Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Shagrined and humbled and grateful
RE: Shagrined and humbled and grateful
Almost a success story Cool

Been trying the ASV for a while, again, getting more fatigued...as per the last few years, so....

I have been experimenting with a couple of breath/heart techniques, I have always believed I have odd breathing rhythms, but could never get any doctors interested in that path, so was interested in anything that might improve my situation.

After a couple of months of practice with these techniques I decided to bite the bullet and try my machine on straight CPAP, as that is what I have been titrated on, twice, with no sign of central apneas. I started on a low pressure, 6.5cm, and over a couple of weeks have increased the pressure to the titration pressure, 11cm.

The odd thing is that at no time while doing this have I had any daytime fatigue and I sleep really soundly.

Anyway, my AHI as of last night was 4.32, which is close to a miracle on straight CPAP for me. I feel great, better than at any time on CPAP/ASV. I am going to slowly increase the pressure to the sleep doctors recommended 12 to 13 cm and see what happens.

It has been a strange, long and winding road...but I am so glad I followed my intuition and researched breathing and heart rate variance issues.

Take care, and thanks for all the support over the years...

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
You never cease to amaze. Glad you're feeing better. Nothing like using a $3K machine to do the work of $400 one.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found success by going to straight pressure on my APAP as well. According to a study published on pubmed, 18% of people get 'microarousals' when pressure changes. This knocks a person from a deeper sleep stage to a shallower one. My AHI was great but I felt fatigued all day on APAP. The day I changed to straight pressure, the fog was finally lifted.

If your current AHI is mostly hypopneas, you can experiment with Cflex+ or straight bilevel to see if it helps.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2016, 09:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You never cease to amaze. Glad you're feeing better. Nothing like using a $3K machine to do the work of $400 one.
Well I followed advise and did what I did...luckily I did not pay
for a new machine...
If therapy keeps this good I may get a new machine...like

S

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2016, 09:16 PM)AshSF Wrote: I found success by going to straight pressure on my APAP as well. According to a study published on pubmed, 18% of people get 'microarousals' when pressure changes. This knocks a person from a deeper sleep stage to a shallower one. My AHI was great but I felt fatigued all day on APAP. The day I changed to straight pressure, the fog was finally lifted.

If your current AHI is mostly hypopneas, you can experiment with Cflex+ or straight bilevel to see if it helps.

Unfortunately the machine I have is rather basic when it comes to CPAP mode, will have to wait and see if buying a more up to date machine is in the cards, thanks for the reply...
Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2016, 06:40 PM)DariaVader Wrote: ... ref range is 30-80

Lab reference ranges can be equipment and/or lab specific. The reference lab checking mine gave theirs as 30 ng/mL - 100 ng/mL. (University Reference Labs, Columbus, OH.)
And be aware that sometimes, the reference ranges change, and you'll change classification based on the new standard. That happened to me with thyrotropin stimulating hormone (TSH).

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2016, 09:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You never cease to amaze. Glad you're feeing better. Nothing like using a $3K machine to do the work of $400 one.

Reflecting on Sleepriders comments; actually it is only because I was persuaded to use an ASV that I continued with CPAP therapy at all. The ASV got me to tolerate the air and made the initial therapy bearable.

From reading about PTSD and anxiety disorders in connection with sleep disordered breathing, all of which I suffer from, it was a revelation to me that my initial intuition
about my breathing patterns looks like being mostly correct.

My dear old ASV will always have a place of fondness in my heart, the air it gave me was the first taste of breathing freedom I had experienced in a long long time....

Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any help grateful ! 39m brand new to CPAP RedArt 1 434 01-02-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Grateful for this board xntrick 0 548 08-06-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: xntrick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.