Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Short Periods with high AHI and low Oxygen saturation
Wink 
Short Periods with high AHI and low Oxygen saturation
Hi,

usually I have a low AHI around 1, but somerimes there is a periode during the night with high AHI values and low oxygen saturation. Any idea what could be the cause of this phenomina?

I have enclosed the pictures oif the last night. Upto the event I slept fine, after the event I woke up and hardly slept the rest of the night.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards

Thomas
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Short Periods with high AHI and low Oxygen saturation
Clustered events are typically positional, and are often resolved with a soft cervical collar. There are other ways of maintaining the alignment of your airway (head/neck), but a comfortable fitting collar has proven to be very useful in preventing clusters of apnea, hypopnea and flow limits like you see here. Everything in your chart points to a sudden change in obstruction, and that is often as simple as your chin dropping to your chest.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2018, 08:15 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Clustered events are typically positional, and are often resolved with a soft cervical collar.  There are other ways of maintaining the alignment of your airway (head/neck), but a comfortable fitting collar has proven to be very useful in preventing clusters of apnea, hypopnea and flow limits like you see here.  Everything in your chart points to a sudden change in obstruction, and that is often as simple as your chin dropping to your chest.

Thanks for your answer!

Is that also true for sidesleepers?

Best regards

Thomas
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is especially easy for side-sleepers (like me) - it's easy to curl into a semi-fetal position, curling the head down and pulling the knees slightly up - this prevents you (me) from rolling onto your (my) back. I don't think I have ever in my memory slept willingly on my back - only when the sleep tech told me I had to.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your advice. I will look for a soft cervical collar!
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep in that fetal position described and wear a soft cervical collar. It sure works for me--virtually no leaks and great AHI results. I can't sleep on my back--get more mouth leaks for some reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
It has been my experience that you do not need a big collar, not one like you would wear after a car accident, just enough to keep your chin from tucking in too much.  If you get the collar to big, it can be uncomfortable to try to sleep in.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both of you. I will try the cervical collar. Tonight I had again clusters of events, but not so extrem as yesterday night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 292 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 110 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 132 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 181 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 174 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,625 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 235 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.