Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Shadowpup] ASV Therapy Thread
RE: First Nignt on AirCurve 10 ASV Disappointing
That makes it a bit more obvious. You were still having the odd positional apnea like periods but not as often because your EPAP was far higher (settings had Autoset maxed out).

For some reason your settings went from min EPAP of 16 down to 5 when changing to ASV and after reviewing your ASV data again it appears the majority of these apnea episodes occur when EPAP is lower than around 12.

Here is the thing about ASV, having a lower EPAP works very well for central apneas (which is the primary use for ASV treatment, although it doesnt appear to be a problem for you). It works decent for obstructive apneas bit if your EPAP is too low the apneas will still occur and then the machine has to try and fight to reopen your airway.

In short you want higher EPAP to help hold your airway open and negate the apneas before they even start to occur. I would increase min EPAP to 10 and then if that doesnt seem like quite enough try 12. Leave min PS at 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for your time and attention.  I made the suggested change to EPAP 10.  I thought a setting might have been causing the results to change so dramatically when I started the AirCurve ASV.  I am looking forward to tonight's therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully that helps a bit. These do occur in a positional apnea way so continuing to try different collars, pillows, sleep positions etc could help even more than a higher EPAP but most likely the reason your AHI increased was due to this change in setting as it was pretty drastic.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good news:   AHI - 0.00.  Bad news:  woke up this morning with all the gear in a pile next to me on the bed.  No recollection of waking or removing anything.  Kept it on for about an hour.  My wearable showed five hours of sleep including 58 minutes of deep sleep starting 15 0r 20 minutes after lights out.

This is progress.  Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  Why I would remove my mask?  That is a first for me.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You were having really bad flow limitations for some reason. Machine fought them at beginning then found a steady state but your flow limitations were still off the chart.

You were probably were having trouble breathing and then woke up and pulled mask off without knowing it to try and find relief.

The question is why, the pressure change shouldn't have done that, you used to use much higher pressure. Maybe vent was blocked, filter/inlet plugged or blocked, really bad congestion last night?

I have pulled my mask off a couple times without knowing it, once was because filter was plugging up, once I think due to bad congestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think a zoomed closeup showing about 3-minutes of that flow from 00:40 to 00:00 would give us a better idea of what is going on.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Vents - are clear.  Two on the elbow and a circular vent on the mask connector.  Filter and inlet are clean and unobstructed.  No congestion last night.  

Yesterday morning spent interacting with the medical system, but nothing in particular troubling.  No medical appointments today.  No evening yoga classes today.

Going to go again tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2020, 08:20 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think a zoomed closeup showing about 3-minutes of that flow from 00:40 to 00:00 would give us a better idea of what is going on.

Hope these are what you requested:

Post Reply Post Reply
Some odd breathing there, not sure exactly what would be the cause. I guess try again tonight and see what happens.

Are you willing to share information about the other health concerns going on? Not sure what it is but if it is at all related to breathing/sleep/heart than it could be helpful to know more.

I think we also need some information about who has been setting your machine settings and why they have been trying what they have. Was it your doctor that set autoset to 19 min? If so why was he trying such high pressure? Why did he prescribe ASV?

When you post your next graph replace the leak chart with minute ventilation, I am curious to see how it fluctuates.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2020, 09:57 PM)Geer1 Wrote: "Are you willing to share information about the other health concerns going on? Not sure what it is but if it is at all related to breathing/sleep/heart than it could be helpful to know more."
I volunteer for medical research.  Thirteen months ago brain MRI and PET scan discovered elevated beta-amyloid.  Seven months ago, a different research program discovered sleep apnea.  Two weeks ago an echo-cardiogram for the ejection fraction qualifier for the ASV revealed pulmonary hypertension.  I'm currently waiting for the call back on the pulmonary referral.  I am a very fit and active male in my seventies.  Walk about two hours per day and swim 1000 yards each day during the summer.   Married 40 years with two excellent sons and three grandsons.  Mother is 97, currently on hospice for Alzheimer's.  I manage her care in her home.

I think the DME set the ASV up.  Probably followed the sleep doctor's prescription.  The echo-cardiogram was late Friday afternoon.  The ASV was in my hands the next Friday.  It was already set up.  Since then, I have made two changes based on recommendations on this forum.  No evidence in the record that I can see that anyone else has adjusted my ASV.

Thanks so much for your time and help.  It is really appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 169 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,360 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,213 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.