Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should PAP therapy eliminate all snoring?
Should PAP therapy eliminate all snoring?
If some snoring is still present, does this mean that PAP is not optimal?

If so, should EPAP or IPAP be raised to correct this? Obstructive apnea is pretty much at 0 but still have some snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should PAP therapy eliminate all snoring?
good question. I'm no expert but a couple comments: ideally, treatment for oa will reduce if not eliminate snoring. as a practical matter, at least in my limited experience, it does not completely eliminate snoring. it is of diagnostic use however, inasmuch as my ex sleep doc asked about snoring a couple times in relation to the efficacy of my treatment. in addition, I'm not convinced all flagged snores are snores. regardless, I'm sure that I continue to snore a little, judging by my wife's active elbow (nothing like pre cpap though). listening to an audio recording, my cpap snores are quite different with treatment. certainly quieter. and smoother if you can imagine such a thing. occurs mostly during leaks, both leaks and snoring caused I believe by supine palatal collapse in deep sleep. only thing to do is raise inhale pressure to see if the snores decline. otoh, they say that snoring in and of itself is not so harmful. ahi of near 0 is pretty hard to beat unless you feel poorly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting question.
I do meditation with a group. I have issues with snoring. I know, I should be meditating. I'm trying to....
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses guys. Anybody else with their thoughts on this subject?
Post Reply Post Reply
I really hesitate to say all of anything, but snoring should be reduced to a minimum.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is my expectation that we all have event's duly recorded, some spurious, some real, some real and innocuous, others real and dangerous.  I always have at least one CA each night, the occasional snore (apparently, but who knows...wife doesn't complain), some hypos, the odd obstructive.  The machine says they happened, and I'm hoping that any deleterious effect was duly minimized.  For me, flow limitation depictions that are consonant with depictions of events in the top chart, my stated AHI, and minute vent are important cues as to how I am doing.

I'll tell you what, though; about six months ago I removed my mask and turned off the machine when I awakened and thought I would sit up and go about my day.  Some ten minutes later I was awakened by a loud snort.  I had not passed gas (trust me on this one), and there was nobody else in the room by then.  Needless to say, the machine is a wonder if it has prevented a recurrence since then.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good feedback fellas preciate it!
Post Reply Post Reply
I watched my wife's snoring begin and get worse over about 15 years. I never saw indications of apnea until this past year or so. meanwhile, we sought some relief from her snoring. she had an at-home sleep test which proved what we already knew. she snores but didn't have apnea at that time. we told the doc all that before the test. it was wasted time and money; they never had an interest in snoring, just apnea, so no treatment was offered. also during this time I was beginning my first use of apap and I asked my sleep doc (a different one) if we could put her on a machine just to stop the snoring. at first he said no but when I told him I was willing to pay for the machine he said to make her an appointment. we haven't yet and now she would likely qualify for a machine. but what I took away is that insurers don't care about snoring and won't pay for a machine for that purpose but that cpap might be an effective tool to at least reduce snoring even if it isn't it's intended purpose. some speculation here and I guess it still doesn't answer Michaely6's question, but it does kind of support the idea that cpap must be effective against snoring to some degree but must not be 100% effective or, as we often hear, big pharma and the machine mfgrs would have jumped on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine essentially has... I've asked people who've slept in the same room as me and they say I didn't snore.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had moderate apnea but "bring down the house" snoring, very loud. With the machine, I am as quiet as a mouse.

I'd get a second hand machine off Craigslist and hook her up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 21 602 Yesterday, 04:24 PM
Last Post: jakespeare65
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 61 2,257 Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  Therapy using Lumis 150 ST StuartC 135 7,150 Yesterday, 04:26 AM
Last Post: StuartC
  mallar's therapy thread mallar 4 82 03-17-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 203 8,291 03-17-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 13 699 03-16-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: marcinpiskala
  SleepyLlama therapy thread SleepyLlama 3 159 03-15-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: SleepyLlama

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.