Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One Week In...
One Week In...
Hi Everyone.  I am a new user.  I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea following a home sleep study that I participated in.

Last Friday, I received my CPAP machine and supplies from the DME.  I am using the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset unit.  After a week of using the machine, I am starting to get a little comfortable with it and develop a nighttime routine that works for me.

In the last week, I had three nights that I slept through the night with the CPAP engaged for the full night.  The other nights had their issues, such as one night with mask seal issues, one night with issues of water in the tubing making loud noises, and one night where my brain wouldn't shut off (not CPAP-related for the most part lol).

A week in, here are some thoughts and questions.
  • I was really hoping that I would start immediately feeling refreshed upon awaking when using the CPAP machine, but that hasn't happened yet.
  • I think I'm feeling more alert and engaged throughout the day compared to before using CPAP, but it could just be a psychological benefit (hopefully not).
  • I am waking up feeling slightly congested and with a dry mouth and throat.  I tried one night to increase the humidity (it was at 4, and I increased it to 7), but that night water pooled in the tube which caused loud noises causing me to wake up.  I have the temperature set at 80F.  If anyone has suggestions on what to do with that, I'd appreciate it.

I got a follow up call from the DME last night, and the rep was so helpful and supportive, encouraging me to keep with it.  I am leaving for a conference tomorrow and had not planned on bringing the unit until she called.  I'm encouraged to bring it with me now!

I may not have gotten the results I was looking for just yet, but am encouraged by how it's progressed so far.

Thanks for any insight that you can provide.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: One Week In...
I could take some guesses but you have not posted any data.

Please download sleepyhead organize your data (very important) and post thru a service like IMGUR.com  (see my thread) and we will be able to answer and likely improve your therapy.
see my signature for help

Are you using the heated tube?  If not one may help.  A "Hose Buddy" a simple device to hold the hose so it goes up from the pap machine allowing the water to drain back into the humidifier

The dry mouth may indicate mouth breathing but the leak rate chart will help with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, jorourke, sounds like you are off to a better start than many noobies.
It takes time to work past the sleep debt; so the feeling of refreshed may come slowly.
You've set up a routine that works for you; and that's important.
I fall asleep quickly when I mask up. I'm like Pavlov's dog.

I recall others having trouble with water in the hose for the 10 series machine.
Might be a little trickier to adjust.

I would add to be sure not to overfill the water tank as that can result in picking up too much water.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. Another thing you will want as you get into this is the clinician setup manual for your machine. You can access it here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

The manual for your machine is only available by email but you will receive it very quickly. Scroll down to section 3 and you will find it. It will provide the information you need to access and change settings to optimize your therapy.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jorourke,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great that you are going to take your CPAP machine with you on your trip so you can continue treating your sleep apnea.
I wish you good luck on your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto the others.

The manual for my CPAP says to keep the machine at a lower level than my pillow... which I think is to prevent the rainout (water coming up the tube and mask). So make sure your machine is lower than your head.

Welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 103 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 484 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 202 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 222 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  My Mother did an In-Lab sleep study last week. Phaleronic 4 503 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First week CPAP. Had such high hopes...advice tuumi2000 2 563 09-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: tuumi2000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.