Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Shaving
Vintage Gillette safety razors are selling for more than $100 on eBay. I don't think I would spend that much on a new one. What are some other recommendations from those that use safety razors?

So, to back track a bit. My Remington finally died. I pulled it apart and had to order a couple of AAA NiMH to replace. The batteries not only have solder tabs but are (were) flipping glued to the circuit board. While I was letting out an evil scientist maniacal laugh at Remington's attempt at engineered obsolescence, I decided I might get back into wet shaving and try my hand at a DE safety razor. Never used a safety razor before and I have no interest in using a straight at this point in time. Before electric, I've always used the crappy multi-blade razors with the fancy cool names/colors/designs and yes, even one that vibrated? I used it once and tossed it in the trash. For some reason, vibrating razor blades next to my carotid was not giving me the warm and fuzzies. They never gave me a good shave and the electric was worse but satisfied my lazy side.

I read that the Merkur is a good beginners razor.
[Image: merkur.jpg]

Not sure on the blades yet. Many say the Derby is a good starter.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with a Gillette double edge safety razor.

I have a Merkur. I was looking for an exact replacement for the one I got about 1960.
The blades I have are Feather. They seem thinner than I remember; and don't come in the nifty metal dispenser.
The shave is not as smooth as I recall; and takes several passes over an area to get a clean shave.
Post Reply Post Reply
For what it's worth, I use a Gillette Sensor with the double-blade cartridge. Not the disposable version, the handle uses replacement cartridges with the 'Lubrastrip'. It cuts a lot closer than the electrics I once used. I think I tried a triple blade cartridge, but decided they cost too much with no benefit. Oh yes, I use a shaving cream and brush my son gave me more than 25 years ago one Christmas. He didn't like me using an aerosol foam from a can...
Post Reply Post Reply

I use a Norelco and I also use a Gillette multi blade razor. I get a better shave with the Gillette but the Norelco is handier and gives a decent shave.

I make the 4 blade Gillette modules last several months by using a gel type of shaving cream that comes out of a tube. I believe it has a fair amount of silicone lubricant in it which seems to coat the razor blades and may help them to last longer. I also used a Gillette product that was similar to this gel.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 11:29 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I use a Norelco and I also use a Gillette multi blade razor. I get a better shave with the Gillette but the Norelco is handier and gives a decent shave.

I make the 4 blade Gillette modules last several months by using a gel type of shaving cream that comes out of a tube. I believe it has a fair amount of silicone lubricant in it which seems to coat the razor blades and may help them to last longer. I also used a Gillette product that was similar to this gel.

From your avatar, I assumed you never shaved...
[Image: bigeyes5.jpg?dateline=1388178336]

"The next time you shave, stand closer to the razor. What did you shine those shoes with? A Hershey Bar and a Brick? Get those thumbs along the seams of those trousers. Drop and give me 50!"
Post Reply Post Reply
I shave every other day, using razor blades from Aldi store, use twice and throw away, nice and cheap

Also, Gillette lemony shaving foam and Gillette aftershave and the job is done until the day after tomorrow

Post Reply Post Reply

I use the One Razor advertised by the Pawn Star guy. Not bad for the price.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read some reviews on those and people complained that they fall apart. Maybe they cranked the thing opened/closed with too much force, who knows. As you said, for the price I guess one can't complain too much.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
The price of replacement Gillette Sensor and Power blades finally turned me off in spite of the very good and comfortable shave quality. For half the price Schick offers their Hydro5 shaving system, and that's where I'm at now...

You can use any razor you want, but I remember the original single and double safety razors, and still have one around. Things have come a long way. It would be like using a cranking telephone instead of an iPhone, not to mention you have to become familiar with first-aid.
Post Reply Post Reply

[Image: 1216595393879.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply