Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Minimal leakage but uncomfortable mask question
Minimal leakage but uncomfortable mask question
After one week of cpap, it seems to be going well. Feeling better than ever!

My only concern is with my mask. It is still quite uncomfortable. I'm now using the Gecko pad (had nose blisters after the first two nights). Even with the pad, my nose feels like it was punched!

AHI's are well under control and leak rates are as follows: 0.0, 1.2, 0.0, 0.0 in the 95th percentile and one night had a maximum of 6 with the other three nights less than 2.

Big question: My mask is a medium and I'm pretty sure a large would fit much better. Should I even consider exchanging to the large with what seems like pretty decent numbers?

I still have about 2-3 weeks or so to make an exchange.
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Minimal leakage but uncomfortable mask question
I have a big face -- And I use a medium. A large would be too low on my chin which is where I have to have it just right or I get a big flapping leak.
Does your mask have the adjustable nose bridge? Seems like that should prevent the nose bridge irritation. It has a forehead pad and an adjustment knob to move the top of the mask to/from the nose bridge.
BTW -- for anyone wondering what size their RMQ mask is -- there's a letter on the bottom of the mask cushion -- "M" is for medium.
Like this one:
[Image: 41U6jZTi04L.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 09:55 AM)justMongo Wrote: Does your mask have the adjustable nose bridge? Seems like that should prevent the nose bridge irritation. It has a forehead pad and an adjustment knob to move the top of the mask to/from the nose bridge.

It does. It's the same mask, actually. I backed off the knob a few clicks last night. Might have to try a few more tonight. Just so worried about screwing up my leak rate.

Being new to cpap, I'm not sure what the balance is between comfort and results. Guess it's a tweaking process for a while.

Post Reply Post Reply
I back off the knob (ccw when viewed looking at my face) until I feel it blowing in my eyes, then turn cw until the leak stops.
Every evening takes a little re-seating of the mask to get it right. And as the head straps stretch, I have to readjust those occasionally.
I find a new mask cushion takes takes some time to settle in. It leaks at first. It think because the new cushion has dents in the mask cushion from insecure packaging. But, after about a week, it's like an old pair of comfortable slippers (sans smell.)

Everyone is different; but I like the RMQ mask -- I'd be like a processor that's done a jump and is executing data as instructions without my RMQ.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 10:48 AM)justMongo Wrote: I back off the knob (ccw when viewed looking at my face) until I feel it blowing in my eyes, then turn cw until the leak stops.

A much better approach than the one I've been taking. I put too much into my DME's advice on only backing off a few clicks!

Will try your more logical and common sense method tonight.

As always, appreciate the advice, Mongo!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 10:05 AM)Stargazer Wrote: Being new to cpap, I'm not sure what the balance is between comfort and results. Guess it's a tweaking process for a while.
Always comfort comes first. I would not stress about leak numbers, around 24 L/m is acceptable, even above is not the end of world as long as not coming near my eyes or disturb my sleep. If one mask does not work, try another, plenty of fish in the sea Coffee

ResMed Mirage Quattro CPAP Mask Fitting Guide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5idVkGS954
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing you might want to look at for adjusting your mask is a blog called MASK ARRAYED. Google it and then click on "Taming the Mirage Quattro". There is another fix for the nose bridge problem if all of this does not work. Keep us informed of your progress.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 02:25 PM)zonk Wrote:
(04-18-2014, 10:05 AM)Stargazer Wrote: Being new to cpap, I'm not sure what the balance is between comfort and results. Guess it's a tweaking process for a while.
Always comfort comes first. I would not stress about leak numbers, around 24 L/m is acceptable, even above is not the end of world as long as not coming near my eyes or disturb my sleep. If one mask does not work, try another, plenty of fish in the sea Coffee

ResMed Mirage Quattro CPAP Mask Fitting Guide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5idVkGS954
+1

Perfect leak lines with a sore nose mean you're working too hard on the leaks and not enough on the comfort.

The name of the game is to sleep WELL and COMFORTABLY, not to have perfect numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
This was the mask I used my first time 4 years ago. It took me two weeks to adapt to it. Leaks drove me insane until I got it right. I don't think upsizing will help as there are big differences between the sizes. Don't panic on leaks. Small leaks are fine and the machine compensates for that.

Think of the nose adjustment as a balancing act between the nose and the chin. You have to dial it in just right to get a good fit. Do work on shifting the mask up and down in tiny increments as that can drastically impact the fit (especially on the nose).
Post Reply Post Reply
Much, much better night. For the first time, my nose/face feel almost like I didn't have the mask on.

Great suggestions and the blog and link were VERY helpful as well. Cannot thank you all enough!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 72 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 450 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 110 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 245 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 465 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  If you're finding your CPAP uncomfortable ... Dr.Bob 4 582 11-10-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 324 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.