Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account


New Posts   Today's Posts

Severe Apnea - Advice Needed
#11
Dreams of Green,
I know that any person with a DEA number can write a script for a CPAP and masks. This includes dentists. I don't know about the test.
Post Reply Post Reply
#12
altho a rx can be written without the test, if you are trying to get insurance to cover, they won't without a test -- ymmv -- but that is my understanding. You can get home tests and most insurance will cover that, and it is faster - this is really location dependent, tho. Once tested, given the severity you have described, they will not linger on getting him what he needs. My son had a home test; his doc made sure he got a cpap the very day she read his report (his AHI was > 100 and his desats in the low 70s)
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
#13
I'm still working on this. Does anyone have any recommendations clinics that do online consultations, then send a sleet test kit out? My family member is traveling the next 3 weeks and I'm still trying to figure out a way to make this happen sooner rather than later.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply


#14
Supplier #10 as noted earlier in this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
#15
So as expected, this has been a typical healthcare industry nightmare. We got him to see a sleep specialist, who instantly agreed he is a textbook case of severe apnea.....and scheduled him for an in office test 2 months from now as their earliest opening. Insurance did approve, so that's good. Asked the doctors office for an in home test so he doesn't have to wait 2 months and got the totally BS response that would also take a month and a half. We considered continuing to call around and seeing who could test him fast, but I know the game, they'll all want to see him before committing to a schedule, won't be able to use the insurance approval he's already got, and by the time we get him into see someone else, then schedule, we might as well have waited the 2 months.

So at this point were going to stick with the appointment so he can get the official diagnosis, but I'm ordering a CPAP machine for him using my prescription. So here are my questions:

1. I have some extra nasal masks he could start with. We don't really know if he mouth breathes. Do we start with a nasal, use sleepyhead to monitor the results, and if AHI are brought under control we know he doesn't mouth breathe? Getting him the proper mask type is my biggest concern.

2. Is there ANY danger I am missing of letting him start treatment before diagnosis? I mean, we know right now he has severe apnea with severe oxygen deprivation, so the greatest risk to me seems to be to let him go 2 more months like this! It's having a major impact on his life - constant exhaustion, memory issues etc. I'm thinking get him the autoset and set a good range and it'll do it's job of setting the upper limit.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
#16
There's nothing wrong with finding a sleep specialist that has their own sleep lab for study and titration purposes.

I generally prefer to find a dr that doesn't have a sleep lab associated with him because they might be inclined to do things that aren't in your financial best interest.

I went to an internist, not a GP, not a Cardiologist, not a Sleep or pulmonary specialist. My internist wrote me up as being a candidate for having a Cardiac issue as well as potential for Pulmonary Edema.

The sleep lab had a wait of 14 weeks, but with my Dr suggesting my issues, I was in the study within a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, they did a full sleep study and not a split sleep study.

In the Split, once they see you have sleep apnea (usually within an hour or two) they turn right around and titraiate you the same night.

The obvious benefit of this is it completely short circuits the process by up to a few months and the $$$ to you and the insurance co is less. Besides, within a couple of days usually you have an Rx for a ?PAP and associated equipment.

So try to get a split test if you can, and if you can get someone that's not associated with a sleep lab its even better.

The other thing to concern yourself about with a "one stop shop" as you seem to have, is they may or may not have a wide array of masks and devices that would benefit your partner the best. Trying to chance from a sleep lab to another DME can be a royal pain in the tail feathers.

Hope that helps

Oh.. BTW.. welcome and sorry to hear of the affliction, but happy there's a treatment for it.. not likely a cure.. but a treatment..

BTW, you didn't say where you live, but here's a site that may help you find a facility:

http://www.sleepapnea.org

http://www.sleeptember.org/

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply


#17
Thanks, the study is a split study. At this point I think we are good and going to stick with that. I just want to help him get a cpap and mask now. We don't care about the extra cost at this point, his health is too important and his condition is severe enough that it's absurd for him to wait another 2 months. He needs to start feeling better now.
Post Reply Post Reply
#18
(08-26-2016, 01:57 PM)Dreams of Green Wrote: So as expected, this has been a typical healthcare industry nightmare. We got him to see a sleep specialist, who instantly agreed he is a textbook case of severe apnea.....and scheduled him for an in office test 2 months from now as their earliest opening. Insurance did approve, so that's good. Asked the doctors office for an in home test so he doesn't have to wait 2 months and got the totally BS response that would also take a month and a half. We considered continuing to call around and seeing who could test him fast, but I know the game, they'll all want to see him before committing to a schedule, won't be able to use the insurance approval he's already got, and by the time we get him into see someone else, then schedule, we might as well have waited the 2 months.

So at this point were going to stick with the appointment so he can get the official diagnosis, but I'm ordering a CPAP machine for him using my prescription. So here are my questions:

1. I have some extra nasal masks he could start with. We don't really know if he mouth breathes. Do we start with a nasal, use sleepyhead to monitor the results, and if AHI are brought under control we know he doesn't mouth breathe? Getting him the proper mask type is my biggest concern.

2. Is there ANY danger I am missing of letting him start treatment before diagnosis? I mean, we know right now he has severe apnea with severe oxygen deprivation, so the greatest risk to me seems to be to let him go 2 more months like this! It's having a major impact on his life - constant exhaustion, memory issues etc. I'm thinking get him the autoset and set a good range and it'll do it's job of setting the upper limit.

Thanks

^^^ Anyone? ^^^

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
#19
Perhaps you should consult with a medical professional. I am not a doctor. I can imagine that specific, severe heart, lung, ear, eye, and stomach issues could be impacted by CPAP. Does he have any other known health issues? ASV machines (which are not ordinary CPAP machines) are known to cause problems with certain heart conditions.

That said, none of those conditions are likely to get diagnosed during an overnight sleep test. Specialist medical advice is needed.
Post Reply Post Reply


#20
Dreams of Green: Perhaps your greatest risk is financial. If you purchase an Autoset and the diagnosis is mixed or central apnea, the Autoset may be the wrong machine. Are there physical risks -- some. There are some conditions for which CPAP is contraindicated. So, it's an "at your risk" situation; although I do understand your desire to do something ASAP.

If he is seriously desaturating, he may require an oxygen concentrator to induce supplemental oxygen into the PAP flow.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New User Seeking Advice - Thanks! WantoSleep 25 668 05-23-2017, 11:20 AM
Last Post: chill
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 22 1,146 05-22-2017, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Russatrice
  [Equipment] Old CFlex Remstar Plus Manual needed Skillful 5 134 05-19-2017, 08:22 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Resmed Airfit F20 fitting advice Binti1962 6 418 05-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Last Post: robertbuckley
  Advice on spare machine for weekend vacation house signal13 11 342 05-17-2017, 04:23 PM
Last Post: CPAPreturnee
  Advice on travel CPAPs JaneAM 12 956 05-14-2017, 08:51 AM
Last Post: lab rat
  Need help and advice on Quality of sleep and AHI ravik 87 2,922 05-13-2017, 11:38 PM
Last Post: TexasTiger

Forum Jump:

New Posts   Today's Posts




About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.

For any more information, please use our contact form.