Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Shagrined and humbled and grateful
Shagrined and humbled and grateful
Hi all..
I have been wrestling with OSA for a couple of years, attached is a brief history of my journey so far.

.doc   Dealing with Sleep Apnea Symptoms_June_2016.doc (Size: 29 KB / Downloads: 86)

This post is about my latest challenge: realizing I still have OSA although it seemed to me that up until this summer I was doing OK. I started to have chest pains again in the spring, fainted last month, visit to ER etc. Went the whole round of Cardio tests, nothing wrong with heart. So....untreated OSA! The last few weeks have been really bad, major fatigue in the mornings etc...Cardio doc and GP insist that although I may have some of my symptoms under control, I am still showing signs of OSA...and they are correct. The clincher for me was the app suggested by Ockrocket in this thread

app for snoring

Used it last night, it was a revelation, I was so shocked, but also relieved. I know I cannot use the machine again, and surgery and dental appliances are out for me, but now I can stop looking in all the wrong places for what ails me. I still have OSA and will just have to continue seeking an alternative fix..

I can't tell you how valuable this board is to me, I really appreciate all the different opinions and advice. Off to see the sleep doc again and an endocrinologist...who knows, lol....

Thanks

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Shagrined and humbled and grateful
This is the referenced post by Ockrocket:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid169963
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Chill...:-)

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
read your document... have you had your vitamin D levels checked? Low levels are correlated with apnea, and you live in the North. Once checked - if low - you can opt for some really large doses to get you quickly up to speed, or you can take the slower route and supplement 5k iu daily. I do this. It took me 1.5 yr to get from 22 to 55 and as long as i supplement i stay around 55. 60 would be optimal. ref range is 30-80
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there...I take Vit D, levels are good...I have had so much blood work its not funny...:-)
Thanks for the response....

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
That is some tale of woe! Have you had your adrenal function checked? My doc looked at me funny when I asked. I went to a Naturopath who got me the test. They were a bit depleted and some uh, whatever was in those pills, made some some improvements. Yours could be much worse, chronic stress is not good for them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there...
funny you should ask chill, seeing an adrenal doc at the end of month, getting a CT scan of the little things in September...my GP is really trying everything...May just have to surrender to the machine for a while, even though my wife is dreading it as it was bad every other time, but the snoring is killing me...
Have been using medical marijuana to help sleep for a few months, works really well, so may give the the machine another trial and maybe the marijuana will help adjustment
...oh man I can't believe I am writing this...lol
Dielaughing

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
Why does your wife dread the machine. Mine yells at me if I lay down for a minute without it.

Regarding the medical Marijuana/THC (a very Vancouver solution!) and its effects on sleep, this was posted by OrangeBear in a different thread, it may be of interest to you:

Quote:Studies on cannabis and sleep were conducted in the 1970’s

Roehrs and Roth, 2011: The affects of cannabis on sleep.

Low doses of THC mildly decreased REM sleep in both regular users and nonusers. Deep sleep was increased when cannabis was initially used but this effect disappeared after repeated use.

With high doses of THC (over 50 mg) REM sleep was decreased in both regular users and nonusers.

Total sleep time was not affected but deep sleep was decreased. When THC was stopped some rebound in REM sleep was found with reduced sleep time and increased time to fall asleep
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2016, 02:47 PM)chill Wrote: Why does your wife dread the machine. Mine yells at me if I lay down for a minute without it.
Because I do not react well to the machine, I sleep really poorly and become even more fatigued. My sleep doc thinks there may be some brain changes from childhood trauma, I have always slept poorly, so I will be talking with the doc about that next week.

Regarding the medical Marijuana/THC (a very Vancouver solution!) and its effects on sleep, this was posted by OrangeBear in a different thread, it may be of interest to you:

Quote:Studies on cannabis and sleep were conducted in the 1970’s

Roehrs and Roth, 2011: The affects of cannabis on sleep.

Low doses of THC mildly decreased REM sleep in both regular users and nonusers. Deep sleep was increased when cannabis was initially used but this effect disappeared after repeated use.

With high doses of THC (over 50 mg) REM sleep was decreased in both regular users and nonusers.

Total sleep time was not affected but deep sleep was decreased. When THC was stopped some rebound in REM sleep was found with reduced sleep time and increased time to fall asleep

For me the marijuana has more to do with relaxing and pain relief...I am trying two different oils, one is high in CBD the other is high TCHA Both oils have little or no psycho active actions, and both really work well. Will have to see what the future brings as usual...
Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply
Been back on the machine since the beginning of August. First few weeks were great and then slowly my health energy level has gone down, mornings are again horrible...and I cannot imagine driving.

In to see cardio doc one last time, nothing of note wrong with the heart. The electro cardio doc also added that although my resting heart rate can be low, (47) there is no guarantee that a pacemaker would give me more energy. He also said that I may have some issues with my autonomic and or para sympathetic nervous system...nothing to be done there...
So back to the beginning with more knowledge and experience.

Had a new sleep study a few weeks ago, wont get any results for a a few months, I am determined to stay on CPAP untill I see the sleep doc again, even if it kills me, which it might...Dielaughing

Having surgery on my feet in the next while, hope that then I can get back to walking and getting a little fitter...

Oh well, one breath at a time....

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any help grateful ! 39m brand new to CPAP RedArt 1 435 01-02-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Grateful for this board xntrick 0 551 08-06-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: xntrick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.