Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Shadowpup] ASV Therapy Thread
RE: First Nignt on AirCurve 10 ASV Disappointing
(08-09-2020, 06:07 AM)Shadowpup Wrote: Well the results of the tight collar are in.  Not much change from yesterday.  I’ll post screen shots after some morning chores.  Going hand-over-hand through the machine settings I noticed an anomaly. Settings displayed on the OSCAR sidebar right under the AHI banner - min EPAP 5.0 and max IPAP 35.0.  The machine shows EPAP 5 -15, not IPAP.  Is this important?

The ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV does not show an IPAP setting. You have EPAP in ASV or EPAP Min/Max on ASV Auto and then PS Min/Max. IPAP doesn't show because this is controlled by the machine algorithm.

If you want to know what IPAP is going to be, use this math formula: EPAP + PS = IPAP. And this ASV will never go over 25 total regardless of settings.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Originally the ramp was to help with air swallowing.  It seemed to help, but that is subjective.

I’ll try no ramp for a while.  Got to keep trying until I get the benefits of this new machine.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do keep us updated as we can actively keep on this to get the therapy to work great.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Third night on ASV.  Replaced the ramp pillow with a nice soft flat pillow.  Progress on AHI.  Feel better, slept more comfortably, and for longer than other machine.  Did experience arousals from high pressure instances.  Did the blow back trick which allowed me to go back to sleep  Any advice to improve my therapy welcomed.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is looking better. Still some obstructive clusters to work on.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2020, 11:30 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 06:07 AM)Shadowpup Wrote: Well the results of the tight collar are in.  Not much change from yesterday.  I’ll post screen shots after some morning chores.  Going hand-over-hand through the machine settings I noticed an anomaly. Settings displayed on the OSCAR sidebar right under the AHI banner - min EPAP 5.0 and max IPAP 35.0.  The machine shows EPAP 5 -15, not IPAP.  Is this important?

The ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV does not show an IPAP setting. You have EPAP in ASV or EPAP Min/Max on ASV Auto and then PS Min/Max. IPAP doesn't show because this is controlled by the machine algorithm.

If you want to know what IPAP is going to be, use this math formula: EPAP + PS = IPAP. And this ASV will never go over 25 total regardless of settings.

If you scroll down in that pane to the detailed settings, it should show you the machine-specific pressure settings. The summary at the top doesn't always report things in exactly the same way as any given machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a mystery.  Therapy on this ASV feels much more comfortable.  I am able to sleep longer and better.  Bed, environment, diet, exercise, etc is the same as the 120 days I was on the Autoset 10 Automatic.  However, the cluster apneas are much worse on the ASV.  Last night I tried 1 L/minute O2.  Didn't see any effect.  I guess my plan of action is to keep on as is until my body gets used to the new normal.  Appreciate any suggestions.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at the Corflex Ultra soft cervical collar. It has a wide range of heights from 2 to 4-1/2" and fits a lot of neck circumferences. Your UA events are obstructive clusters caused by occlusion of your airway, and even the maximum EPAP is not breaking the apnea. You may want to consider increasing the EPAP max setting to 18, but I doubt that will keep your airway patent from the physical obstruction that is occurring.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with your take about clusters.

I measured my neck.  14.5” dia at the Adam’s Apple.  5” from the clavicle bump to the mandible.

Corflex makes a 4.5” high cervical collar.  The smallest neck size offered is 16” to 20”.  The 3M 4.5” collar I am using fits my neck snugly with room for two fingers.

Perhaps if/when I turn to my side, my airway is closed by the kink in my neck.  I’m going to try a yoga block under each end of my flat pillow.  That might keep my airway straight when I sleep on my side.  Better, it may keep me on my back.

My first sleep study earlier this year showed 100% of my sleep was on my back.  That tracked with my long experience of waking in the morning flat on my back with my book lying right on my chest.  The next two sleep studies showed I was tossing and turning.  Wish I knew how to get back to my normal supine all nighters.

Thanks for your Corflex suggestion.  I’ll post the results of my yoga block experiment in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those are some impressive slender, long neck measurements. I guess it goes along with the need for ASV, but we need to address the obstructive clusters to really do the job here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,073 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 169 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,361 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,213 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.