Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I stay with Resmed machine or change brand?
Should I stay with Resmed machine or change brand?
I wrote about noises that started in my Resmed machine as described  IN THIS DISCUSSION.

I also spoke about whether to repair or buy new to resolve the annoying noise HERE.

Today I spoke with my insurance company representative and they alluded that they will cover a new machine but not the existing for any repairs.  I would need to do the whole deductible BS and then it would be mine after 10 months.   I am OK with that policy as I have a $1,000 delectable and then 80/ 20 after that ....but the 20% would not kick in after 10 months of $70 per.    Essentially, I pay 70 for 10 months towards my deductible and then its mine (again.)

I have learned a LOT from y'all here. Invaluable in my understanding of it all.     My question now is folks' opinions as to brand of machine.    Should I stick with Resmed Airsense 10?  I am not happy it is having issues requiring replacement, I question the overall quality of the Resmed having problems in such a short time!  I will be writing to company to express my immense dissatisfaction.    But I do like that fact that I am used to the workings and interface of the Airsense-  it is easy to manage, adjust and understand. 

Despite the poor quality of my particular unit, is it a rarity or is this model problematic?      Should I stick with the same brand and model or should I change horses to another one?  I am in no rush to obtain a new one right away as the noisy one I currently use still functions (it is just noisy.)   I will be discussing option further with my DME provider to get their opinion.  By virtue of being a hosehead and listening in here on the conversations I am better able to talk options with them on alternate products.

I must add:  I want a machine that has APAP capabilities.

What do you think?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I stay with Resmed machine or change brand?
If I read your post correctly, You will pay $700 to 1000 and the machine is yours. You do know that you can buy one out right for $655?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, now that I am more learned, I might consider going rogue and buying my own. I would probably still need to purchase DME service on an hourly rate to do the full set-up as I do not know ow to do that. The $700 out of pocket going with DME provider would be an out-of -the-box full set up with mask (pillows) and hear gear... the same as when I got my first machine 3 years ago. BTW- it would be $700 as thee is no 80/20 for the machine, but it would go toward my yearly deductible. If I opted this route, I would most likely get it starting first of next year that way I know I would be putting 700 towards the 1000 for next years deductible.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nah - you can probably find a the full clinician manual that has easy to follow set up instructions somewhere. Might have to do some deep searching on the world wide interwebs, though.

Oh, yeah, YOU CAN GET THAT HERE! Right on this web site!

And as to ditching Resmed, They make a good machine, but so do other folks. Me, myself, I prefer Respironics or DeVillbiss pretty much any day.

So whatever you prefer, it probably ain't a bad choice.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Thanks, OMMOHY.... (BTW- neat name...!  and I thought I was creative...LOL)  I will read more into what folks recommend on alternatives.  Thanks for your opinion.

to anyone:  I have purchased accessories form retailer #14 and get regular e-mails from them.  I am wondering if there is perhaps an alternate travel type CCCP machine that can suffice as a home base unit and still be a bit more pack-able for my infrequent travels.  I guess I am looking for it all-  an APAP compatible, small unit with humidifier.  I am not truly unsatisfied with the Resmed, other than quality in needing to replace after only 3 years (I know that sounds contradictory.)   But I guess I have the opportunity to explore other options now with a little more experience under my pillow.   Plus, I am not in a rush so I have more time to , ahem, sleep on it[Image: wink.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you'll find the travel machines in general are noisier than the home base types, so you could be taking a big step backwards if you get one.

As to which brand is better, it's probably a case of Holden v Ford (or Mercedes v BMW or whatever). Resmed machines have a reputation of responding faster and more effectively to precursors meaning you can run them at a lower pressure for a similar clinical result. But some people find the rapid pressure increase is disturbing in itself.

Resmeds are made in Australia and Singapore - I'm probably biased but I would always go for the Australian model if possible. My experience with my (now 6 year old) S9 has been very good with only one fault (humidifier) in that time. The humidifier was fixed under warranty and they replaced the blower motor as a precaution, at no charge to me. The machine was 4 years 10 months old at the time - two months short of the warranty expiring.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just my take: ResMed and Respironics are both very good. Not saying others like F & P etc. are not, they just seem less represented in AB population-ish. I like to experiment with stuff, that is until I don't. I'm at that "I don't" point now on my ASV machine make. I know how the one I've got works, I know what to expect in what it's going to do, the treatment will be a certain way, etc. It's still your choice regardless.

On entering the insurance etc. UnMerry Go Round...do what's best for your wallet. I don't currently have a choice; dance with the DME and insurance or do without...not happening. The DME is only doing supplies for me now anyway, not any RT stuff, I taught them too much so they quit trying to teach me. And the machine rental period is over too.

Travel machines are probably best as back-up and travel only. Probably noisier, less humidity control if at all. I get the impression these aren't as durable either.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, I would stay with the ResMed. I had a Phillips Respironics System 1 (top of the line) and was happy with it for 5 1/2 years, but still like my Resmed Airsense 10 far better. My wife has a Dreamstation and is on the third one in just over two years. Her current doctor can't remote into it (although the DME can) and she has to bring it in each time. Not the card, the machine. So, we are changing doctors.

All of her Dreamstations have been very noisy compared to the Resmed.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought a Dreamstation Go Auto travel machine to use as my primary. I can’t say anything about long-term reliability yet, but machine noise has not been a problem. Some masks can be noisy though.

The ResMed Mini is smaller, but by the time you add the brick it needs, there’s not much difference. It also limits you to just a few masks, and doesn’t have a humidifier per se. I don’t think it is supported by Oscar either.

Some of the other travel machines I looked at were also small until you consider the extra stuff they need, and a few had a lot of review comments about limited airflow.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 43 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 166 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,455 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,716 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 499 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,364 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 139 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.