Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Settings for ResScan software for my Bi-pap/Central Sleep Apnea
Question 
Settings for ResScan software for my Bi-pap/Central Sleep Apnea
like I've been wrestling with my Bi-Pap machine for about a year now, and finally after getting a chin strap, I am now getting used to wearing the Amara View full face mask. I've always wondered about the information beyond the MyAir Resmed website. I finally was able to get it today with the ResScan software..THANKS FOR THAT!!
My Question is about the settings to read the data. I am using the ResMed AirCurve 10 for her, with ASV. I have Central Sleep Apnea, and no where am I seeing that specified in the detailed report information. I see where HAI & AI are in the detail but no CAI.
Is there something I need to change in the Preferences? If so, what would that be?
Your help would be very appreciated!
Deb
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Settings for ResScan software for my Bi-pap/Central Sleep Apnea
In resscan, when viewing the detailed data, you'll see event flags. There is a color legend on the left. The color of the flag indicates the classification of the event. (The event duration is a number above the event flag.)

Also, the statistics tab for a given day will have the apnea index (AHI); and it composite indices Obstructive, Central...
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for responding so quickly. Yes, I see the events, and the flags,etc, but it's not specified which apnea it is. Perhaps my doctor didn't specify in the records and that is why it is not showing up as a 'specific' apnea? It is an event, it is red, and matches the data from the ResMed MyAir website. Just wondering why it doesn't specify Central or Obstructive? I was told the apnea I have is central, and that I snore..LOL...but I thought I should see it specified..but maybe not.
Thanks!!
Deb
Post Reply Post Reply
Red is an obstructive apnea in ResScan.
The machine classifies apnea using ResMed's proprietary FOT algoritm.
No event less than 10 seconds will be classified.
There should also be a "setting" tab that shows how the machine is set. The ASV is somewhat complex in its setting.
It monitors your breathing on a breath by breath basis and when a central is detected, it provides a pressure pulse to in essence breathe for you.
You should note those settings and put them into your profile.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Deb, you might want to try the Sleepyhead software linked a the top of this page. It really clarifies what is going on at the time of any event, or even tracking whan your ASV triggers a breath in a visual way. Give it a try.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day debnfurkids, welcome to Apnea Board.

Just to clarify what was said above - Resmed ASV machines do not differentiate between the various types of apnea (central or obstructive). They don't use the FOT algorithm (which allows that differentiation) but just get on and treat the event without waiting around. According to Resmed's old site, all central apneas are effectively suppressed so the only ones which show up in ResScan or SleepyHead are obstructive.

I agree with SleepRider that SleepyHead is a superior tool for looking at your breathing. It doesn't give any more data than ResScan, just presents it in a much more usable fashion.

And just being a bit pedantic - Resmed machines aren't BiPaps - that's a proprietary name used by Philips Respironics.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info, I didn't realize my machine isn't a BiPap...that's just what I was told...good grief!!

Oh well, I cannot get Sleepyhead to import my data, that is why I tried the ResScan. When importing from my card, it gets to 99% and stays there and stops responding. I tried this earlier, and just did so again. I downloaded a fresh copy and it's still not importing my data. ResScan did without any issues. I am clicking to the file to the data, not anywhere in the file, just where it is located, and it just won't download.
If anyone has any suggestions for using Sleepyhead and why it would stop responding, I would be grateful. I would like to see how different the data looks and if it is easier to understand.

Quote: According to Resmed's old site, all central apneas are effectively suppressed so the only ones which show up in ResScan or SleepyHead are obstructive.
If that were true, how would my doctor ever know if the machine is working to help me with the central apnea events? To me, that doesn't make much sense.

Quote:They don't use the FOT algorithm (which allows that differentiation) but just get on and treat the event without waiting around.
Could you explain 'how to treat the event without waiting around?' If you mean change something In the machine, I will call my doctor before doing that. But, I don't know what you mean.
I am new to the forum, and new to talking with anyone except my doctor or techs regarding apnea.

Thanks for all the help, now I need Sleepyhead help!!

Shy
Deb
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2016, 10:34 PM)debnfurkids Wrote: Thanks for the info, I didn't realize my machine isn't a BiPap...that's just what I was told...good grief!!

