Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I increase EPAP? And What's a Reasonable Max EPAP setting on ResMed ASV?
Should I increase EPAP? And What's a Reasonable Max EPAP setting on ResMed ASV?
I was wrestling with the idea of increasing my EPAP Max pressure to try to get my AHI's consistently below 5.0. But my problem is, if my therapy pressure goes above 20 cmH2O I have a lot of aerophagia problems. And I can't keep my mask from blowing out a substantial leak. Either way, over 20 is a problem for me.

So whenever I change my settings, I tend to keep my Max EPAP + Max PS = 20.

I had Max EPAP set to 10 and Max PS set to 10 for a while and my AHI's were Min 4.96, Max 6.92, Average 5.67.
Then with Max EPAP set to 9 and Max PS set to 11 my AHI's were Min 5.13, Max 7.86, Average 6.46.

So it appears that with a change of only 1 cmH2O, my Max and Average AHI's were roughly worse by "1" with the lower EPAP.
I can't say that I noticed any comfort/discomfort differences with the two settings, but in keeping with my rule of overall max of 20 cmH2O, I was wondering where I might get the best therapy versus diminishing returns.

Obviously EPAP Max 10 & PS Max 10 provided better results here. Should I just play around with progressively higher EPAP Max / Lower PS Max settings until I hit my "magic" numbers? Maybe go to EPAP 11 and PS 9 (or even 12/8) and see if it beats the 10/10 historical AHI numbers? I'm not sure what settings sound reasonable... Or not.

Sample data:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=15188]
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I increase EPAP? And What's a Reasonable Max EPAP setting on ResMed ASV?
I haven't modified my settings a lot since starting ASV, but I did adjust things up recently on EPAP Max and a shift of PS upward on both Min and Max. For me, EPAP seems to make pressure adjustments that I notice, whereas PS adjustments aren't as noticeable. FWIW EPAP is designed to be the throat air splint as I understand it, maybe that's why I notice it more. And by way of clarity, when I say noticeable, I mean I can feel it.

I could be wrong, but it sounds right in what I experience, PS of any machine chosen setting is of shorter duration as compared to EPAP which seems to entail a longer time. If actually true, you may wish to do the bump/edit on PS.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I increase EPAP? And What's a Reasonable Max EPAP setting on ResMed ASV?
BTW my EPAP Min and Max are 9-15 and PS Min and Max are 4-15
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave.

I really appreciate the insight into your experience and machine settings. Do you ever have any problems with aerophagia or your mask leaking? That really seems to be a problem for me which limits how I set up the machine. I know we're only talking another 5 cm, but it really is problematic for me. I can only hope I can overcome those issues over time.

I have finally been putting together in my mind that on our ASV machines, EPAP treats OSA's and PS treats CA's. I guess I kind of already knew this after looking at my SH / OSCAR charts for a year. I suppose I have to figure out where the greater need lies and play whack-a-mole with my max settings.

I wish ResMed had a 5th setting to simply just cap therapy pressure. Then I could increase both EPAP and PS Max settings and still cap it at 20 cm. That would be ideal. But until that day, I'll just see what I can do.

My original prescription was EPAP 4 to 8 and PS 4 to15. I know that was not effective. And I don't get any support from those idiots anyway. So thank you Dave for sharing your experience. I think I'll bump up the EPAP Min and Max by 2 cm each and go for a 2-week test.

BTW... Sep 12 will be my one-year anniversary of being a hose-head. I don't see any convenient place on my machine to place the birthday candle.  Oh-jeez
RayBee

~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Ray, I have mentioned before that your UA and H events occur in clusters and force your pressure higher. You tried a soft cervical collar that did not fit correctly. I'd like you to look through this thread by another ASV user who is new to the forum and found the right collar. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rve-10-asv
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2019, 09:46 AM)RayBee Wrote: Thanks Dave.

I really appreciate the insight into your experience and machine settings. Do you ever have any problems with aerophagia or your mask leaking? That really seems to be a problem for me which limits how I set up the machine. I know we're only talking another 5 cm, but it really is problematic for me. I can only hope I can overcome those issues over time.

aerophagia was an issue but I adjusted and it's not an issue now, mask leaks still exist sometimes especially with fluctuating weight, it's nowhere near as bad as at the start however

I have finally been putting together in my mind that on our ASV machines, EPAP treats OSA's and PS treats CA's. I guess I kind of already knew this after looking at my SH / OSCAR charts for a year. I suppose I have to figure out where the greater need lies and play whack-a-mole with my max settings.

for myself, I adjusted to get the least of all events, I only adjusted EPAP Min at the beginning and having bumped up both EPAP Max and the whole PS range up a bit here recently

I wish ResMed had a 5th setting to simply just cap therapy pressure. Then I could increase both EPAP and PS Max settings and still cap it at 20 cm. That would be ideal. But until that day, I'll just see what I can do.

My original prescription was EPAP 4 to 8 and PS 4 to15. I know that was not effective. And I don't get any support from those idiots anyway. So thank you Dave for sharing your experience. I think I'll bump up the EPAP Min and Max by 2 cm each and go for a 2-week test.

let us idiots here support you instead...less expensive and nicer people to boot...post results on self test

BTW... Sep 12 will be my one-year anniversary of being a hose-head. I don't see any convenient place on my machine to place the birthday candle.  Oh-jeez

side of the power button works OK
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2019, 01:58 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Ray, I have mentioned before that your UA and H events occur in clusters and force your pressure higher.  You tried a soft cervical collar that did not fit correctly.  I'd like you to look through this thread by another ASV user who is new to the forum and found the right collar.  http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rve-10-asv

Thanks for directing me to this thread. Very good read and very good information. I do find a lot of similarities between us. Good call.

I'll be looking into some of the solutions that worked for Idanielle01 in about a week or two. Have some life-gets-in-the-way family issues I need to concentrate on in the mean time.

Thanks
RayBee

~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2019, 03:54 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 09:46 AM)RayBee Wrote: Thanks Dave.

aerophagia was an issue but I adjusted and it's not an issue now, mask leaks still exist sometimes especially with fluctuating weight, it's nowhere near as bad as at the start however

I can only hope these things get better with time. I'm happy to hear that they did for you - it's encouraging news.

for myself, I adjusted to get the least of all events, I only adjusted EPAP Min at the beginning and having bumped up both EPAP Max and the whole PS range up a bit here recently

Great info. I'm still learning. I'm kind of a data junkie, so I love analyzing my OSCAR data.

let us idiots here support you instead...less expensive and nicer people to boot...post results on self test

If you guys are idiots, I guess I'd be comfortable calling this my second home. Laugh-a-lot  Will post when I can.

side of the power button works OK

Perturbed Awe man...  Anybody know how to get candle wax off my PAP machine and un-stick the power button???

Thanks  for the info Dave. Much appreciated. I think you and I are a lot alike. Kinda scary.
RayBee

~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Surprised [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI amfar33 2 104 04-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 138 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 278 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Trigger Setting Switch - Aircurve 10 MrIvanDrago 4 155 04-09-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CPAP to ASV setting translation? Moemah123 2 522 04-03-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Yujiyun
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 24 1,588 03-29-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 7 234 03-29-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Daveman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.