Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I buy through the DME, Hospital or Online?
RE: Should I buy through the DME, Hospital or Online?
I fired Apria and I enjoyed every second of doing that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I fired Apria and I enjoyed every second of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ailu,
I used to have BCBS and when I lived in OK and my S8 broke down they told me they had one place in Tulsa that was in our network.
Another work associate said that was bunk, as she had recently bought from a different outfit in town and they were 1/2 the price.
In order to have my new machine count against my deductible, I bought it at approximately 20% more than I could have on line.
So whoever said above that BCBS person you talked to might have been too lazy to give you a better answer, that sounds like my experience also, and likely correct.
Good luck,
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
It's obviously different in the US to what it is in Canada, but I called my insurance company and asked if supplies could be bought online as that is where I have found the best prices, and the reply was that that was fine as long as the bill clearly stated my name and address. So after my initial purchase of my machine package in November I will not buy anything further at the DME. I will then buy everything online.

Not sure if this is helpful to you or not. Best of luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Cate, I called BS and they told me I could absolutely not order from anyone else other than their approved DMEs.

Fortunately for me, the nearby Hospital runs it's own DME, and they are contracted with BS! And they have been top-notch. Otherwise, my only other choice would have been Apria. UGH!

(09-25-2015, 10:14 AM)cate1898 Wrote: It's obviously different in the US to what it is in Canada, but I called my insurance company and asked if supplies could be bought online as that is where I have found the best prices, and the reply was that that was fine as long as the bill clearly stated my name and address. So after my initial purchase of my machine package in November I will not buy anything further at the DME. I will then buy everything online.

Not sure if this is helpful to you or not. Best of luck to you.

-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
I am with Humana, have a local DME that isn't bad, but the individual I have to deal with is one who made me switch insurance...low and behold, she lost her job at the DME I loved and is now with my new DME! I think she believes I had something to do with her losing her job. NOT! Oh-jeez She 'lost' my docs fax and more. The nurse called after re-faxing, to make sure they got it.

Anyway, I contacted Humana and asked about buying online, out of network...no problem, but I will have to do 30%, not the 20% in regard to my BIPAP replacement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Prior to the Affordable Care Act, all cpap necessities were covered by insurance, so I put up with Apria. After the ACA, I had a high deductible plan and had to cover the first $1,800, then 80/20 for another $1,800. So went online using the HSA account for supplies like masks and filters, and the private market for cpap machines. much cheaper, no hassle--$200 for a low hour resmed s9 adapt 36037 was cheaper than insurance and the hassle. for half the price of a sleep study I have two really good machines. if i run through my insurance deductible limits on other matters, I'll be sure to go back to the doctor for a sleep study to check on these central apneas now that I have switched from an S9 autoset to an ASV model. I guess i can get credit towards the deductible for the masks and filters, but probably not for the private purchase machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in the process of looking at an online supplier after dealing with my DME for what I hope will be the last time. I purchased a Resmed Airsense 10. Their charge for the machine was about what I would pay online.

Then they charged me separately for the integrated humidifier($280), filter ($10), and off-brand air tube ($31). All of these things are included when you purchase online--or at least that's how it's advertised. They did the same with the mask. Charged me for the full DreamWear mask kit at the online price, removed the headgear and extra pillows (it comes with 4), and sold me the headgear and single pillow separately--again at the price per each that I'm seeing online.

I'm in an 80/20 plan, so the privilege of buying from the local DME cost me about $80 more than I would have paid online, as near as I can calculate.

The benefit of buying local is that I received my machine more quickly, and had "professional" assistance with the setup and mask fit (the poor girl had no idea how to answer most of my questions or how to fit the DreamWear mask).

I'm more and more determined to take control of my own destiny when it comes to CPAP equipment and supplies. Nobody else is looking out for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
the only benefit to buying from an in-network provider when you are on an 80/20 is meeting your deductible and having no further out of pocket costs until the next year. CPAP stuff might get you close, depending on the deductible... and then if anything else comes up you are covered.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone interested in starting an online self-help video chat for people with SA/UARS? JamesD0079 0 346 10-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 819 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  best canadian online cpap stores? is cpap outlet legit ? michelbeaini 1 1,190 07-03-2023, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Online sleep physicians who use OSCAR ? stevelk9999 19 1,731 06-13-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,985 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Diagnosis] Best Sleep Hospital or Clinic for Troubleshooting PAP Perchance2Dream 0 409 05-09-2023, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Perchance2Dream
  Need help: stinky air from CPAP after hospital stay SakimaStorm 4 578 01-26-2023, 07:49 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.