Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should CPAP foam be banned?
Question 
Should CPAP foam be banned?
With the class action lawsuit pending against Philips/Respironics. I can't help wonder if the foam that is used in CPAP machines for sound "proofing" can be moved to other parts of the device where there is virtually no chance for the patient (user) to inhale the foam gas or it's tiny particles. 

Additionally, I can't help wonder about foam in older CPAP machines where (at this time) they are not deemed problematic. It never occurred to me that CPAP machines had foam near or connected to the breathing chamber. 

Obviously, over time, the foam degrades. As such, what about those people who have 10, 15, or 20-year-old CPAP machines which are currently working and not part of the recall or from a different manufacturer. Are these machines safe? Have these machines been scrutinized by an independent third party lab? Or does the FDA and it's foreign equivalent take the word of the CPAP makers like they did with PR?

It seems to me the class action lawsuit is focussing solely on PR and their identified devices. What about the industry itself and their use of foam?  I believe the CPAP industry mirrors itself. It stands to reason that other makers use similar material.

Should there not be some forensic analysis to determine their health and safety over the long term?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should CPAP foam be banned?
If the major players in the CPAP market were smart they'd already be working on a foam-free solution, if nothing else just so they could advertise it as being "foam-free". It would be a major marketing advantage since everyone knows about foamgate by now.
Post Reply Post Reply
why not just use silicone bushings/washers to absorb vibrations like they do for hard drives

or put the pump in an enclosure that seals the entire air movement mechanics from the foam, so that if it does break down it stay contained and now blown into the lungs.

kinda wanna take my 11 apart and do this.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with the deteriorating urethane foam has affected exactly one manufacturer's line of products, and the replacement is currently a silicone foam. I expect all machines will be scrutinized for off-gassing and degradation that results in particles, but based on the current facts, I don't think a prescriptive regulatory ban of all foam is currently in order or desirable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are so many kinds of foam... hard foam, soft foam... open cell, closed cell... many different plastic formulations...

a total ban on any type of foam would be excessive... overkill... way too simplistic
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it was a fixed-speed blower, they could probably design an airbox that muted that particular frequency.
Not impossible to have an airbox that quiets a range, but it would be larger.
People want small, cheap and quiet.
A user-replaceable "sound foam" might have been a good choice. Someone could opt for no foam (just toss it away), or replace it annually (ie) per instructions, or ignore it all and have broken down foam (but it would be the end-user's fault and not the manufacturer).
Post Reply Post Reply
The Philips pump is already isolated from the chamber by elastomeric supports similar to those used in disc drives. The foam is primarily used to attenuate high frequencies generated by the high speed turbine in the pump. Anyone with acute hearing would be extremely bothered by those frequencies that many of us can no longer hear. Others sharing the living quarters would also be disturbed by the noise. Better foam choices will solve the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,603 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 223 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 515 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 251 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655
  F20 Touch (foam) cushion --Longer Use and Larger Leaks snorin2 18 1,981 09-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  ResMed AirFit F20 (not mem foam) ejbpesca 3 1,691 08-01-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Resmed Airtouch F20 foam jsleeps 2 616 05-26-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Homerec130

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.