Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Setting up an auto cpap machine?
Setting up an auto cpap machine?
Hi
If I were to order an auto CPAP machine in particular a Respironics REMstar auto A-Flex with a humidifier would I just turn it on and it would adjust itself or would I need some basic setting input to get it started?

Thanks in advance
John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Setting up an auto cpap machine?
You'd need to make sure the pressure is not too low nor too high. It would be tempting to open it up all the way (4 - 20) and see what the results were in a few weeks but that's the extreme.

Have you had a sleep test? Do you know you have sleep apnea? What kind?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi johndi
Make sure the name start with Phillips Respironcis as the company been bought by Phillips while back. Usually the doctor specify the pressure range on the prescription and if not specified than probably left in the default settings 4-20 but it does no good in this setting if your titrated pressure 12 as it take quite a bit time to ramp up to titrated pressure as might let few apnea slip through. Its been accepted to set the pressure range of apap 2 or 3 cm below and above your titrated pressure but always be guided with your doc recommendations. Everybody have a favorite machine and mine happen to be S9 AutoSet I think it got better on board functions, LCD data including breakdown of AHI and reporting unintentional leak (mask leak) which can be very helpful to know whether leak is within accepted range. The S9 comes with heated hose and only available with 60 series (SleepyHead software support System One but not 60 series). Anyway manuals are available from the board for whatever machine you decide. Look for masks too, mask choice is important for a successful treatment.
Good luck Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Too answer your directed question. The design by the manufacturer of the auto-PAP machine is such that all you need to do is plug it in and it should produce a pressure starting at 4 and topping out at 20cmH2O. However, it may or may not reach a pressure of 20cmH2O as it should not necessarily exceed a pressure higher then is needed to stop obstructive apneas. Too go a bit further..do you know how to adjust the settings and how to evaluate the results?

For any of us to really help you with questions about machines and your therapy, I believe you should give us some more information about your apnea conditions..how long, seen a Doctor, Doctors recommendations, pressure prescribed,...this sort of info.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Johndi, it would be better if you had and idea of what your prescribed pressure would be. An AUTO set wide open does not work as effeciently as one set with the right range. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2012, 12:49 AM)johndi Wrote: If I were to order an auto CPAP machine in particular a Respironics REMstar auto A-Flex with a humidifier would I just turn it on and it would adjust itself or would I need some basic setting input to get it started?

It should be set to the pressure range prescribed by your doctor.

Have you been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea? There are other forms of sleep disordered breathing for which a simple auto CPAP will not be adequate. Also, a CPAP machine can cause problems for a patient, such as induced central apnea and aerophagia. These problems are aggrevated by a CPAP pressure that's too high.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
An auto CPAP is usable with the pressure range set wide open, but it will provide better therapy with the range set closer to your titrated pressure. I was initially prescribed a range of 6-16, but the pressure frequently dropped to an ineffective level, causing hypopneas. I'm now using a range of 10-16 (my 95th percentile pressure is 12.2). This change dropped my AHI from about 5 to about 2.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 95 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 160 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 312 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 634 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 203 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,749 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,206 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.