I missing something? I know I can run my SD card back to the clinic for analysis, but that's a bit of a pain as well.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2012, 06:03 PM)dsdoying Wrote: The videos made it sound like I'd need $400-$500 of additional connections/equipment, not to mention the cost of the software....Am I missing something? I know I can run my SD card back to the clinic for analysis, but that's a bit of a pain as well.
Probably its for Resmed own oximeter. The software is free from this board.
Resscan software available via Email and SleepyHead you can download as well, here,re the two links for the software threads:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...n-3-16-SP1
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-JediMark

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2012, 06:03 PM)dsdoying Wrote: BabyDoc and others suggested I could use my SD card and some sort of software to look at the details of what's happening when I wake up - I think I need a lot more guidance on that. The videos made it sound like I'd need $400-$500 of additional connections/equipment, not to mention the cost of the software....Am I missing something? I know I can run my SD card back to the clinic for analysis, but that's a bit of a pain as well.

The software is free and if you have a computer with an SD card slot (most laptops have one) you are all set. If your computer does not have an SD card slot you can get an USB adapter for $5 or so.

Some people use the proprietary software made by the machine manufacturer (Windows only), but others prefer the free, open source program SleepyHead, and some use both. SleepyHead will run on anything. You can download it free from Sourceforge. If you have any problems installing or using the software just ask here.

The software will give you tons of information about what happened during the night, including graphs. There is so much information that it will take you a while to learn what all the data means. Again, just ask here, or search this forum, because most of the beginner questions have probably already been asked. Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again dsdoying, Glad to hear that your initial interview went well and I hope things continue to go well as far as the job is concerned. Don't beat yourself up over falling asleep without your machine, just test the theory next time you use it. take care & sleep well.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2012, 06:03 PM)dsdoying Wrote: I also learned how to get into the clinician set up, but I don't think I'll be making any pressure changes on my own....yet....

That's a very good idea. You shouldn't change your pressure, especially at first. Keep the doctor informed and let him make the changes. If, somewhere on down the road, you find that process is not working for you, then you can think about making small, incremental, and infrequent changes to your pressure. It's not something you want to mess with unless you know what you're doing.

As to changing the ramp time and starting pressure, that's entirely ok as it's just a comfort feature. Once the machine ramps up, it'll be set at the pressure prescribed by your doctor.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Learning about the clinical menu is more than changing pressure bc the only thing shown to me when got my S9 is the stop/start button and nothing else. I have to come to Apnea Board to learn about the functions and features of my machine including how to change the sleep quality setting to get efficacy data shown on the screen. My 1st so-called sleep doctor ever did was pumping the maximum pressure to compensate for leaks till it got to 20 and blown the mask away and by learning how to tweak my setting to a more optimum level did mange to keep the mask on all night but no thanks to this doctor. But off course not all doctors are the same, some are better and more caring than others.
Post Reply Post Reply
If at all possible, don't remove the mask right away when you wake up gasping.

First, try to consciously breathe and feel the airflow in and out of your nostrils and lungs. Convince yourself that you are getting air. Breathe deeply to convince yourself all is well.

There will be a stream of air coming out the vent holes in the mask whenever the machine is turned on. Put your hand in the airstream when you first turn it on and feel what the airstream feels like. Then when you wake up gasping, feel the airstream to see if the machine is working. Open your mouth and let the machine blow air in your nose and out your mouth to see if it's working. Lift up the edge of the mask to feel air gushing out around the edge.

Look at the display on the machine and see what pressure it thinks it's putting out.

Make a note of the time, then get the free SleepyHead software and check your airflow waveforms at the time you had the panic attack.

Quite a few CPAPers get this feeling when they start CPAP. It's not quite clear why. It often indicates you need more pressure, but not always.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK - So the short answer to my last question is: "Yes" - I was missing something. Missing a lot, actually.

I was unaware of the open-source software available - that's fantastic and I'll start figuring that out immediately.

In the meantime, my niece has a question for the forum...can the CPAP machine be used to blow up pool floatation toys? She's asks because the extended family is spending the day at/in our pool and we're making her blow up all the floaties!

Just kidding...Happy Fathers Day! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2012, 03:39 PM)dsdoying Wrote: In the meantime, my niece has a question for the forum...can the CPAP machine be used to blow up pool floatation toys? She's asks because the extended family is spending the day at/in our pool and we're making her blow up all the floaties!

Just kidding...Happy Fathers Day! Smile

Actually, this has been tested by one of our members in this thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-a-balloon

He actually used a balloon - but it had less than spectacular results that I would assume would be quite similar if he had used pool flotation toys. Thinking-about

Too-funny
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Get yourself a Quattro full face mask to eliminate the mouthbreathing possibility; read yor XPAP data; get supplemental O2 if your SpO2 drops under 90% during REM sleep. Do some searches and you will come up with a plethora of articles and threads. I had similar issues and resolve them and my AHI now runs 0.00 every night and SpO2 around 95% or more all night. A good recording pulse oximeter like the new Contec CMS50EW is a must. Good luck.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 674 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 326 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Gasping for air with FF mask Jskier 6 381 12-30-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 633 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 4 476 11-20-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 403 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.