Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Severe vs. moderate apnea
Severe vs. moderate apnea
Does anyone think that maybe people who have severe to very severe apnea adapt more quickly because their sleep must have been non-existent.   And that people with moderate apnea take a longer timer because their sleep quality didn't seem that bad to them.  I am on the cusp of moderate and severe. 

After changing masks to nasal instead of nasal pillows, I sleep just fine with my mask and get 100 percent scores on leaks and pressure and usage.  But where's the rested and refreshed part?

This is a medically prescribed treatment.  Why is it so hit and miss? 

I know sometimes people have to fiddle with their prescriptions to get the right pill and dose.  But there is no alternative to the machine.  Maybe adjustments to settings can be made but with doctor's appointments two months apart if you're lucky, what to do in the meantime?  Just suffer?

I'm grateful to this forum for the helpful advice I've been given and I'm not yelling at anyone here. 

I want to know why the brain, with its infinite ability to absorb knowledge and adapt to even catastrophic changes, can't seem to process the idea that breathing has improved and there's no need to freak anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Severe vs. moderate apnea
(08-01-2017, 01:42 PM)Tess Wrote: Does anyone think that maybe people who have severe to very severe apnea adapt more quickly because their sleep must have been non-existent.   And that people with moderate apnea take a longer timer because their sleep quality didn't seem that bad to them.  I am on the cusp of moderate and severe. 

Nope, I don't see into that analogy.  I've seen young and old and those with mild to severe Apnea. Some folk just adapt faster than others.

After changing masks to nasal instead of nasal pillows, I sleep just fine with my mask and get 100 percent scores on leaks and pressure and usage.  But where's the rested and refreshed part?

Same thing...rested and refreshed comes sooner for some.  For me, it was going on 8 months to sort it all out and start to feel good.  I didn't accept the diagnosis at first, but then my doctor said something to me that turned it around.  He told me that it was up to me to use Cpap, but if not, he doubted I'd be around in 5 years.  

Everyone is different, and attitude is everything.  If you accept that you have sleep apnea, and that treatment is necessary for your continued health, then most decide to do everything they can and adapt.

This is a medically prescribed treatment.  Why is it so hit and miss? 

There is not much difference in someone with SA trying to find the right mask, optimal pressure settings, etc. than having any other illness to deal with.  

Do you think someone diagnosed with diabetes doesn't have to constantly check their blood sugar levels, or someone with high blood pressure trying different doses of medicines to regulate it. What about someone with thyroid issues. They don't always get the dose right first time around.

I know sometimes people have to fiddle with their prescriptions to get the right pill and dose.  But there is no alternative to the machine.  Maybe adjustments to settings can be made but with doctor's appointments two months apart if you're lucky, what to do in the meantime?  Just suffer?

You don't have to wait for a doctor appointment and "suffer" in the meantime.

There are very knowledgeable folk here that can help if you let them.  And no, were not doctors and don't mean to take place of your doctor, but we base our help on personal experience.  

You can take charge of your therapy and learn how to make pressure changes, and post screenshots.  It's up to you.

I'm grateful to this forum for the helpful advice I've been given and I'm not yelling at anyone here. 

We know your not yelling at us...it's called "ranting", and is ok.

I want to know why the brain, with its infinite ability to absorb knowledge and adapt to even catastrophic changes, can't seem to process the idea that breathing has improved and there's no need to freak anymore.

Again, it is attitude....you can decide to take this on or you can tell yourself you can't do it.  I hope you can turn the corner and decide to do all you can for yourself and make this work.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Download SleepyHead software from here: https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

Read the user guide here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead to get it installed and learn the basics.

Then post your data as described in these instructions: Posting SleepyHead Charts in 5 Easy Steps

You will get a lot of useful help from the forum once we see some data.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Mild, moderate, and severe are just names for the three groups the medical researchers agreed to group us into.  I think the first names were Curly, Larry, and Moe but someone felt that lacked sufficient gravitas.  The are not directly related to the actual, individual impact of sleep disordered breathing.  If anything, I'd expect those with severe apnea to take longer to feel good as they may have more harm to repair.  As I think I have mentioned to you before, there are things not reflected in a low AHI that can result in poor quality sleep.

A CPAP machine is not a TV remote control.  You can't just click to the right station and get what you want.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, OpalRose.  I'm sticking with it, but, yes, need to rant sometimes.

Plus things are better, not great, but better. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
It's me who is acting like a stooge.  Thanks for the laugh.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are feeling better that is a good sign.  I felt better almost immediately.  Not great at all, but better than ready for a coffin which is how I felt before CPAP. It was at least a year before I felt good and there were ups and downs that year.  I am still working on great, but getting there more often than not.  Hang in there!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tess,
I’m so glad to hear that you are going to stick with CPAP therapy and that you are starting to feel a bit better.
Just keep on hanging in there with it, you will get to feeling better and better over time.

Oh, and it’s ok to rant once in a while, it’s all part of this whole thing, nothing stugey about it.
Keep Pushin
On.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 618 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 583 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 493 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 510 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,779 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 884 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  Moderate OSA - CPAP Therapy Review Sleepymcsleep 0 343 10-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Sleepymcsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.