Poll: Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
No
Yes
[Show Results]

Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
Joanster Offline

Members

Machine: Remstar auto a flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit 10
Humidifier: respironics
CPAP Pressure: 7-12Ontario
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

RE: Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
(03-14-2012 09:54 AM)CHanlon Wrote:  I agree that there should be at least an initial prescription. One thing I *don't* think should be part of it, is a restriction on CPAP vs APAP - and issue I had. I had weeks of data from a loaner APAP machine that APAP was more effective for me then CPAP... yet my 2 hour, fitful sleep during my titration study didn't "qualify" me for one. I had to argue for it, and in the end, buy it outright because my Dr. wouldn't submit that I needed one.

Thank you for your post--I am in the same boat as of today. I had 4 hrs sleep at the second sleep over at the clinic. The tech said I wouldn't qualify based on last nights study for the auto. Plus he changed the settings to constant 11 as it cpap with a ramp setting as well. I tried it, at home tonight, thought i was having a panic attack, it was horrible, and I can not sleep with it. I had 4 hrs sleep last night, and now have no idea tonight how i will manage as I had severe apnea 48 pr hour when tested last month , and put on the auto for trail. I have 2 more weeks before going back to the dr. but I wont last that long. I am a senior who I swear was ready to stroke or have a heart attack before getting my machine last month-[chest pains, high bld pressure, feeling like i was having an anxiety attach, all went away with the auto machine for one month, -now it has been change--i will try and deal this tomorrow ---but no way can i use the cpap i got today--stupid gov't won't even let you pay out of your own money to upgrade--its cruel and crazy..Oh-jeez
05-27-2015 11:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

(05-27-2015 11:22 PM)Joanster Wrote:  [quote='CHanlon' pid='2888' dateline='1331736884']
I agree that there should be at least an initial prescription. One thing I *don't* think should be part of it, is a restriction on CPAP vs APAP - and issue I had. I had weeks of data from a loaner APAP machine that APAP was more effective for me then CPAP... yet my 2 hour, fitful sleep during my titration study didn't "qualify" me for one. I had to argue for it, and in the end, buy it outright because my Dr. wouldn't submit that I needed one.

The tech was feeding you crap. You don't need special qualification to get an auto machine. Just insist that the doctor write the script for an auto machine as (a) your needs may change and (b) the automachines provide data to improve your care.
05-28-2015 09:37 AM
trailrider Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: A10 Autoset for Her
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Eson or P10
Humidifier: autoset
CPAP Pressure: 6-12 DME, 7-13 me
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: engineer. EPR at 3, unheated hose, humidity at 2. Routine hose entanglement.

In Ontario OHIP will only pay the extra few$$ they do for an auto if medically indicated. (They pay a minimum, you pick up the rest). That means there has to be reason that straight CPAP is less effective for the patient. Typically this means there has to be a spread of at least 4ccH2O between min and max pressures.

A poor quality study (to short, too broken, etc.) won't give the full set of sleep cycle and positional (side, back, stomach) data, and the spread of pressures needed won't be seen.

As far as the OHIP APAP policy goes, maybe it's timefor OHIP to rethink that since the manufacturers price gap between the machines has dropped over the past several years. The DMEs overcharge for everything anyways. I buy my supplies online from the US and get them shipped in. Still cheaper that way.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2015 10:19 AM by trailrider.)
05-28-2015 10:19 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
trailrider Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: A10 Autoset for Her
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Eson or P10
Humidifier: autoset
CPAP Pressure: 6-12 DME, 7-13 me
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: engineer. EPR at 3, unheated hose, humidity at 2. Routine hose entanglement.

Also, the tech at the sleep clinic should not have changed your settings. It is up to the doctor to prescribe the settings, and the DME RT will adjust them. It is not his machine to touch.

He might either have been trying to be helpful. Or is the sleep study clinic also dispensing the equipment? That is very odd. Anyways, as I said in a different post, take your machine to the place where you got it from and tell them you are having problems.
05-28-2015 10:23 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Before a CPAP is issued, the person shall be required to take a 40 hour training course approved by the state; and submit to a criminal background check which shall include livescan fingerprinting. There shall be a 10 day waiting period. Before delivery, the person shall demonstrate safe handling of the machine. All CPAPs shall have a fingerprint ID system such that only the patient can operate the machine. Every CPAP shall be delivered with a childproof lock. The humidifier capacity shall be limited to 10 milliliters of water. A distilled water purchase permit shall be required to obtain water refills. The Department of CPAP shall keep a record of on the make, model and serial number of all issued CPAPs. An annual record fee of $25 shall be required to maintain the DOC.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-28-2015 10:40 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Smile [CPAP] Diagnosis + prescription = Frustration... ApneaBoard + experimenting = Salvation! OldVet 8 258 11-28-2016 08:24 PM
Last Post: OldVet
  Resmed Autosense 10 - no prescription WomblingFree 7 487 10-26-2016 02:53 PM
Last Post: WomblingFree
  CPAP prescription/DME regulation scottae316 9 339 10-19-2016 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Service Required Error Codes - Inner Workings of a CPAP machine SuperSleeper 18 65,153 10-10-2016 01:48 PM
Last Post: juan345
  [Treatment] Advice Required n00blit 9 492 10-04-2016 10:28 AM
Last Post: n00blit
  Why is a prescription required? FrankNichols 36 1,628 08-29-2016 12:16 AM
Last Post: HGMonaro
  Prescription rights xdocgx 15 794 08-05-2016 10:15 PM
Last Post: Ghost1958