Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I try CPAP over APAP?
Should I try CPAP over APAP?
The last four months have been relatively smooth. I have found a mask that is comfortable and does not leak. My AHIs range from .4 to 2.0 per night. My mouth still gets very dry, that is a minor nuisance.

If I have one problem I would like to solve, it is the face I awaken 3 to 6 times per night. Once to use the toilet. I don't believe I stay awake very long, but I still wake up.

I was wondering if the CPAP mode would help with the multiple wakes up. If that is the case, what setting should I start with, based on the OSCAR graph, which is fairly typical? I also have an EPR of "1". Is that possible to do in the CPAP setting?

Thanks as always

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I try CPAP over APAP?
I changed my EPR from 2 to 3 and I “think” it made a difference.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Renoir,

_ no sure how you feel in general; hopefuly/luckily you feel good. However, actually, I would be surprised you wake  up only three times. I think I see so many respiratory/flow limited-driven arousals/awakenings in between the wakeups;

_ it looks to me you would still have an untreated UARS. Flagged flow limitation would be still too high in my opinion;

_ yet I could not see your E:I ratio, TV (cut on the display), It looks you could be fighting against the APAP (RR and MV too high, it looks);

_ You could try a  low-hope solution by gradually increasing EPR to 3.0. However, I suspect true solution for you would be move to BiPAP;

all the best

Post Reply Post Reply
Your auto pressure only varies by 2 cm between 10 to 12, so that should not be too disruptive. I agree with others that higher EPR would be helpful. You don't have very severe flow limitations, but using more pressure support between EPAP and IPAP will further reduce that problem and should reduce any respiratory effort related arousals (RERA).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your wakeups are reduced over time by tweaking your therapy to avoid sleep disruptions. It's not specifically the mode.
Follow Sleepriders suggestions, they are good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for weighing in.
I'll try EPR 2 tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,422 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,150 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 588 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.