Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I be satisfied?
Should I be satisfied?
Hi everyone, after a failed start on CPAP therapy a number of years ago, I've had better luck the second time around. This is partly due to more effort on my part, but also to better equipment (AirSense 10 and AirFit nasal pillows P10). Over the last three months, my AHI has averaged 2.83 (obstructive 1.35). What I wanted to ask was how satisfied should I be with that AHI? I have actually had a handful of nights where my AHI was below 1.0. Is there an obvious tweak in the pressure settings to help stay down there? I've attached a recent SleepyHead report below. Thanks for any insight!

i.imgur.com/N09DE0Ch.png
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I be satisfied?
I would be happy if I was sleeping well, all night. The number is not as important as the quality of sleep.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been doing this since 2008 and recently I get my AHI to less than 1 more nights than not. However an average AHI less than 3.0 is a good accomplishment, and will probably improve in time. Usually when obstructive apnea is still a feature in your sleep, slowly applying small increases in the minimum pressure is a good tactic. Give any change plenty of time to average out, and don't make large changes, or you'll miss the sweet spot. The obstructive apnea is often replace by CA and H resulting in what seems like no progress; however the CA seems more likely to drop out in time, and is not as disruptive when it is in isolated sporadic events.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums. Images should post for you after 4 posts.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi richcrab,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question, it sounds like you are doing pretty well.
It's good that you decided to restart your CPAP therapy, good luck to you as you continue it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Will try to slowly bump up the lower pressure (currently 11/15).
Post Reply Post Reply
Bumping the pressure from 11/15 to 12/15 did help produce a better AHI for the night - 1.68 with an OA of 0.46. Took a little adjustment and I swallowed air a couple times, but not too bad. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad that worked Rich. Again, give it time to average out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satisfied with sleep breathing treatment? What does your OSCAR data look like? TryingToGetItRight 2 524 10-04-2023, 11:59 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight
  2 month review. Should I be satisfied? nathanoj 15 2,880 10-14-2017, 05:04 PM
Last Post: nathanoj

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.