Well it's a bi-level adaptive servo-ventilator (ASV). The bilevel part is what people loosely refer to as BiPap, but that's a Respironics trademark. The important part of the name is the ASV - that means the machine responds instantly on a breath-by-breath basis to maintain your breathing

Quote:Oh well, I cannot get Sleepyhead to import my data, that is why I tried the ResScan. When importing from my card, it gets to 99% and stays there and stops responding. I tried this earlier, and just did so again. I downloaded a fresh copy and it's still not importing my data. ResScan did without any issues. I am clicking to the file to the data, not anywhere in the file, just where it is located, and it just won't download.
If anyone has any suggestions for using Sleepyhead and why it would stop responding, I would be grateful. I would like to see how different the data looks and if it is easier to understand.

I was going to suggest you had the latest version of SleepyHead, but if you've downloaded a fresh copy then I guess you have. When importing you should point to the top level directory or drive which has your data. eg if you're using an SD card in the E: drive, you should point to that drive and not to any of the files or directories within it. It's probably a good idea to purge all data (under the Data menu) before proceeding.

Quote:
Quote: According to Resmed's old site, all central apneas are effectively suppressed so the only ones which show up in ResScan or SleepyHead are obstructive.
If that were true, how would my doctor ever know if the machine is working to help me with the central apnea events? To me, that doesn't make much sense.

Provided your PSmax is high enough you won't get any central apneas, only obstructive (at last, according to Resmed's literature). Obstructives can be treated by raising the EPAP - if that doesn't dothe trick, then centrals may be getting through, which are treated by raising PSmax and IPAPmax.

Quote:
Quote:They don't use the FOT algorithm (which allows that differentiation) but just get on and treat the event without waiting around.
Could you explain 'how to treat the event without waiting around?' If you mean change something In the machine, I will call my doctor before doing that. But, I don't know what you mean.

You don't need to do anything - the machine does it for you. In a conventional CPAP or APAP machine (ie non-ASV) it's important that the machine doesn't raise pressure in response to a central apnea. So they use the forced oscillation technique (FOT) to determine whether the airway is open or not. If it's open, then you're having a central apnea and pressure should not be raised. With an ASV machine, it looks at every breath as it occurs - if there's a diminution in flow it just pumps up the pressure next time you inhale to keep the flow steady. If you don't inhale, it just keeps pumping, increasing the pressure each time until you start breathing again.

Hope this helps.
Paul

Post Reply Post Reply
Just to clarify some terms:

EPAP - expiratory positive airway pressure - the pressure as you breathe out
PS - pressure support - additional pressure the machine supplies as you breathe in
IPAP - inspiratory pressure support - the actual pressure as you breathe in

EPAP + PS = IPAP

On your machine the pressure settings are EPAP (min and max), PS (min and max) and IPAP (max)
Post Reply Post Reply
What is really important is, what mode is your machine set to. You will need to access the provider settings and verify the operating mode of your machine. There are 3 possible modes, and it is impossible to guide you without knowing which one is in use:

CPAP: Treats obstructive sleep apnea where a fixed pressure not greater than 20 cm H2O is set. Therapy is delivered at this pressure for the duration of the treatment session.
ASV:Treats central sleep apnea and/or mixed apneas and periodic breathing by automatically adjusting the pressure support (PS). In ASV mode, the expiratory positive airway pressure (EPAP) is fixed at a value clinically set to maintain upper airway patency. Pressure support automatically adjusts between the clinical settings of Min PS and Max PS.
ASVAuto: Treats central sleep apnea and/or mixed apneas and periodic breathing by automatically adjusting the pressure support (PS). In ASVAuto mode, the EPAP automatically adjusts between the clinical settings of Min EPAP and Max EPAP to maintain upper airway patency. Pressure support automatically adjusts between the clinical settings of Min PS and Max PS.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 94 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,338 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  problem downloading OSCAR SOFTWARE Bailey104 1 88 03-15-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 179 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 374 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 434 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
  Software support for the Astral 150? Peashee888 10 623 02-18-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.