Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Settings issue - Resmed vpap Auto
Settings issue - Resmed vpap Auto
I have been using my REsmed s9 Vpap auto for just over two years now. I am having a problem. I think the resident at the univeristy clinic I go to may have set the machine to deliver 1/2 treatment after a certain period of time, perhaps 4 hours. Is this possible?? The pressure is certainly less later in the night, and I'm waking up with a headache. I don't think I'm getting enough oxygen. I have accessed the control panels and don't see where this might be indicated. My settings are currently 7 and 12.8. Help! I cannot get an appointment for over two months.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Settings issue - Resmed vpap Auto
(04-18-2014, 08:08 PM)KarenD Wrote: Is this possible?? The pressure is certainly less later in the night, and I'm waking up with a headache.
Not possible. Did you asked for the clinical manual via email? so you know how to check the setting on the machine

As for the headaches, see your doctor
What software are you using, AHI graphs shows if you had an apnea or clusters of apneas at the time of waking up and durations of apnea in seconds. Do you wake up with one or both nostrils feel blocked or nose congested?

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply! I asked for the manual by email earlier today, but haven't received it yet. I don't have software - what do you recommend? I feel I need to take charge of this situation as my clinic is a 5 hr drive away. I want to add that it took me ten months to adjust to CPAP, and 3 sleep studies. I was desperate for it to succeed, as I have severe apnea, although I'm not overweight. It's an inherited condition due to an abnormal conformation of my palate. It was so bad I started passing out and falling down, twice in the street, from lack of sleep.
If I get sufficient pressure to get rid of the apneas, I develop central apneas. It's a very fine line. They thought the centrals would go away over time, but they haven't. I suspect my pressures are too low- 7 / 12.8 -for this reason.
BTW, Stanford also diagnosed my RLS as severe.
I appreciate any advice you can give me. I was thrilled when it started to work for me, but as time passes I know it's not working well enough, because I'm too tired. I really feel as if I'm not getting enough oxygen.
Post Reply Post Reply
You say you have an s9 Vpap auto. (Yet your profile says "ResMed VPAP S9 -- that's not an auto -- the model is next to the start button) The VPAP auto machine can run in 3 modes. As a bilevel in auto mode where it hunts for best pressure within preset limits.
Or, it can run in CPAP mode with a fixed pressure; or S (Spontaneous) mode. In S mode the IPAP and EPAP pressures are fixed.
You need to get into the clinician menu and see which mode it is set to and what the pressure settings are.

If it's running between 7 and 12.8, I doubt it's in auto mode. Not enough of a pressure window to hunt.
Please check and report back.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 08:35 PM)KarenD Wrote: Thanks for your reply! I asked for the manual by email earlier today, but haven't received it yet. I don't have software - what do you recommend?
Won't be long, usually quick response, might be on coffee breaks again Coffee
ResScan software download links
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

ResScan interpretation guide http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

ResScan video tutorial http://apneaboard.com/resscan.htm

S9 VPAP data guide http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ow_eng.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 08:35 PM)KarenD Wrote: Thanks for your reply! I asked for the manual by email earlier today, but haven't received it yet.

Sorry, I was on an extended coffee break. Manual was sent to your email address 5 minutes ago.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Mongo, thank you so much! I feel like I'm going to solve this problem with your help. I'll download the manual in a minute. But to answer your questions first: the machine does say "auto' by the start button, and the 'mode', which I checked (I figured out how to do that in an online video) says 's auto'.

Do I understand that there is not enough of a 'spread' between the two setting for the auto feature to work?

BTW I'm not sure I'm using the website correctly either.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 10:30 PM)KarenD Wrote: Mongo, thank you so much! I feel like I'm going to solve this problem with your help. I'll download the manual in a minute. But to answer your questions first: the machine does say "auto' by the start button, and the 'mode', which I checked (I figured out how to do that in an online video) says 's auto'.

Do I understand that there is not enough of a 'spread' between the two setting for the auto feature to work?

BTW I'm not sure I'm using the website correctly either.

In auto mode, you set IPAPmax and EPAPmin. That's the maximum pressure for inhalation and minimum pressure for expiration. Plus you set PS. The IPAP pressure will be restricted to EPAPmin + PS at the low end and IPAPmax at the high end.

So, let's say your PS is set to 4. You seem to have IPAPmax set to 12.8 and EPAPmin set to 7. Your machine would begin the night at IPAP=7+4=11 cmH2O; and you EPAP at 7. It can raise pressure to IPAP=12.8 which would imply EPAP would rise to 8.8. At PS=4, your room to hunt for optimal pressure is only 1.8 cm-H2O. Not very useful for an auto machine.

Before you mess with settings, you need to examine data on the SD card. Are you getting clusters of apneas? Your machine can differentiate between an obstructive apnea and a central apnea.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

In auto mode, you set IPAPmax and EPAPmin. That's the maximum pressure for inhalation and minimum pressure for expiration. Plus you set PS. The IPAP pressure will be restricted to EPAPmin + PS at the low end and IPAPmax at the high end.

So, let's say your PS is set to 4. You seem to have IPAPmax set to 12.8 and EPAPmin set to 7. Your machine would begin the night at IPAP=7+4=11 cmH2O; and you EPAP at 7. It can raise pressure to IPAP=12.8 which would imply EPAP would rise to 8.8. At PS=4, your room to hunt for optimal pressure is only 1.8 cm-H2O. Not very useful for an auto machine.

Before you mess with settings, you need to examine data on the SD card. Are you getting clusters of apneas? Your machine can differentiate between an obstructive apnea and a central apnea.
[/quote]

Thank you. I've sent a letter to download the rescan software. In the meantime I checked, and yes, the PS is set at 4.0. If I use the treatment for 4. hours, my apneas are low. But if I manage 7. hours, they double or triple.

OH BOY! I just went back to check readings on my machine, and it announced TREATMENT 1/2
I've seen that before - what the heck does it mean??
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 11:23 PM)KarenD Wrote: OH BOY! I just went back to check readings on my machine, and it announced TREATMENT 1/2
I've seen that before - what the heck does it mean??
See pages 10 & 11 http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...er_eng.pdf

I don,t use VPAP machine but seem to me, there are 2 treatment screen 1/2 and 2/2
Press the push dial to toggle between treatment screen 1 & 2
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,102 Today, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,311 Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 76 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,255 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 617 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 168 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 330 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.