Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Severe Diagnosis, losing insurance
RE: Severe Diagnosis, losing insurance
Doc should NOT be po'd if you ask for prescription OR you can just let (another) DME do the asking on your behalf -- that's what I did when ordering from vendor #1 or my other (extra) DME.

re-read justMongo on COBRA.

COBRA can be expensive but if you can get all your stuff paid it might mean you should do it AT LEAST a couple of months.

Since you have significant health problems in addition to OSA, it might argue for you staying on COBRA or finding out what provision there is for moving from Empl/COBRA to a TOP ObamaCare policy.

Losing a job, we have no idea what your financial situation is reguarding buying your own insurance -- WE bought cobra for 17 years* until Obamacare forced them to cancel our policy (had policy 20 years total, including as employee.)

Technically it was only COBRA at beginning and converted to non-COBRA without losing coverage -- even that didn't force them to cancel us like ObamaCare did.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2014, 02:37 PM)tcarmen Wrote:
(05-27-2014, 02:28 PM)justMongo Wrote: Be sure to get a prescription from your last doctor visit. Required in the US.

What's the deal with prescriptions? My doc just sent "something" over to the DME, and I got my stuff. Is he required to give me a copy if I ask? Will it p*** him off? Will he even care?

Right now I have insurance and everything is good, but I'd like a copy in case he retires or I lose my insurance or need to buy a machine somewhere else.

Hi tcarmen,
EVERYONE who has been diagnosed as an apniac should have a hard copy of their own PAP prescription. No Exceptions.

For example, if you travel by air, the PAP device is classified as "Medical Equipment" and cannot be counted against your carryon allowance. The airline folk may ask to see your prescription, to prove that you are entitled to this. I recently went to the hospital ER for a few tests, and unexpectedly ended up staying for 2 days. I could have needed to show the hospital people the Rx to have them provide equivalent equipment w/ appropriate settings. It doesn't really matter why you want the prescription, you or your insurance have paid for the diagnosis, etc. and you are entitled to that proof.

In my own case, I asked my GP for a copy. I got runaround. I asked again when I was in for another reason. He said "There is no paper prescription - it was transmitted electronically to Apria. Get a copy from them". This, of course, was more runaround, but I was able to get a copy from Apria (the DME), and I have it carefully stashed. I have also scanned it and have a .JPG image that I can email or fax as the case may be. I later found that this is actually the procedure from my healthcare provider.

This has already been of benefit, as follows. I inquired of Apria their policy on mask trials. I was told "You can order a new mask. You have 30 days to decide if you want to return or accept it. If you want to return it, you can do so FOR EXCHANGE, ONCE". So, if you try out a mask under Apria's scheme, you will end up with either Mask A or Mask B. Consequently, I ordered a new mask from Supplier #26, not Apria, and I emailed the PAP Rx to them, or they could not have accepted my order. I now have 30 days to decide to keep it or return it FOR A FULL REFUND. I can do this as many times as it takes to find the right mask.

The takeaway: Get a copy of your prescription, and guard it carefully. You might need it at anytime, for a variety of purposes.

Good Luck,
A.Becker

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2014, 03:31 PM)becker44a Wrote:
(05-27-2014, 02:37 PM)tcarmen Wrote:
(05-27-2014, 02:28 PM)justMongo Wrote: Be sure to get a prescription from your last doctor visit. Required in the US.

What's the deal with prescriptions? My doc just sent "something" over to the DME, and I got my stuff. Is he required to give me a copy if I ask? Will it p*** him off? Will he even care?

Right now I have insurance and everything is good, but I'd like a copy in case he retires or I lose my insurance or need to buy a machine somewhere else.

Hi tcarmen,
EVERYONE who has been diagnosed as an apniac should have a hard copy of their own PAP prescription. No Exceptions.

For example, if you travel by air, the PAP device is classified as "Medical Equipment" and cannot be counted against your carryon allowance. The airline folk may ask to see your prescription, to prove that you are entitled to this. I recently went to the hospital ER for a few tests, and unexpectedly ended up staying for 2 days. I could have needed to show the hospital people the Rx to have them provide equivalent equipment w/ appropriate settings. It doesn't really matter why you want the prescription, you or your insurance have paid for the diagnosis, etc. and you are entitled to that proof.

In my own case, I asked my GP for a copy. I got runaround. I asked again when I was in for another reason. He said "There is no paper prescription - it was transmitted electronically to Apria. Get a copy from them". This, of course, was more runaround, but I was able to get a copy from Apria (the DME), and I have it carefully stashed. I have also scanned it and have a .JPG image that I can email or fax as the case may be. I later found that this is actually the procedure from my healthcare provider.

This has already been of benefit, as follows. I inquired of Apria their policy on mask trials. I was told "You can order a new mask. You have 30 days to decide if you want to return or accept it. If you want to return it, you can do so FOR EXCHANGE, ONCE". So, if you try out a mask under Apria's scheme, you will end up with either Mask A or Mask B. Consequently, I ordered a new mask from Supplier #26, not Apria, and I emailed the PAP Rx to them, or they could not have accepted my order. I now have 30 days to decide to keep it or return it FOR A FULL REFUND. I can do this as many times as it takes to find the right mask.

The takeaway: Get a copy of your prescription, and guard it carefully. You might need it at anytime, for a variety of purposes.

Good Luck,
A.Becker

I'd fire that doctor. He may send the Rx to a DME by electronic means.
But, you have a right to a copy; and you may fill that RX at any supplier. Now, insurance may not cover it if you use just any supplier; but, you still have that right.

THe last doctor I fired was an orthopedist. He was punching me in the back and asking me if it hurt -- I told him, "Turn around and we'll find out." Then I walked out.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,515 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 197 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 182 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 716 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] Didn't know this existed. Hi! And diagnosis please smgemd 6 247 03-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 244 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.