Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I bring CPAC to minor surgery
Should I bring CPAC to minor surgery
I'm having a minor hernia surgery (in & out same day) at the hospital next week. Should I bring my CPAC machine with me? Do they need it, or will they put it on me while I'm in recovery ?

My Surgeon did not cover this on the pre opt, maybe I should call him and the hospital. I read somewhere that the operating room recovery folks do not use CPACs but they just kinda keep a watch on you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I bring CPAC to minor surgery
I have had some minor surgeries recently and have never taken my CPAP with me. I have made sure that the anesthesiologist was aware that I have sleep apnea. No problem so far. The best person to answer that question for you is your anesthesiologist or your surgeon.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely yes
I was I the hospital in Nov 15 for a throat injury, because I did not have a CPAP and could not tell what positive airway pressure I could tolerate they put a hose down my throat attached me to a ventilator.

Horrible experience Sad

I was in the hospital for surgery on my right hand in July of 16.
I took my APAP with me and expressed my desire to use during the surgery, the reaction from the hospital was completely different. The anesthesiologist took a look at the settings my device and calibrated a set up his equipment and mask to conform to my APAP setup.

A big difference;no discussion of a tube down my throat, they all thanked me for bring the device. It makes there Job easier to have the info they gleam from see you machine even if they don't use it. Coffee
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Play safe and bring it. If you have a loved one with you, give it to them to hold on to in case you need it in the recovery room.

If it turns out that you don't need it, then all is well. The recovery room nurses told me that they wished more folk would just bring their machine and mask and make sure a loved one knows how to operate everything, just in case.

If you do bring it, leave the humidifier home, you won't need it for a short recovery stay.

Be sure that the surgeon and anesthesiologist know of your sleep apnea concerns. They normally keep tabs on your oxygen level, so you should be fine.

Good luck with your surgery. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would say yes, what does it hurt. I am having carpal tunnel surgery which is less then 1/2 hour and I was told to bring it.

Car54
Post Reply Post Reply
Bring it. I had minor surgery and used it in the recovery room. Even then I had a nurse all to myself who sat next to me and chanted "breathe, breathe, remember to breathe" when the low SPO2 monitor went off every few minutes. I don't think I was her favourite patient.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2016, 12:08 PM)chill Wrote: Bring it. I had minor surgery and used it in the recovery room. Even then I had a nurse all to myself who sat next to me and chanted "breathe, breathe, remember to breathe" when the low SPO2 monitor went off every few minutes. I don't think I was her favourite patient.

i had cataract surgery and did NOT bring the machine. i told all the doctors. they were a little concerned but all was fine….. no incidents at all.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all the posts. I surmise I just unhook the entire humidifier section and then hook the hose to the actual unit.

And then I should go into setup and turn off the humidifier ?

(I think mine currently is set to classic humidifier)
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, just turn humidifier setting to off. and unhook humidifier section. Did you get a side panel with your system. It should go on the side of cpap after you disconnect humidifier.
You may have to order one, but in a pinch, can probably do without.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi R_W_B,
I would bring it to be on the safe side. If you disconnect your humidifier, don't forget to put the side panel on your machine, hopefully you got one of those.
Good luck with your surgery.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 4 62 8 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  CPAC DOESNT SEEM TO HELP. Bobbyc 8 338 03-24-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,229 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 255 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,955 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 708 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,364 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.