Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I change my pressure settings?
RE: Should I change my pressure settings?
(02-18-2016, 07:54 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Welcome to the forum Rousseau21! I am sure in time you will tweak your settings so that you are completely comfortable and getting maximum benefit from your CPAP therapy. You already have an awesome AHI, lucky you!

Thank you cate1898 for your warm welcoming!

I know I'm really lucky to have that AHI but like I said to others my goal is to see the benefits in my life soon Shy

Have a nice day!

Post Reply Post Reply
So this is what I would do and what I think.
My guess is that something is not letting you get comfortable. Now this may just be something you need to get used to, or it may be something to adjust. What I do is adjust everything I can to get the best sleep I can and then get used to it. Adjusting everything of course does not mean to adjust everything at the same time. Sometimes when I got one setting right and then changed something else, the first "good" setting needed to be changed again. These things tend to interact.

Make sure you know all the settings you can adjust and really focus on how you feel when you adjust them. What your feeling with CPAP tends to get mixed up with things that you felt before CPAP, like pressure before was an indication of nasal congestion, now pressure is a good thing.

Make little changes. If it's worse, try changing it the other direction.

It looks to be a good idea to up the starting pressure. If you have a problem starting at a higher pressure consider using the ramp feature so you don't get a big jump right at the start. I have always used ramp to ease into pressure. An average time to sleep onset is 22 minutes, keep that in mind for the ramp time.

How are you doing with the hose placement? do you have a hose hanger system? I found it very helpful to not get tangled up in the hose.

Don't assume that what you thought you liked before CPAP will be the same with CPAP. I thought I liked humidity like from a hot shower, with CPAP I have it set to off, at 63 degrees (F) Smile and even a full tank of water for passive is too much for me. A dry tank is not enough, so I fold a paper towel up and soak it, then place it in the dry tank. For me this is perfect.

Some people can fall asleep anywhere and under any conditions, for me I tend to be very sensitive to my sleeping conditions. I can sleep, but to sleep well takes some adjusting things.

Good luck and keep at it
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't been cpaping long, but I'm finding the increased pressure changes creates a problem or near or complete waking. The first thing to try is to raise your lower pressure. Just 1 cm per week though. I found that if you start with a higher pressure, then your high pressure may not need to be so high. Do that first before messing with the high end, IMHO. Another option, of course, is to use a straight pressure, since, in your case, yours is high the whole time you are sleeping it appears. Mine is only high during REM and near REM, so our needs are different.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2016, 03:00 PM)PoolQ Wrote: So this is what I would do and what I think.
My guess is that something is not letting you get comfortable. Now this may just be something you need to get used to, or it may be something to adjust. What I do is adjust everything I can to get the best sleep I can and then get used to it. Adjusting everything of course does not mean to adjust everything at the same time. Sometimes when I got one setting right and then changed something else, the first "good" setting needed to be changed again. These things tend to interact.

Make sure you know all the settings you can adjust and really focus on how you feel when you adjust them. What your feeling with CPAP tends to get mixed up with things that you felt before CPAP, like pressure before was an indication of nasal congestion, now pressure is a good thing.

Make little changes. If it's worse, try changing it the other direction.

It looks to be a good idea to up the starting pressure. If you have a problem starting at a higher pressure consider using the ramp feature so you don't get a big jump right at the start. I have always used ramp to ease into pressure. An average time to sleep onset is 22 minutes, keep that in mind for the ramp time.

How are you doing with the hose placement? do you have a hose hanger system? I found it very helpful to not get tangled up in the hose.

Don't assume that what you thought you liked before CPAP will be the same with CPAP. I thought I liked humidity like from a hot shower, with CPAP I have it set to off, at 63 degrees (F) Smile and even a full tank of water for passive is too much for me. A dry tank is not enough, so I fold a paper towel up and soak it, then place it in the dry tank. For me this is perfect.

Some people can fall asleep anywhere and under any conditions, for me I tend to be very sensitive to my sleeping conditions. I can sleep, but to sleep well takes some adjusting things.

Good luck and keep at it

I really appreciate your feedback PoolQ!

I change the range from 7 to 14 to 9 to 15 now with the authorization of my therapist.

Since I make those change my AHI is less than ever like

The problem is I'm starting a bad cold ... Oh-jeez

I couch in my mask ans I have a running nose. Also my nose start to be really irritated even if I have the setting of my humidifier high enough I think. I use a gel to hydrate my nose before I go to sleep and when I got up in the morning.

Yes I have a hose hanger but I change is location last night for the good Big Grin

Hopefully my cold will go away and I will see the benefits.

Tomorrow I will get my new machine and mask because I was on loaners for a month.

Sleep-well

(02-18-2016, 03:57 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I haven't been cpaping long, but I'm finding the increased pressure changes creates a problem or near or complete waking. The first thing to try is to raise your lower pressure. Just 1 cm per week though. I found that if you start with a higher pressure, then your high pressure may not need to be so high. Do that first before messing with the high end, IMHO. Another option, of course, is to use a straight pressure, since, in your case, yours is high the whole time you are sleeping it appears. Mine is only high during REM and near REM, so our needs are different.

Thank you Mosquitobait for your feedback!

I change the range from 7 to 14 to 9 to 15 now with the authorization of my therapist.

Since I make those change my AHI is less than ever like

More to come !

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 42 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,714 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,578 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 450 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.