Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I buy the ResMed AirMini?
Should I buy the ResMed AirMini?
Hello,

I currently have the ResMed AirSense 10.  My insurance covered it, and I bought it within the last year or two, so I doubt my insurance would cover another CPAP so quickly, or would they since the AirMini is designed for travel use?  I fly out of town approximately once per month (12 trips per year, maybe more some years).  I like that it says the AirMini does not require any water at all for the humidification and uses "waterless humidification" which sounds neat.  When I fly out of town, it's always a hassle trying to get distilled water, and then it's a gallon so it seems like a waste for 2-4 nights.  Does anybody here own the AirMini from ResMed, and do you think I should get it?  What do you like and dislike about it?  Does it cause dry throat or does the humidification work?  And would it be awkward to hook up the AirMini on a red eye flight to get some sleep?  I assume you can just plug it into one of the in-seat outlets on planes that offer a power outlet in the seat?  It says "FAA Approved" so I assume I can actually plug it in for use during flight?  Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I buy the ResMed AirMini?
There's a post regarding the AirMini in the Product Review Forums that you may want to check out if you haven't seen it yet...

I don't own one so can't personally comment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello dk2011,

There are numerous post on the mini that people complain there very noisy. Just do a search and you will probably find most people revert back to taking there A10 with them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always travel with my AirMini! I initially got it after an international trip when I ran into a problem carrying on my Airsense 10 Autoset for Her, properly labeled as a medical device, in its case. Inter-European flight did not allow third bag. I came home, bought the AirMini, which I carry in a soft-side lunchbox that fits in either my backpack or large purse (whichever I am carrying that trip). I also take it on weekend road trips as it's easier to just grab and go (it's always packed, including international adapter), than to pack up my home machine.

All that said, yes, it is noisier than my home machine. However, I hacked the hose when I got it to be able to use my Bleep mask, which had the unexpected side effect of significantly reducing the noise level. My hack precludes the use of the humidifier cartridge but I find the smaller size a reasonable tradeoff for the lack of humidification. And yes, I do use the humidifier at home. Pre-pandemic, we were traveling internationally about 3 times a year, ~3+ weeks each time, with several weekend trips a year to visit family. We started traveling again August. So my AirMini has gotten quite a bit of use and overall I am happy with it. I particularly like that I can set it up exactly like my home machine.

I do have to add, it is nice to get home to my completely silent machine. But overall, I find it well worth the $$. YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't enjoy using the AirMini at all.  It only comes with me now on airplane trips, typically short work trips.  It's noisy, but it gets the job done when I need to travel light for a road trip.  For road trips I'll take the Airsense 10 or 11 every time instead.

Prior to the Airmini I used the Philips DreamStation Go; the DSG was also noisy, the AirMini is louder and the noise is enhanced by the design and location of the short tubing.  The DSG was also more space efficient in my opinion than the AirMini.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have any experience with the AirMini, but for me, so far I don't see the need for it. It's expensive and the sketchy humidification process doesn't interest me.
I just pack up my AS 10 in its travel bag and off I go.

BTW, you do not have to stress over finding distilled water at your destination. You can use any clean, drinkable water that's available. The only reason the manufacturers recommend distilled is for ease of cleaning the reservoir. You may have to pay closer attention to any mineral buildup there if you don't use distilled water.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,290 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 155 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 926 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree
  Connect Medistrom Pilot 12 Plus to Airsense 11 and Airmini? ICS55 2 308 02-18-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: ICS55
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 360 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 924 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 251 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.