Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I believe the APAP readings?
Should I believe the APAP readings?
Hi, I've been a CPAP user for 30 years, but I'm struggling a fair bit at the moment, and I'd appreciate some advice, please.

I'm using a Resmed A10, with an F20 full face mask. As I have been having a lot of leaks for the last couple of years, I use it in fixed pressure mode, as it's easier to adjust the mask straps that way to suit the fixed pressure. I experiment with different pressures.

According to the machine, and OSCAR, most of my apneas are Central Apneas. I'm not sure why that would be?

Details Most Recent Last Week
AHI 9.08 5.62
Obstructive Index 0.66 0.54
Hypopnoea Index 0.66 1.04
Clear Airway Indx 7.11 3.75
RERA Index 0 0.2

I'm a classic case for OSA, as my BMI is 30, but I'm reasonably fit, apart from that. I don't have any issues like Parkinson's.

So, I was wondering whether the machine is accurately reporting central apneas, or whether these are perhaps obstructive events? I've recently been trying lower pressures (9 or 10, instead of 13), and that's had relatively little effect on the figures.

Also, looking at the report from last night (report attached) nearly the whole night's apneas happened over a single 30 minute period.

Sorry for such a long post, but I thought it best to try to supply plenty of info up-front. I'd be very grateful for any insights.

Hmm. I chose a file, and clicked 'add attachment'. Where am I going wrong?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I believe the APAP readings?
Instead of speculating, we prefer to see the data that your CPAP is generating. This requires displaying screenshots from the OSCAR Daily screen. Please download a free copy. Using OSCAR along with an SD card to import the data from your CPAP, will go a long way to see what is happening. The download links are in the name, as well as, a link at the top of every page here. Links in my signature will help in learning its use and how and what to post here.

Also, you need to update your profile. It is showing that you are using an S9.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was struggling to attach the PDF with the OSCAR report, but it was too big.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, I've got it now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Did you follow the instructions in my signature link, Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board?

Cliff Notes:
  • In the Full editor (Not the Quick Reply), Select Browse and navigate to the image you wish to use.
  • Select the file to import to your post and press the Open button.
  • Select the Add Attachment
  • Select Insert Into Post

EDIT: You did it!  Of course, it was while I was posting my response. . . Thinking-about
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's easier to use the attached (compressed) PDF than trying to piece together all those screenshots.

Attached Files
.pdf   CPAP report-compressed.pdf (Size: 173.27 KB / Downloads: 18)
Post Reply Post Reply
However, the PDF doesn't  provide the valuable statistical information to the left of the graphs.  Also, you can resize the graphs. Each graph can be resized by dragging its top or bottom border.  Another way, which will provide all graphs a uniform height, is in the Preferences ⇾ Appearance section of OSCAR.  I've listed the steps below.

To display a certain number of graphs, a quick rule-of-thumb is to determine how many graphs you wish to display on your screen.  I wouldn't use more than 7, so someone will be able to read it.  A monitor's resolution is listed as horizontal X vertical pixels (H x V), so you will use the last value (V) in its declaration for the following.  Depending on your monitor's vertical resolution, either add 2 for monitors 800 pixels and below, or 1 for resolutions above 800 pixels. (I don't know the exact breakpoint)  Now, divide the monitor's vertical resolution by this value.  The whole number result (everything to the left of the decimal point) will be a good starting point.  

Go to File ⇾ Preferences ⇾ Appearance ⇾ Graph Height and enter the calculated value.

Note: This action may result in the graph labels extending past the visible area, this will mean you will need to reduce the font size as well.

If you are wondering, the value you add to the resolution is to account for the title and border areas of the display.

An example :
Your screen resolution is 1024(h)x768(v), and you want to display 6 graphs.  The calculation would be 768/6+2(below 800) = 96.  You would enter the value of 96 in the Graph Height parameter box.

I hope this may help.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
You may be leaving out the last step...."Insert into Post". (Insert Image)

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2022, 09:45 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: However, the PDF doesn't  provide the valuable statistical information to the left of the graphs.  

Thank you. I've noted all that for the future.

Fortunately, the statistical info was included in the screenshots that I also posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can I just check whether I need to post any more information?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,226 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 153 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 135 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 226 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 927 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 645 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.