Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Severe Diagnosis, losing insurance
Gross 
Severe Diagnosis, losing insurance
Hello everyone. I am brand spanking new to the board, so please forgive any missteps or ignorant questions. I've known I've had sleep apnea since I was 12 (I'm 33 now), but only recently took the steps to address it. I've done a total of 3 sleep studies done in the past 2 months, and here is, what I believe, the relevant info:

Rating of 130, both obstructive and central. Central represents about 15% of instances. Mild COPD. 50/50 mouth breathing/nose breathing due to medical issues as a child.

Unfortunately, I'll be losing my insurance at the end of the month (5 days) due to job separation. So what was once a sure thing insurance coverage for the machine, is no longer the case. I'm going to attempt to see my doctor this week for the final analysis (Last study was done to test for ASV usage due to the central apnea).

So, knowing that I'm going to be needing/using an ASV, and paying for it out of pocket, I'm hoping that there may be others on the board here that can recommend a quality product at a decent price. The only ones I can find that specifically mention the Adaptive quality are over 3 grand, and that simply isn't in my price range Sad

Thanks for any input you may have!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Severe Diagnosis, losing insurance
(05-27-2014, 12:59 AM)Droosk Wrote: I'm going to attempt to see my doctor this week for the final analysis (Last study was done to test for ASV usage due to the central apnea).

So, knowing that I'm going to be needing/using an ASV, and paying for it out of pocket, I'm hoping that there may be others on the board here that can recommend a quality product at a decent price.

Hi Droosk, welcome to the forum!

You want either the ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt or the Philips Respironics System One BiPAP autoSV Advanced.

Supplier #2 has these.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

If the S9 VPAP Adapt is USA Model# 36007 then (like mine) it is the older model, made earlier than November 2012, which, unlike present USA model 36037, does not have the new ASVauto mode, able to automatically adjust both exhale pressure (EPAP) to optimally treat obstructive apneas and Pressure Support (PS) to optimally treat central events. On model 36007 only the PS auto-adjusts, and EPAP is manually adjusted. Both models support heated hose option and both models are fully data-capable.

If the Philips Respironics System One BiPAP autoSV Advanced does not have a heated hose option then it is the older "50 series" model, not the present "60 series" model. Both System One models can automatically adjust both EPAP and PS, and both are fully data-capable.

Take care,
-- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Droosk,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry to hear about your insurance problem.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2014, 12:59 AM)Droosk Wrote: Hello everyone. I am brand spanking new to the board, so please forgive any missteps or ignorant questions. I've known I've had sleep apnea since I was 12 (I'm 33 now), but only recently took the steps to address it. I've done a total of 3 sleep studies done in the past 2 months, and here is, what I believe, the relevant info:

Rating of 130, both obstructive and central. Central represents about 15% of instances. Mild COPD. 50/50 mouth breathing/nose breathing due to medical issues as a child.

Unfortunately, I'll be losing my insurance at the end of the month (5 days) due to job separation. So what was once a sure thing insurance coverage for the machine, is no longer the case. I'm going to attempt to see my doctor this week for the final analysis (Last study was done to test for ASV usage due to the central apnea).

So, knowing that I'm going to be needing/using an ASV, and paying for it out of pocket, I'm hoping that there may be others on the board here that can recommend a quality product at a decent price. The only ones I can find that specifically mention the Adaptive quality are over 3 grand, and that simply isn't in my price range Sad

Thanks for any input you may have!

You don't indicate where you are located, is it the US? Supposedly this is covered under Obama Care, have you checked with them? I don't have a lot of faith in it, but you never know, maybe this will be ok as you are insured under an employer and they are separating away from open enrollment??? It's worth a shot to call them. So sorry you are going through this.

Post Reply Post Reply
Most of the "affordable" Obamacare options carry VERY high deductibles so you'd be looking at paying the entire cost out of pocket.
Assuming you need the ASV machine but can not afford a new one, best options would be:

1) Used ASV
2) Used BIPAP
3) Used CPAP

Obviously the ASV would be best but in many cases, CPAP/BIPAP would be better than nothing (but talk to your sleep doctor about this before making this decision).
Post Reply Post Reply
also, craigslist.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2014, 12:59 AM)Droosk Wrote: Thanks for any input you may have!

Got friends?

The percentage of people who continue on CPAP is pretty low, and people with insurance get a new machine every 5 years, so if you told all your friends you need a really cheap/free machine, and have them ask *their* friends, I'd be really surprised if someone didn't have an extra machine for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not a lawyer.. in the US, you can continue employer heath care under COBRA for up to 18 months.
COBRA is part of ERISA. You have to pay the premiums.

Now, you may not be in the US; or, you may mean your COBRA is running out...
If in the US, you might consider COBRA long enough to get a machine.

Or, do a cost analysis on getting a machine out-of-pocket.
vsheline has recommended some good sources.
I have insurance; and I went to #2 to get the machine I wanted.

Be sure to get a prescription from your last doctor visit. Required in the US.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2014, 02:28 PM)justMongo Wrote: Be sure to get a prescription from your last doctor visit. Required in the US.

What's the deal with prescriptions? My doc just sent "something" over to the DME, and I got my stuff. Is he required to give me a copy if I ask? Will it p*** him off? Will he even care?

Right now I have insurance and everything is good, but I'd like a copy in case he retires or I lose my insurance or need to buy a machine somewhere else.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your DME should be able to print you out a copy of that order (usually at no charge).

It is YOUR medical record and your doctor can't deny it to you (but some offices charge a fee). I doubt your doctor would even care about giving you a copy of that order. You can take that order to any DME to get supplies with (assuming your insurance participates with your DME of choice).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,524 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 183 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 726 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] Didn't know this existed. Hi! And diagnosis please smgemd 6 251 03-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.