Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Shadowpup] ASV Therapy Thread
RE: First Nignt on AirCurve 10 ASV Disappointing
AHI still poor compared to last four months.  May have nothing to do with sleep as my resting heart rate was around 80 all night.  That is compared to long term normal of 50.  Body temperature overnight +0.2F, so that is very normal.  Time for a pause in this AHI pursuit until my vitals return to normal.  Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  Drifting back into the shadows for now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Before you disappear, I'd like to get a closeup look at the respiration rate (2-minute zoom) in the flow chart. The idea is to get a zoomed view of some of these clusters as they begin, so hopefully some normal respiration leading to the sudden obstructive hypopnea or UA. The onset of these events is not gradual, so we should be able to see exactly what happens from a respiratory volume point of view at the horizon of the event.

With regard to your therapy, since we have been unable to adequately help you, please follow-up with your doctor. I am completely convinced the events are obstructive. These won't go away just because you stop therapy. If you find differently, let us know. When monitoring your heart rate, are you able to correlate the time of the obstructive clusters, with the increase in heart rate?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree the events are obstructive.  I should have been more clear.  I am continuing my therapy, just stopping a quest for lower AHI until my vitals return to normal.  Peak resting heart rate of 99 bpm occurred about 0030 hours.  Most of the rest of the night the resting heart rate was around 80 bpm for an overall average of 80 bpm.  At 0030, there was a small cluster, but not unlike the others that were at 80 bpm.  100 bpm occurred during rem sleep.
As you can see, the ASV jumps in and restores breathing, only to have my respiratory effort fail once the ASV backs off.

Thanks for your interest and help.  I am not giving up.  Curing sleep apnea is a piece of a much more dangerous health condition being addressed.  Rest assured I am going to get this sorted.  I'll just be working on it from the shadows in the landscape of life.

Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting to see how the events progress. If you want to see that with the ASV response on a breath by breath basis, use mask pressure instead of pressure and you will see how the ASV jumps in even more clearly. I see obstruction in those closeups, with arousal which clears the airway for several breaths, then a return to the obstruction. The pressure support with up to 25 cm pressure is making very little impact during the apnea and hypopnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
the flow rate pattern, the fairly uniform periodicity of events, the ineffectively swinging pressure support & the fact that your obstructions do not respond to pressure or a collar, suggest the possibility of movement, as in periodic limb movement.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are getting these results every night and still have the Autoset then try it for another night to see what happens and post those results. Maybe post up some of your older autoset data too (any cases showing what appear to maybe be positional apnea like this).

If these are purely positional, obstructive apneas then what could be happening is that the Autoset was no match for the positional apnea, you would have an couple apneas then have an arousal because of them. The ASV blasting away to try and keep the airway open once it starts to close might be doing just enough to keep you in a state of sleep (or deeper state of sleep) extending the length/occurrence of these apneas. You can tell from your data your airway rarely closes fully but with the autoset that might have been a different story.

This theory is based on the machine capability but also because you say that you believe you are sleeping better even though your AHI is higher. If it happens to be the case then your results aren't actually disappointing but rather encouraging and you just need to figure out the rest of the puzzle. Too hard to diagnose further without knowing what your past autoset results etc looked like though. Conversely if you weren't having what appeared to be positional apnea before than it would seem unlikely to me that they are now an issue just because of changing machine type.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2020, 10:36 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Interesting to see how the events progress.  If you want to see that with the ASV response on a breath by breath basis, use mask pressure instead of pressure and you will see how the ASV jumps in even more clearly.  I see obstruction in those closeups, with arousal which clears the airway for several breaths, then a return to the obstruction.  The pressure support with up to 25 cm pressure is making very little impact during the apnea and hypopnea.

Mask pressure is a better look.  Thanks for the tip.  That quick response is probably what keeps me from completely waking.  I'll keep on trying.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2020, 01:45 PM)sheepless Wrote: the flow rate pattern, the fairly uniform periodicity of events, the ineffectively swinging pressure support & the fact that your obstructions do not respond to pressure or a collar, suggest the possibility of movement, as in periodic limb movement.

You are correct about movement.  I do turn to my side from time to time.  However, I have had three sleep tests since Jan 2020.  No periodic limb movement.  I have a movement monitor on my hand and that indicates random movement, but not a lot of them.  Thanks for taking the time to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2020, 08:07 AM)Geer1 Wrote: If you are getting these results every night and still have the Autoset then try it for another night to see what happens and post those results. Maybe post up some of your older autoset data too (any cases showing what appear to maybe be positional apnea like this).

If these are purely positional, obstructive apneas then what could be happening is that the Autoset was no match for the positional apnea, you would have an couple apneas then have an arousal because of them. The ASV blasting away to try and keep the airway open once it starts to close might be doing just enough to keep you in a state of sleep (or deeper state of sleep) extending the length/occurrence of these apneas. You can tell from your data your airway rarely closes fully but with the autoset that might have been a different story.

This theory is based on the machine capability but also because you say that you believe you are sleeping better even though your AHI is higher. If it happens to be the case then your results aren't actually disappointing but rather encouraging and you just need to figure out the rest of the puzzle. Too hard to diagnose further without knowing what your past autoset results etc looked like though. Conversely if you weren't having what appeared to be positional apnea before than it would seem unlikely to me that they are now an issue just because of changing machine type.

Thanks for your insightful post.  The Autoset is gone.  I used it 125 days.  Would have been less, but for COVID related delays for a hospital test.  Summary data for those 125 days:
Ave hours/night 5:30
Compliance 84%
AHI 6.09
Obstructive index 3.59
Hypo index 1.39
Clear Airway index 0.14
% CHR 2.49%

The last three nights on AutoSet:

Post Reply Post Reply
Those obstructive clusters look to be positional.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,059 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 152 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,336 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 954 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,196 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.