Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I accept ResMed Elite or push for AutoSet?
RE: Should I accept ResMed Elite or push for AutoSet?
I have been lucky. I got an S9 Autoset from the DME without a fight. But I was prepared to fight.
I would personally accept nothing less than an S9 Autoset.
Repeat after me, if you can't dispense a Resmed S9 Autoset with an H5i humidifier I will have to find a DME who can.
As has already been stated they use the same billing code and the same payment to the DME, so the better more expensive machine means less profit to the DME.that is their problem it should not be yours.
Stand your ground even if you have to change DMEs. Also any doctor or dentist can write your prescription. If necessary shop the doctors you know, even your neighbors to get the prescription you want.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the feedback. It confirmed my gut feeling, which is that I need to push for the autoset. I really appreciate your comments. Thanks so much! I'm calling the Doctor's office on Monday. If I can't get him to change the script, I'll change DMEs and find one that will issue the autoset. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
I will add my 2 cents worth in stating you should push for the S9 Autoset. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I questioned my sleep technician prior to my titration about the different machines. I knew the respiratory therapist was coming to my room early the next morning with a machine and I knew from reading here I wanted an AutoSet so I didn't have to mess around down the road with getting a new RX for an auto machine and making trips to the DME for any tweaks in pressure settings which is in a neighboring town and I work in yet another neighboring town. Makes a lot of traveling in winter weather for me. She explained to me if your determined pressure is relatively low then generally auto machines are not prescribed and the auto machines are more expensive. She also explained that my DME was able to adjust things remotely if need be. I was prescribed pressure 10. When the respiratory therapist was explaining my machine he commented pressure 9 was the cut off and with my pressure need of 10 he said "you are right there". I think making a point I just made it in with an AutoSet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most insurance in the US follow Medicare's product codes. All CPAP and APAP have the same code. Bilevel have a different code and ASV (for central apnea treatment) have another code. So a CPAP and an APAP cost the same thing to the insurance. However, the supplier loses money if they have to provide you with an APAP so they tend to not want to sell you one.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2013, 01:32 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Most insurance in the US follow Medicare's product codes. All CPAP and APAP have the same code. Bilevel have a different code and ASV (for central apnea treatment) have another code. So a CPAP and an APAP cost the same thing to the insurance. However, the supplier loses money if they have to provide you with an APAP so they tend to not want to sell you one.

Exactly right, Paula! BCBS has already confirmed for me that the machines are billed by the CPAP code, so I know what the DME is up to. The easiest solution is for the Doc to write a new script, but if I get caught in the middle of their little war, I intend to make it clear to the RT at the DME that I know that the billing code is the same for the autoset as the Elite, and continue to push for the autoset.

Last night I was doing some research online to try to find reviews about some of the DMEs in another nearby city in case I have to change DMEs. I couldn't find anything on a lot of them, but the ones that did have reviews were NOT favorable. How do you find a reliable and cooperative DME? It seems like they are a rare commodity!

Post Reply Post Reply
Sadly, they are. Mostly it is word of mouth. There should be a CPAP group in your area. The sleep clinic may know of one. You can always ask the folks that attend that where they go and where they don't.

And if you do go, take a few of these along:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...dout-Flyer
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2013, 08:17 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Sadly, they are. Mostly it is word of mouth. There should be a CPAP group in your area. The sleep clinic may know of one. You can always ask the folks that attend that where they go and where they don't.

And if you do go, take a few of these along:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...dout-Flyer

Paula, I'm SO glad you mentioned that! I had forgotten that the tech at the first sleep study mentioned that they have a sleep apnea support group that meets once a month. I'll have to call the sleep lab on Monday and ask them for the contact info! Thanks for the reminder!!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 22 435 20 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 112 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 473 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 100 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,242 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.