Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I be concerned about last nights results?
Should I be concerned about last nights results?
Last night falls into the 2 weeks worth of data my sleep doc will be looking at when I see him later this month. Things have been going along fairly well with anywhere between 1-5 OA's, some hypopneas, and the odd CA events each night and a low AHI. I've even had several mornings where I did not wake up with a headache!

But this morning I awoke with a moderate headache and when I looked at my results I wasn't sure if I should be concerned and maybe show the results to the sleep doc as I believe he may be only looking at AHI.

Would be grateful for some input!

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I be concerned about last nights results?
Hi Cate. An AHI under 5 is regarded as treated, so your 1.39 is a very respectable score. Why would you not want to show that to your doctor? I did notice one of your apneas was pretty long at 57 seconds and a few others were in the 20s or 30s, but otherwise everything looks fine.

Generally speaking it's recommended we don't take a single night's results in isolation but look at overall trends. There can be lots of reasons a single night might have anomalous results. Likewise there can be lots of reasons you can have a headache and not necessarily associated with apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes it was the long apneas I was wondering about. 57, 28 seconds and so forth. I don't usually see apneas that long on my results and wondered if they corresponded to waking up with a moderate headache. Lately when I've woken with a headache which is now only about 50% of the time, they are pretty minor. Used to be before CPAP that they were bad and it's slowly gotten a lot better until last night although not as bad as pre-CPAP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Reply Post Reply
Cate, when you have long apneas like that it can help to zoom in on the flow rate wave form to see what actually happened. Sometimes it is not one long continuous breathing cessation, and is a period of irregular breathing that might not impact your oxygen levels much. Either way, the incidence of events is low and would be considered pretty good treatment for OSA.

You have some pretty good leaks towards the end of the night, and it appears air was escaping through your mouth (note the flat topped leak rate).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
cate,
I think your numbers look really good and they are nothing to worry about, but the fact that you still get headaches could be a concern. Not saying it is, but you may want to bring that up to your doctor.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can click on the event in the list or zoom in manually and look at the flow rate graph in detail. They're often not as bad as the number says. Sometimes, the number doesn't really make much sense anyway.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Here is an enlargement of 2 apneas, first 57 seconds, then second 30 seconds. So how do I know if it's good or bad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Another possibility is that of RERAs and other non "qualifying" apneas which SH can track as UF 1 and UF 2. On mornings when I have a little headache I sometimes notice lots of RERA and UF1 and 2 activity non of which are included in AHI.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like you struggled to breathe several times during the longer apnea. The little wiggle in the flow pattern and an attempt by the machine to switch from IPAP-EPR to IPAP pressure can be seen.

I wonder if you would do better with a little less EPR. You are set at 3 which means you have 6.5 cm-H2O holding your airway open between inhalation. That might not be enough. YMMV
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't help wondering when long apneas like these happen if using an Auto CPAP would help one recover from it faster? So far I'm slated for a fixed CPAP.

JustMongo: I changed the EPR setting to 2 and will see how it goes tonight

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 120 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 151 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 205 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 182 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 115 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 102 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,157 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.