Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I Increase Minimum Pressure?
Question 
Should I Increase Minimum Pressure?
54 Days in and I feel I'm really doing well.  I've been at 10.5 minimum for the last 2+ weeks, and I'm wondering if it is time for an increase.  I have noticed over the last week that my AHI is increasing almost daily and my 95% pressure is also increasing.  My hypopnea was the highest last night at 2.51 (at this pressure), but its been bouncing around over the last 2 weeks between .5 and 1.5.  Flow limitations had been getting consistently lower until this week where there is a higher bounce.  

I'm not doing anything differently this week than I have previously - possibly a little nasal stuffiness due to changing allergins in the air.

I would appreciate some guidance as to whether I should leave it alone or go higher.  

Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I Increase Minimum Pressure?
Your machine seems to be happy holding you just above 15 cm.  Your max setting, according to the information at the sidebar at left, is in auto 20 cm.  It leaves me wondering why you'd want to second-guess the machine.

Instead, I see clusters of events, almost always indicative of arousals or sleep position (chin tucked to the extent it is closing off your airway and fighting the machine's purpose, or you're on your back.  Or.....both.)  You might want to consider a cervical collar to help to prevent chin-tucking, if that's all this is about, or a way to prevent yourself from rolling onto your back.

Please wait for others to contribute their thoughts.  I'm new at this, quite possibly missing or misinterpreting something they'll find rather obvious.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamstation does not respond to the flow limitations you are having, and is allowing hypopnea to occur. You apparently need a higher pressure, and I think you would be much better treated by a Resmed Autoset or even a true bilevel.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it was my chart, I'd follow basic titration protocol and raise min pressure 1cm at a time till the obstructive and partial obstructive events subsided. This should do the job for you.
http://c398534.r34.cf1.rackcdn.com/DOCUM...Canada.pdf
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
As SR said you have a bunch of hypopneas, flow limitations, and RERAs. These are best treated with Pressure Support (PS) or the difference between EPAP and IPAP. You are using flex which is terribly inefficient at achieving this (unlike ResMed EPR) but you can try an EPR of 2 if you are not there already.

With your machine slowly and methodically increase your pressures to eliminate these.

As SR said long term look for a ResMed AutoSet or an auto BiLevel to best treat your apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
Diggers4pg, the Dreamstation, does not have EPR, and if you're using flex, set it at 1 or 2, not 3. I'd move to a minimum pressure of 12. and see what happens.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My bad, I meant to say flex =2 not EPR
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2019, 10:07 AM)bonjour Wrote: As SR said you have a bunch of hypopneas, flow limitations, and RERAs.  These are best treated with Pressure Support (PS) or the difference between EPAP and IPAP.  You are using flex which is terribly inefficient at achieving this (unlike ResMed EPR) but you can try an EPR of 2 if you are not there already.

With your machine slowly and methodically increase your pressures to eliminate these.

As SR said long term look for a ResMed AutoSet or an auto BiLevel to best treat your apnea

I understand hypopneas and FLs can be eliminated by higher pressure, but how about RERAs? How do RERAs have anything to with obstructive airway or lower pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
Since I didn't have any other replies last night that I saw before I went to bed, I took into mind what you said.  I have a small rectangular pillow that came with my bed set and just made sure I had it positioned under my chin whether I was sleeping on my side or on my back.  Granted, I didn't sleep fantastic because I was thinking about the pillow, but the results show that it definitely made a difference.  Please see below.

I am definitely going to look into a collar.  After reading the additional replies I will probably also change the flex and the min pressure.  I'm going to go by the baby food principle and change one thing at a time to see what works.

What I can't change at this point is my machine.  I'm on insurance and I'm stuck with this one for a while and will have to make the best of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RERAs are a series of Flow Limitations that end with an arrousal. That arrousal is bad.
Flow Limitations are bad.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Surprised [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI amfar33 2 102 04-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Predicting overnight minimum SP02 before falling asleep dfunk 0 111 04-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfunk
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 24 1,584 03-29-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 7 232 03-29-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Daveman
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 215 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 475 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 419 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.