Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I try it or leave it be?
Should I try it or leave it be?
Ok, so here is the deal.

I finally seem to have a mask that is giving me good leak numbers. Using the Swift Lt for her nasal pillow. I am still bound and determined to get the P10 to work, I am adapting the head gear and will report when I finish that.

My AHI is usually less than 1, in the 0.25 to 0.50 range but will go up to 1.50, maybe 1 time a week, which is the highest I have ever been on Cpap. I am on pressure 6. I have occasionally apneas that last quite a long time, 2 nights ago was almost 26 seconds followed by another that was about 10 seconds, but it looks like I am breathing but just pretty shallow.

My apneas don't seem to cluster, they are out of the blue. I have a few centrals since I lost almost 15 lbs.

Last night my AHI was 0.50 and Median leaks were 0 and 95% was 18, my overall has been about 4.5 on the total leaks.

Would you try Auto Set or not, and why? Will it kick in to stop a lengthy Apnea like the 26 second one? Or should I just leave it alone?

I was told by my doctor that I might even have to bring the pressure down as I lose more weight, I have 30 to go. Comments?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I try it or leave it be?
Listen to your doctor.
As you lose weight, you may need less pressure to fix your obstructive apnea. Too high a pressure may result may in more central apnea.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Ever heard the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Your numbers fall into that category.

Autoset would adjust better to your changing weight and other conditions. A 26 second apnea is not unusual.
An AHI in the sub 1 and in the 1.x range is low.
You're not at a very high pressure at 6 cm-H2O.

You say you breath shallow. Most people do during sleep. The Tidal Volume is a measure of how shallow.
There's a range of what normal TV is. Around 500 ml is normal.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2014, 03:11 PM)justMongo Wrote: Ever heard the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Your numbers fall into that category.

Autoset would adjust better to your changing weight and other conditions. A 26 second apnea is not unusual.
An AHI in the sub 1 and in the 1.x range is low.
You're not at a very high pressure at 6 cm-H2O.

You say you breath shallow. Most people do during sleep. The Tidal Volume is a measure of how shallow.
There's a range of what normal TV is. Around 500 ml is normal.

These are the stats from last night, the tidal volume is low, is this ok?

Statistics
Channel Min Med 95% Max
PressurePressure (cmH20)
W-Avg: 6.00 6.00 6.00 6.00 6.00
EPAPExpiratory Pressure (cmH20)
W-Avg: 4.00 4.00 4.00 4.00 4.00
Minute Vent.Minute Ventilation (L/min)
W-Avg: 4.37 1.62 4.12 6.62 9.88
Resp. RateRespiratory Rate (breaths/min)
W-Avg: 15.41 6.40 15.40 18.80 22.80
Flow LimitFlow Limit Graph (0-1)
W-Avg: 0.03 0.00 0.00 0.15 0.33
LeaksLeak Rate (L/min)
W-Avg: 4.18 0.00 0.00 18.00 20.40
SnoreSnore (unknown)
W-Avg: 0.01 0.00 0.00 0.04 0.04
Insp TimeInspiratory Time (seconds)
W-Avg: 1.85 0.08 1.76 2.64 3.68
Exp TimeExpiratory Time (seconds)
W-Avg: 2.09 0.42 2.06 3.00 3.76
Tidal VolumeTidal Volume (ml)
W-Avg: 284.44 60.00 260.00 480.00 820.00

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2014, 02:45 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: Would you try Auto Set or not, and why? Will it kick in to stop a lengthy Apnea like the 26 second one? Or should I just leave it alone?
IMO, everyone should have an AutoSet ... no if or but Coffee

The machine does not try to increase pressure during an event, try prevent further ones
But the AutoSet have a weapon in its arsenal ... take early action in order to prevent an anticipated event happening

Whatever EPR set at 2 or 3, pressure does not drop below 4
Won't hurt to fiddle with EPR a little, lower it or turn off (if you can live without) and see whats happen
You can always turn it back on
Post Reply Post Reply
Marnid, I agree with Mongo, just leave it and relax, those sort of numbers don't really mean anything, you are doing well. Both lots of software can pick up things like movement or coughing and record them as centrals, so don't worry about that. The most important thing with those numbers or any numbers is how you feel during the day, if you are better than you were prior to CPAP, everything is fine. On the weight loss, it is great for your health, but your pressure can't go much lower as 4 is the minimum and there is not a great deal of difference between 6 and 4. If you go to 4 it would be borderline whether you require a CPAP or not, so I would stick with the Elite.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, I think I get too wrapped up in this, last night I slept really well, I am making myself not get up for a bio break when I wake, I was getting up so much, for no reason, watching the clock, Why??? Who knows??? Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
How do you know how long your events are? C
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Marnid: yeah, just leave it where it is. Concentrate on losing weight and getting good sleep. Your numbers are good. The length of the occasional one is okay, too.

As long as you are feeling well after a night of sleep, leave the pressure alone. Decide on a weight goal. If you have 30lbs to go, then, say, at 15lbs, take a good look at your data. If the AHI continues to drop, then perhaps you could lower the pressure half a point. But only if enough time has passed. In the meantime, just watch it and live your life.

ReadyForSleep: In SH, with a day showing, on the left you will see some tabs below the calendar. Click on Events. Then click on the type of Event, such as Obstructive. You will see a list of your events. #001, #002, etc. At the end of each line with be a number in parenthesis. That's the time of each event in seconds. No event is counted unless it lasts 10 seconds or longer. If you click on an event, SH will zoom in on it.

[attachment=832]
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2014, 02:45 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: Ok, so here is the deal.
. . .
Would you try Auto Set or not, and why? Will it kick in to stop a lengthy Apnea like the 26 second one? Or should I just leave it alone?

(05-24-2014, 04:38 PM)zonk Wrote: IMO, everyone should have an AutoSet ... no if or but Coffee

Hi Marnid2014,
I'm with Zonk on this one. Your treatment is working well at the moment, leaks low and AHI excellent. But times change, conditions change, your body may change, you might need meds for some reason that interact with or affect you sleep, etc. etc.

Your S9 Elite is not adaptable, an S9 Autoset is. When I received my Apnea diagnosis, I was titrated by sending a loaner S9 Autoset home with me to use for a couple of nights, set wide open at 4 - 20 cm. I started researching, and part of the reason I pushed for an S9 Autoset was because they had used it to determine what my pressure should be. My reasoning was, If it's a suitable tool for a titration study, it can be used to repeat such a study as often as seems appropriate.

If you are comfortable and doing fine with a straight CPAP, great. No stress, no rush, but look for your opportunity to upgrade to an S9 Autoset. It can be set to run exactly as your Elite is running now. But then you will have the option to do something about it if your situation changes. Your Elite can always become your backup unit.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck and smooth PAPing . . .
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Raise max pressure or leave it alone? big_dave 4 337 02-20-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: TexasDon
  Navigating medical leave zoraa 2 465 06-04-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: zoraa
  Aisense 10 - leave on or turn off? lacro 23 12,829 01-19-2020, 05:25 PM
Last Post: harrywr2
  Why does SleepyHead leave a blank before you go to bed? HalfAsleep 13 2,592 02-01-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: CB91710
Question Adjust Settings or Leave Them Be? Melman 15 3,283 04-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Unplugged or leave it on ? tommyngo 9 2,810 10-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes
  Airsense 10 [not the Elite]: Leave on Autoset? jc1brady 23 6,618 09-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Last Post: zonk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.