Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Several Questions
Several Questions
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and new to Apnea therapy. I have a Dreamstation DX500 and currently using the Amara full face mask, bust started out with the Nuace nose pillow and chin strap. Here are the questions:

For several nights in a row my device usage was, exactly, 1:42, and then I took the mask off in my sleep and don't remember doing it. I find it on the floor. So what could be happening at 1 hour and 42 minutes each night?

Although I'm now using the Amara full face mask, the best usage number was like 3 nights ago and I got 6 hours continuous sleep. But I was using the nose pillow that night. Why would my usage be so good, for only one night, but so poor most of the time?

Super Sleeper sent me the manual (Thanks so much) so I could change settings. All I changed was mask resistance, auto off to the on setting, and mask fit check to on. I can check my fitting before starting the sleep cycle. I noticed many settings were at default; is there anything else I could change to help get more usage?

The Smart Ramp is set to off (default setting I would think) why would my doctor not use this setting? I would think this would be best instead of a fixed ramp, right?

How can I turn off the dumb setting where when you start and then stop the cycle; you get the 'My Info' screen and must clear it to go into the mask fit check for instance? That is the most annoying thing to have to see that I had a one minute usage and then 'congrats' message; it's stupid and must be cleared before moving on.

Last night was an anomaly; I had 95% mask fit and got 2 hours and 5 minutes before taking the mask off, which I found on the floor. But I had stopped the cycle to adjust the mask sometime during the night; it was too tight on my forehead and causing pain. So did the Dreamstation record all of that time as one cycle even though I stopped and started it again? And if so, why?

All of the above is baffling to me and I have no idea about what to do. The strangest things are 1 hour and 42 minute cycles, and, me removing the mask in my sleep. I have to be removing it while still asleep because I have no memory of doing it in the morning.

Oh btw, I'm using the Respironics DreamMapper app on my IPad to see the usage numbers above. This is crummy software in my opinion.

If I have posted this in the wrong thread; I'm sorry and please move if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help with any of the above.

Lowusage
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Several Questions
Welcome

Try using the Sleepyhead software to import and view the data on your SD card.
At 102 minutes, you are probably coming out of your first REM cycle of the night.
I've seen many new user's who post that they removed the mask during the night; but do not remember doing it.

The stop/start is generally lumped into one cycle to make compliance hours easier to figure out.
Sleepyhead will show a gap in data; but will give you credit for both sessions.

Request the clinical manual via email (links at top of page.)
It will permit you to customize settings like ramp to what you feel is best for you.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lowusage,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try wearing your mask and using your machine during the evening as you read or watch tv to see if that helps you get used to this new way of sleeping.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Were you saying that before you could make adjustments you would take your mask off in your sleep and the machine would be blowing for the rest of the night and that would not wake you up. Wow, you must sleep really soundly.

One method that I can think of that might help stopping the mask removal would be to give your brain some negative feedback when that occurs. One thing that I was going to suggest is to turn the leak alarm on if your machine has one in the hope that it would wake you up completely and you could re-affix the mask and go back to sleep. That may sound stupid and simple but my wife cured me of snoring before I was on CPAP by giving me an elbow to the ribs every time she caught me snoring. Eventually my brain caught on and I quit snoring.

You are the best one to figure out how to give your sleeping brain negative rewards for not cooperating. One thing that I thought of is to hang your hose from over your head like with a hose hanger so the mask would not go anywhere when taken off and the sound of the blowing might wake you up. Then you could remask and go back to sleep. After a while your brain should figure out that its little tricks do not rid it of the mask and CPAP, they just do not let it get the sleep that it wants. That should be enough after a while to convince Mr. Brain to quit playing that silly game.

Just some thoughts.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, and thanks! I have the Sleepy Head software, and since I'm unfamiliar with what the readings mean;'it's all hieroglyphics to me or rocket science.

So if at 1hr and 40 minutes I'm coming out of REM sleep; are you saying that the CPAP device is waking me up/uncomfortable/disturbing me? If so, what is the fix for this?

trish6hundred:

Thanks for the welcome wish. I have some 'test naps' if you want to call it that: just lying in bed basically awake and just breathing through the device.

But that may be a good idea to wear it while watching TV in the bedroom in bed right before lights out.

I have an appointment with my doctor/Sleep Center and will ask what's going on. My hunch is; some ramp or other process is either starting or stopping after that amount of time.

Thanks All,

Low
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2016, 03:44 PM)lowusage Wrote: So if at 1hr and 40 minutes I'm coming out of REM sleep; are you saying that the CPAP device is waking me up/uncomfortable/disturbing me? If so, what is the fix for this?

I have an appointment with my doctor/Sleep Center and will ask what's going on. My hunch is; some ramp or other process is either starting or stopping after that amount of time.

Thanks All,

Low

I am not saying that the CPAP is waking you up. I am saying that I think your subconscious brain is waking you up because it does not like the new circumstances. Maybe it thinks that your CPAP is trying to tell you when to breathe and Mr. Brain might not like a stupid machine horning in on his territory.

So far, if I remember correctly, you have reported 2 nights in a row where you woke up in 1 hr. 40 min. Then you reported a night where you did not wake up for over 5 hours. That does not necessarily sound like a trend to me. It would be a good idea to Look at Sleepyhead charts and see if anything weird goes on when you wake up. Other than that I think you would be wasting your time.

Keep us informed.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll also need to give yourself some time to get used to therapy. It is not natural to have things strapped to our face when we are sleeping. Make small changes and give it two weeks to settle in before making more changes.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2016, 08:37 AM)AlanE Wrote: You'll also need to give yourself some time to get used to therapy. It is not natural to have things strapped to our face when we are sleeping. Make small changes and give it two weeks to settle in before making more changes.

This is some of the best advice that can be found anywhere on here. I too had to come to grips with the idea that I couldn't make changes every night and expect any sensible results. Once I slowed down to one small change per week, things started making much more sense. It makes a huge difference to allow your body to become accustomed to this machine attached to you.

Frank
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I made a small change and got a little over 3 hours last night. I turned on Smart Ramp but have questions: I went to sleep at the very latest about 10:30 which is 6hrs before my alarm goes off. But I woke a little before the alarm went on and still had the mask on. So why is it reporting a little over 3 hours when it should be at least 5 assuming it took me 15 minutes to fall asleep?

Does pressing the ramp button change/alter Smart Ramp in any way?

Previously before enabling it. I would always press the Ramp button so it lowers the pressure to 4 instead of just turning the device on and starting out at 6 which is the prescribed low end number. Starting at 6 is a little too much pressure to fall asleep easily. At 6 my breathing is labored and it takes longer to fall asleep. My range is 6-13. I didn't change the time on Smart Ramp, just enabled it.

Also, when I woke this morning; my throat and mouth were completely parched, like I had just been standing in some desert for hours with no water. So I was thinking of turning up the built in humidifier from 2 to 3. But leave the heated hose at 2. My thinking is that I will get more humidity. I realize not turning up the heated hose may leave condensation in the hose, but so what? Better than waking up totally parched. I couldn't hardly even speak it was so bad.

Any advice?

Low
Post Reply Post Reply
Raising the humidity will help but may not solve the problem completely. Another thing that will help is some anti dry mouth medication like Biotene mouthwash for dry mouth.

I do not know about the ramp features so hopefully someone who is will answer your questions.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 10 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 265 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 305 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 463 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,593 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.