Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I push Doc to order a Bipap machine?
Should I push Doc to order a Bipap machine?
The main reason I hate my current Auto Cpap Phillips respironics dream station was that I had a difficult time exhaling. The provider company that I got this from (Apria health care) just mailed all this stuff out in a box to my front door and it was only recently that I figured out how to get into the clinician settings to enable the Flex setting. Enabling this 'flex' feature made the machine more tolerable. Nobody in Apria health care was helpful at all. They barely spoke English and have refused to help.  I have the Cflex setting set to 3 which is the most relief so I can exhale easier. I was told that by enabling the AFlex setting would help even further?

Should I push my physician to order a true Bipap machine for me. Would I even enjoy it better? How much more relief would I get if I indeed get a true BiPap machine? Would there even be somebody to set it up? It appears that the Dream Station AutoBiPap is about 3-4 times more money. Is it worth it?  Thanks --Greg--
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I push Doc to order a Bipap machine?
Welcome to Apnea Board. Someone should be along to help you shortly.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome,

IMO the true BPAP can assist with further reduction on exhale pressure. The catch is with a setting you have listed as 12 likely would not be approved via your insurance as required. I think the pressure threshold is typically over 15 for consideration.

You may want to post Sleepyhead charts so knowledgeable guys n gals could suggest some optimized settings. That is all free.

Coffee

PS I thought the same as you, it was hard to breathe out when I first started. My first CPAP was set to straight 18, no EPR etc. I failed it's compliance due to that in part, and in part because it was later revealed I have mixed apnea.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With a CPAP pressure of 12 you don't fall into the kinds of pressure that would normally require a bilevel device. They are more expensive and the insurance is going to fight you to ensure it is "medically necessary" Making the patient cannot tolerate CPAP pressure argument is going to be really hard, and it's the only one you have since there is no qualifying medical condition.

My recommendation is to look into swapping your Philips Dreamstation Auto CPAP for a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. The Resmed is much more like a bilevel, although it is limited to 3-cm of pressure relief. The expiratory pressure relief (EPR) on the Resmed is a true bilevel implementation taht trigger inhale pressure and cycles exhale pressure based on your respiratory effort. The Philips only offers up to 2-cm of pressure relief and it triggers and cycles on a predictive algorithm that is flow-based. In other words the pressure relief is based on the expiratory flow rate you create, while the Resmed consistently provides the set amount of pressure relief.

You can try to get the bilevel, but it is a difficult matter to qualify for insurance. Read and understand Table 1 requirements for qualifying for an E0470 Bilevel device on page 4 of this link. https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Educati...905064.pdf This is the criteria most insurance uses for obtaining a bilevel device.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe putting your machine into auto mode will help with a starting pressure of 8 that will make your initial pressure much lower and the machine will only go to the higher pressures when needed
Post Reply Post Reply
You have an auto-machine and have a choice of using straight pressure (12) or auto pressure (say 6-13). If you want to continue with the 12, my suggestion is to use the ramp. If you normally fall asleep in 15 minutes, set it for 25-30. Another option is to set your pressure at 9 and get used to that, then up it to 9.5 after a few days, on up to 12.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Degressive Order of Apnea? MaskedOne 6 349 01-26-2024, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,196 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going. marvin2023 2 552 10-10-2023, 07:26 PM
Last Post: marvin2023
Sad [Treatment] Need help/advise after changing BiPAP Machine dnar82 6 713 09-29-2023, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Can I use Bipap Machine for Cpap Julia63 8 690 09-21-2023, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.