Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Told to not mess with CPAP settings by PCP
RE: Told to not mess with CPAP settings by PCP
I can see it as a possible cautionary thing. After seeing some of these geniuses on the roadway, you can bet that some will start jacking around with the settings without any forethought or knowledge as to why they are modifying one.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2022, 09:07 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I can see it as a possible cautionary thing.  After seeing some of these geniuses on the roadway, you can bet that some will start jacking around with the settings without any forethought or knowledge as to why they are modifying one.

- Red

This is worth repeating!!!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2022, 10:14 AM)Gideon Wrote: This is worth repeating!!!!!!

It's also worth repeating that I asked my PCP for help in configuring a new AS11 and her reply was that it will come preset and I must not touch it.  Good chance that the DME RT doesn't even know about the recent sleep study and will just use the setting from the 7 year old AS10. So, "Shut up, Sleep poorly".  In those 7 years neither my health care provider or DME never looked at my results and recommend changes or a new sleep study.

Until I discovered OSCAR I had no idea of the amount of leak events or other events and which position I was in when they occured.  I had no idea that my CPAP was not using APAP, but was fixed CPAP.  I had no idea that I could change the Ramp start pressure and activate APAP with EPR to relieve exhalation.

My stats from last night was AHI of .30, 1 OA, 2 H, and 1 RE.  Best I've ever had!  I believe that is a result of changing to APAP and upping the start pressure.

IMHO
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't gone back to read all your posts, but if you just had a sleep study and no titration analysis study, then they are using the Resmed's default settings for this purpose.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2022, 11:00 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I haven't gone back to read all your posts, but if you just had a sleep study and no titration analysis study, then they are using the Resmed's default settings for this purpose.

- Red

I received a detailed analysis from the sleep study from my health care provider.  BUT, as I mentioned, the DME typically sets the machine up and has it shipped.  The DME has a record of my 2015 setting of 10, but most likely doesn't have the results from my recent sleep study because the two entities don't coordinate.  I was shut down by me PCP when I asked for help, so I'm on my own.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.  Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2022, 11:21 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.  Big Grin

Absolutely.  My wife and I have learned to omit mentioning things we do that aren't acceptable to 'traditional' medicine.  Our PCP constantly says 'western medicine' this and 'western medicine' that.  Just bite our tongues and move on.  I do a great deal of research that then guides me in my life journey.  Reversed Type II diabetes, dramatically lowered cholesterol/triglycerides using a diet that my PCP said wasn't appropriate (her diet would have kept me diabetic forever).  You gotta do what you gotta do.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 224 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 259 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 932 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Settings Help as New CPAP User alienfrontier 7 471 01-18-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.