Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 Heated Hose Issue
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 Heated Hose Issue
(06-17-2018, 09:25 PM)Gary1of2 Wrote: If you think about it , it is going to feel cool because you body is about 98 degrees,  The hose is  85 degrees.

If you jump in a pool with water at 85 degrees it feels warm almost hot. So I don't why that wouldn't be the same with 85 degree air.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
okay, I'll bite. 13 degrees is 13 degrees. few among us can't tell the difference between 98 and 85.
Post Reply Post Reply
This argument about sensing temperatures based on the typical human's body temperature is not valid.  It has been suggested that 85° air would feel cool, yet on days when we step outside and take a deep breath of 85° air, most of us gasp and quickly return to an air-condition room/car.

To accurately determine if a heated hose is delivering the appropriate heat it is necessary to measure the heated air with a thermometer, not by how cool/hot it "seems".
Post Reply Post Reply
kind of a silly discussion about a small thing, so this'll be my last comment on air temp. yes, of course, measure for certainty and accuracy. but it's silly to think we can't feel a 13 degree difference. for example, if you go from 98 outside to air conditioned 85 inside, it may not be the 70 you prefer but you will feel and appreciate the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can someone explain why one would want to be breathing 80+ degree air through the cpap tube when it’s my understanding that the ideal  bedroom ambient temperature for sleeping is said to be  68 to 72 degrees? Why is the default setting on the tube 81 degrees? And what would be the ideal settings be for humidity  If one used 70 as the tube temp?
Post Reply Post Reply
A few years ago I had this "brilliant" idea, since air is more dense at colder temperatures, then the body should receive a higher percentage of oxygen.  In my search for data to support this theory, I found that in order for the body to obtain maximum oxygen transference, the air has to be as close to body temperature as possible.    Also, the nose acts as an air preheat, as opposed to breathing through the mouth.  Of course I guess this would be mitigated as the air becomes warmer.

I hope this may address your question.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think when they're referring to room temperature it has more to do with blood circulation than breathing.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
My Bad - Thanks Walla Walla! I'll go back in my corner and be quiet.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO only, but I think tube temperature settings affect the air within the tube only. It likely has little influence on the temperature that reaches the mask and the air we breathe. It may feel different when we change settings, but if measured, the changes may be minimal. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The heated hose serves primarily to keep the tube surface at a temperature above the dew point so that warm moist air from the humidifier does not condense. There is too much air volume for the tube to effectively heat the air. The air is warmed more in the humidifier chamber where it picks up air vapor and transfers some heat. On machines that let you set the tube temperature, that has no relation to the temperature of the air passing through the tube, it relates to the surface temperature in the tube.

As the temperature of air and relative humidity entering the tube from the humidifier increase, the dew point also increases. You must set the tube temperature (in manual mode) to be equal or higher than the temperature of the air, assuming 100% relative humidity, to prevent condensation. Try this calculator. http://www.dpcalc.org/ Note the temperature in the humidifier will increase ambient air temperature and humidity, and the tube temperature must be set to be above the dew point.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 15 475 7 hours ago
Last Post: cps22
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 86 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,467 Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 6 335 Yesterday, 02:40 PM
Last Post: pamm777
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 139 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,654 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 27,011 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.